Quick Search: in
X windows flashes me
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omycrap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: X windows flashes me Reply with quote

ok im a major newb so needless t say ive been having problems with installation, but after a week i thought i finally had it all up and rnning i had installed x and kde, but i set x to start at boot but unfortunately it just flickers at me and doesnt don anything just flicker....flicker....flicker. I think i may know what the problem is (altho i probably dont) but i cant get back to a console! ctrl alt backspace doesnt work, how do i get back to a console so i can actually use my system? pleez help im going crazy. :cry:
blunted
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctrl + alt + f2
omycrap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: thx but nope Reply with quote

thanx i tried i tried it out just now but unfortunately it didnt do anything.
bonto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: just for reference Reply with quote

I decided to register because i have a feeling illl be using this a lot :wink: so i am no longer omycrap guest i am bonto n00b, why? i dunno. anywho thought i'd say that so if nyone tries to help and i reply they wont go "who the heck is his guy?" alho really ur probably intelligent enough to figure it out but still i was bored...
bonto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: ctrl+alt+f2 Reply with quote

so that fianaly worked because the flicker lasted long enough for the x commands to work and it proceeded to boot me into another console... Unfortunately within hirty seconds it proceeded to try to boot x again........ so i think im f***ed.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: just for reference Reply with quote

bonto wrote:
I decided to register because i have a feeling illl be using this a lot :wink: so i am no longer omycrap guest i am bonto n00b, why? i dunno. anywho thought i'd say that so if nyone tries to help and i reply they wont go "who the heck is his guy?" alho really ur probably intelligent enough to figure it out but still i was bored...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gentoo and Linux :)

I have seen this problem before. It is basically because the X server fails and since you have defaulted to start up either directly to a desktop or to a login-manager when the system boots, the system tries to restart X when it fails. That is why you see flicker all the time, X restarts. It is actually not possible to switch to a text based console when this happens since the X server respawns too quickly.

Here is what you ned to do:
1. Boot the machine with the Gentoo install CD.
2. Mount your partitions as you did during the inital install
3. First check var/log for any XFree86 log files. They might give you some more information about what causes the problem (most likely unsupported resolution)
4. Change etc/inittab to start in single user mode:
id:3:initdefault:
change to
id:1:initdefault:

Now reboot the machine as normal and fix whatever problem causes X to fail. When done, change your inittab file back (after testing X by using startx) to runlevel 3 which will, when you reboot, start up X by default.

Hope this helps!
Erik
bonto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: THANK YOU! Reply with quote

Thank you very much i go do that now. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!
-this post willl be deleted if it does not work :wink:
bonto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: WOO! Reply with quote

I followed your basic instructions and short story even shorter i am writing this from my shiny new gentoo system, i can see why everyone likes it so much already!
THANKYOUAGAIN!! I AM ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!!!
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i can see why everyone likes it so much already!

Yippee!! Congratulations
bonto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
Quote:
i can see why everyone likes it so much already!

Yippee!! Congratulations

lol thanx
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WOO! Reply with quote

bonto wrote:
I followed your basic instructions and short story even shorter i am writing this from my shiny new gentoo system, i can see why everyone likes it so much already!
THANKYOUAGAIN!! I AM ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!!!

Great!!!!!!!

Glad i could of some help!
I spent a while trying to figure this one out myself when it first happened to me, now I was able to help a fellow Linux-ian! Cool!

Good Luck with your shiny new OS :)

Erik
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:idea: A very clear and concise explanation as to what was going on with the X server :oops: especially since I've had that problem before. It did explain why I had to use my boot floppy to get into single user mode to fix it though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: