Help! /etc 33 files need updating
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jestic008
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Help! /etc 33 files need updating Reply with quote

Ok i am finally done doing the

emerge kde-base/kde

step and now i got a message saying that 33 files in /etc need updating.
it would be helpful if it was to tell me HOW to do that....

all it said was to look at "emerge --help config" and thats basically just info and no instructions on what to do next.

everything is not in the path. if i was to type xf86config or startx i get command not found.

help ?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help! /etc 33 files need updating Reply with quote

Jestic008 wrote:
all it said was to look at "emerge --help config" and thats basically just info and no instructions on what to do next.

The easiest way to do this is to emerge gentoolkit, and then run etc-update. It will guide you through this process.

Quote:
everything is not in the path. if i was to type xf86config or startx i get command not found.

Once the files in /etc are set up correctly, if you're still having this problem, try running "env-update" as root, and then either logging out and back in or running ". /etc/profile" in an existing session.
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit initimidating at first.

Easiest way is to emerge gentoolkit, if you don't have it, then run
Code:

etc-update

This will show you the files and enable you to compare them, then decide what to do.

However, even etc-update can be a bit confusing for the beginner. Basically, take a look at what files have been updated. Also, first, back up etc

cp -r /etc /etc/.old

A few other tricks, (learned the hard way from some goofs with BSD which has something similar.

You're doing this as root.

After you merge or overwrite each old file, go to another terminal and make sure you can still log in as root and still log in as at least one regular user. If you can't, then replace that file from the /etc.old

I don't use kde so not sure what files have been updated--often, (but not always) if it's a file that you don't recognize, you can quite possibly just install the new one.

Anyway, give etc-update a try, then come back with whatever questions you have about it.

As for the $PATH issue--do echo $PATH and see what's going on. That can be changed in /etc/profile--you'll see the PATH variable there and you can add the necessary ones. Again, I don't use KDE, so I'm assuming that it would still have the path /usr/X11R6/bin

HTH a bit until someone more knowledgeable about KDE steps in. Anyway, don't panic about this one, it's not that difficult to fix

Scott
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This script will allow you to update files that you have not touched in one shot. It is typically safe to overwrite such files. You can run this prior to running etc-update to save you some work.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help! /etc 33 files need updating Reply with quote

Long term, read Portage User Manual at www.gentoo.org

Short term, when you emerge a package with a new version (and you have an old version), it won't overwrite certain files, like for example, the ones under /etc. It will create a new file ._cfg_ something for every file it would write there. Then, you should (as root) manually verify which are the differences to the old files and correct whatever you think you should, then erase the ._cfg file...

For example, you could find these files using "find"
Code:

find /etc -name ._cfg\*

Then, you could use "diff" to verify the differences between old and new files
Code:

diff /etc/._cfg0000_profile /etc/profile

And them edit profile (or just overwrite it with the new version, if you are sure....) and so on. Please read the manual....

Jestic008 wrote:
Ok i am finally done doing the

emerge kde-base/kde

step and now i got a message saying that 33 files in /etc need updating.
it would be helpful if it was to tell me HOW to do that....

help ?
Jestic008
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got that part working.
now a new issue of which after i did the installation of the nivida-kernel and nvidia-glx and modifying the XF86Config properly when i type startx the nvidia logo comes on but its all SMEARED.

this is really odd.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'etc-update' have been moved to portage.

Code:
emerge portage

should do make etc-update work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: