Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
A successful failure install (slightly long post )
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien Orifice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: A successful failure install (slightly long post ) Reply with quote

Well, I've got no idea what to make of this!

I recently posted ( install not going well, fdisk possibly broken? ) about fdisk giving me grief. It turned out that it would not allow me to specify hda as the disk I wished to use. I have only one hd in this box.

In an effort to get around this I used a Suse 7.3 cd with their Yast tool and lo and behold it chose hdc as the disk(??!??) . I figured, hey it's working, go with it.

I partitioned it and exited the Suse install, rebooted and started the Gentoo stage1 install again. Just for fun, I fired up fdisk and it again balked at hda, so I specified hdc and BAM! off it went. Cool, says me.

I continued through the install guide, going along....

When I got to the bootstrap process I let it rip... the guide says 1-2 hours based on machine speed, using the authors 900Mhz Athlon as a baseline example( about 1 hour ). I have a P3 Socket 370 550Mhz so I assumed about 2 hours. It took 4 and a half!!!! Ouch.

For the most part, although it was hairy for a nOOb like me, I got through to the end! Now it gets weird....

During grub setup it reported /boot as ext2 although I specified ext3 throughout the install ( maybe it should say that? ).

Then I could not get it to umount the boot/install cd when I was ready to finally reboot. Couldn't do it in the chroot environment, or after when I umounted the other partitions per the guide. I typed reboot anyway and it sorta hung when it restarted ( my BIOS was still set to look to it first for booting ) and then made an odd sound and ejected the disk as the grub menu appeared.

I thought... ok, got the grub menu so maybe I'm ok.

As it began to load I lot of things blew by that didn't look good. Among them, I SWEAR I saw something about my cdrom drive being device hda!!! Also, although I am pretty sure device file system was selected when I compiled the kernel, it reported that devfs ( am I even talking about the right thing here? ) was not enabled and Gentoo requires it, you need it...etc.

Next there were a list of messages about the ethernet interface not happening ( it worked fine during the setup )

SIOCSIFADDR, SIOCSIFBRDADDR, SIOCSIFNETMASK, SIOCADDRT...unknown interface... no such device

obvious that the ethernet settings went south somewhere.

Finally, I did get a login prompt! I installed Gentoo from the ground up in one try, albeit with a few problems!

Anyway, does anyone think I can/should try and fix/save this install? If so, what/how would you do it/begin? I realize its a loaded question as I haven't told you all the errors ( most went by rather quick on boot ) but opinions/suggestions are good! Or, and I'm leaning this way as I believe something evil happened along the way, should I get some sleep and start over from the beginning this weekend?

Thx to all for help, and thanks to the Gentoo people for giving the gift of their time and genius to the world! Even if I never get it running right, it is time well spent learning, doing, tinkering.... :arrow: :mrgreen:
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shot in the dark here, but is it possible you have your cdrom on your primary master IDE channel and your HD as secondary master? That's sure what it sounds like. Check it out and if so, fix that and it would probably be best to just start over on the install.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instinct wrote:
Just a shot in the dark here, but is it possible you have your cdrom on your primary master IDE channel and your HD as secondary master? That's sure what it sounds like.

Sounds reasonable.

Quote:
Check it out and if so, fix that and it would probably be best to just start over on the install.

I don't see why reinstallation would be needed. At worst, a boot from the rescue CD, new kernel configuration and compilation, and Alien Orifice should be in good shape, I would think.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hdc is most certainly the master device on the second channel. So there is no debating that your hard disk is there, your CD-Rom could be anywhere other than hdc (which leaves hda hdb hdd) but it is most likely hda as master on your primary channel. I see no problem with this at all, so long as everything knows where to look (which requires you to remember this about your system.) Given grub and your /etc/fstab are correct there should really be no more hassles. In the future you might want to change them around so that you have an easier time next go around.

So for the "SIOCSIFADDR, SIOCSIFBRDADDR, SIOCSIFNETMASK, SIOCADDRT...unknown interface... no such device" You might want to check out this other thread.

As for the DevFS this was the single hardest thing for me to fix on my first few Gentoo installations. You will need to recompile your kernel. You need to follow these directions VERY CLOSELY from the Gentoo Build Document.

Gentoo Linux 1.2 Installation Instructions wrote:
Warning: For your kernel to function properly, there are several options that you will need to ensure are in the kernel proper -- that is, they should be enabled and not compiled as modules. You will need to enable the "Code maturity level options --> Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" option to see several of these selections. Under the "File systems" section, be sure to enable the "Device File System" (note that you don't need to enable the "/dev/pts file system support" option). You'll also need to enable the "Virtual Memory Filesystem". Be sure to enable "ReiserFS" if you have any ReiserFS partitions; the same goes for "Ext3". If you're using XFS, enable the "SGI XFS filesystem support" option. It's always a good idea to leave ext2 enabled whether you are using it or not. Also, most people using IDE hard drives will want to enable the "USE DMA by default" option; otherwise, your IDE drives may perform very poorly. Of course, remember to enable "IDE disk" support as well -- otherwise your kernel won't be able to see your IDE disks.

Important: If you have an IDE cd burner, then you need to enable SCSI emulation in the kernel. Turn on "ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support" ---> "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices" ---> "SCSI emulation support" (I usually make it a module), then under "SCSI support" enable "SCSI support", "SCSI CD-ROM support" and "SCSI generic support" (again, I usually compile them as modules). If you also choose to use modules, then echo -e "ide-scsi\nsg\nsr_mod" >> /etc/modules.autoload to have them automatically added at boot time.

Alien Orifice wrote:
Anyway, does anyone think I can/should try and fix/save this install? If so, what/how would you do it/begin?

To answer this question, with my opinion: you should try and repair this system which I think is possible. The most challenging part will be the eth0 problem if the other thread does not fix your issue. But it is still do-able. eth0 problems can only be so hard, especially since it works from the boot cd, that gives us a good place to start for troubleshooting. Are you trying to use DHCP for your network card, or do you have a static IP?

Hope that information helps!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Alien Orifice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, thanks for the advice.

Regarding the cdrom/hard drive issues, I did replace the mobo in this box about 3 months ago. Although I always connect my boot hd to the first primary channel ( esp. when there is only one disk as is the case here ), it is probable that I may have screwed up and connected them backward. It is a small mid-tower case so the cables are a little crowded. I will check that it is in the proper order. I would then need to recompile the kernel, re-edit grub and fstab to sort it all out I assume. Maybe I can get ext3 as the file system to stick as well.

Thoughts:
So, hda and hdb would be the primary and secondary IDE's on the first channel, and hdc and hdd would be the same on the second channel?

If I have my hd on the first channel as primary, and then the cdrom on the second channel ( both as master ) would the cd drive show up as hdc? why is there /dev/cdrom/cdrom0 then? I am a little confused ( need to do some more research it seems ).

Regarding the devfs problem, I recall it being pre-selected in the config tool for the kernel. Is there somewhere else it is set too? Also, I did not see a "USE DMA by default" option anywhere. Under IDE options there was one for PCI DMA and another that said USE DMA only for disks. I will definitely re-examine closer while fixing my other problems.

Lastly I will check out the other thread supplied by Bonez.

Alright, this weekend I attempt to save the install.... if it fails I'll start over.

-AO
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien Orifice wrote:

Regarding the devfs problem, I recall it being pre-selected in the config tool for the kernel. Is there somewhere else it is set too? Also, I did not see a "USE DMA by default" option anywhere. Under IDE options there was one for PCI DMA and another that said USE DMA only for disks. I will definitely re-examine closer while fixing my other problems.

It's been my experience that devfs has never been selected by default. Under filesystems the option should look like this (minus the quotes) "/dev file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)" I also select "Automaticly mount at boot" but that's probably not needed as I've never seen anyone refer to it.

I use the PCI DMA option for the HD as well... I never saw that "Use DMA by default" option either, perhaps someone else could confirm.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instinct wrote:
I also select "Automaticly mount at boot" but that's probably not needed as I've never seen anyone refer to it.

The Gentoo docs used to tell us not to turn this on, but I think the rc scripts now can handle it either way - if the kernel mounts it, great. If not, the rc scripts will do it for you. I turn it on in the kernel personally.

Quote:
I use the PCI DMA option for the HD as well... I never saw that "Use DMA by default" option either, perhaps someone else could confirm.

I have IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices -> Generic PCI IDE chipset support -> Use PCI DMA by default when available. Is that what everybody's referring to?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
I have IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices -> Generic PCI IDE chipset support -> Use PCI DMA by default when available. Is that what everybody's referring to?
I also have "[*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA support" which is a few above the PCI DMA entry.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien Orifice wrote:
Regarding the devfs problem, I recall it being pre-selected in the config tool for the kernel. Is there somewhere else it is set too?

I have never heard of or seen the devfs enabled in the kernel by default. You must first enable the option "Code maturity level options --> Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" and then you will be able to see devfs in the file systems menu/subsection, with out the "Code maturity level options --> Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" enabled the devfs is hidden, and you will never see it.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When grub reports the partition as ext2 that's fine. In fact, ext3 partitions ARE ext2 partitions with special hidden journaling files. If something treats it as ext2 it will be OK, it just won't use the journaling feature. In the case of grub, there's no reason to because it doesn't write data to the partition.

If your cdrom is on /dev/hdc then that and /dev/cdrom/cdrom0 are effectively aliases for the same thing. Also, if you once you get devfs set in your kernel, it will probably fix some of the other errors you're getting. I don't think you'll probably have to start over from scratch - worse case you shouldn't have to do much more than a kernel recompile and maybe some config tweaking.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: