Another problem with SIS!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russryder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Another problem with SIS!!! Reply with quote

After installing and reinstalling Gentoo for about a month I finally got everything working. Then my HD died and I bought a WD 7200 rpm 100gig hd and reinstalled Windows XP on hda1. Then I installed Gentoo from a level 3 tarball.
hda2=boot partition
hda3=swap partition
hda4=root partition
everything went perfectly smooth lan was up. I installed everything that I needed into the kernel. I try to stay away from the modules. I installed the sis900 driver into the kernel. That's the same way that I got it working
last time. This time when I reboot after installation my lan does not work. I'm about to just start over from scratch again. If anyone has any info on this board (aka best bios settings for linux etc) please post it.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the SIS900 NIC and it is onboard my mainboard. There are a few boards out with this configuration though, so you might want to post what board you have if you are looking for others to assist you with BIOS settings. I have not changed my settings since I migrated from Win2K over half a year ago, so I don't think it is likely BIOS settings related anyway though. Are you sure you setup your eth0 settings correctly? The only time I have had trouble with my sis900 was when I had accidentally configured my broadcast ip to 192.168.0.254 instead of 192.168.0.255. Which will break things very quickly, you will not be able to access anything at all. So you might check your settings in the /etc/conf.d/net file to be sure they are correct.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
russryder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cheapass ECS k7s5a. I have the same eth0 settings in setup as I do when I reboot. I even tried to compile it as a module with no luck. I have the 010911 bios and everything seems to have the same irq of 11. I would like to have this corrected, but nothing seems to work with that. I dont have any conflicts in XP though.
russryder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot to mention. During installation I forgot to mount the proc fs. When I restarted I didn't have any errors with that and it mounted perfectly fine. I don't know if that's a could cause a problem with my eth0 or not. I also would like to know what it does if anyone knows.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to fix the IRQ's all gathering on 11 or 9 is to disable ACPI. This is a known phenomenon within Windows and other OS's, search google and you will find some very good explanations about why this happens. There should be no conflicts of any kind anywhere, is what it all boils down to. The difference after the reboot is though that when you boot up the settings come from your /etc/conf.d/net instead of the explicit command you executed during setup from the CD. You can verify this by executing the commands again while in your system to see if I am correct.

I also suffer with the ECS K7S5A, so I feel your pain!!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
russryder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that when I get off of work this afternoon. Will post again then.
russryder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the settings are correct. I don't know what else to do besides start over from scratch. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm going to start from scratch tomorrow evening.
tebers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
The only way to fix the IRQ's all gathering on 11 or 9 is to disable ACPI. This is a known phenomenon within Windows and other OS's, search google and you will find some very good explanations about why this happens. There should be no conflicts of any kind anywhere, is what it all boils down to. The difference after the reboot is though that when you boot up the settings come from your /etc/conf.d/net instead of the explicit command you executed during setup from the CD. You can verify this by executing the commands again while in your system to see if I am correct.

I also suffer with the ECS K7S5A, so I feel your pain!!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

well i have as well this mb and it works fine. you should upgrade your bios .

Thorsten
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: