82%  [ 97 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 117

TuxFriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Do you want to help Gentoo financially? Reply with quote

Please post here your view on how we can help Gentoo to get some real cash. By providing information here we can help Gentoo with building a good financial-structure. Thanks for your help.

TuxFriend

- Are you willing to pay for open source software?
- Do you want to help Gentoo financially?
- How would you (not) like to make a donation (credit card, deposit, etc.)
- How frequently would you like to make a donation (once, new release, monthly, etc.)
- Where do you live?
- If you have any other relevant questions for this poll please post them so other users can respond to it.

http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-announce/2002-September/000201.html
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you want to help Gentoo financially? Reply with quote

TuxFriend wrote:
Not before I use it to see if I want it.
Quote:
- Do you want to help Gentoo financially?
Yes, answered in the 'poll' above.
Quote:
- How would you (not) like to make a donation (credit card, deposit, etc.)
I will not make an online payment of any form.
Quote:
- How frequently would you like to make a donation (once, new release, monthly, etc.)
Depends on the payment amount. I'd also have to be employed first.
Quote:
- Where do you live?
At home ;)

I'd like to see some method of purchasing Gentoo for your first install. People paying online could 'donate' predefined amounts or specify the amount themselves. This would pay for your initial setup. After the initial setup, I'd like to see a 'subscription' type service with fees based on the bandwidth you consume. Not necessarily 'flat' rates. Perhaps a log could be kept on your machine with a chart of suggested donations. For example, Gentoo Member (level 1), Silver, Gold, Platinum. Of course, customized donations could be allowed. This would show how much you were using the features of Gentoo/portage and allow you to pay appropriately.
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you want to help Gentoo financially? Reply with quote

TuxFriend wrote:

http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-announce/2002-September/000201.html

Yes I would pay: especially when I use Free Software at work I like to ensure my employer pays for the benefits they get. Paying for distribution CD's is easiest in that respect. Personally I would be happy to make a credit card donation if only it wasn't through PayPal. I am in the UK, otherwise I would send a cheque.
surak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the problem at hand is a lack of income for Daniel Robbins and I don't think he can make a livable income off gentoo based on donations. He is a very talented idividual and I'm sure he'll find something. The problem with donations to gentoo and free software in general is there's so little money to go around in the first place. Aside from corporate sponsors and donations, most people can't afford to give that much, and I'm always worried that what money these people do get isn't enough. I think the best way to help with gentoo is not with monetary contributions but with things that will benefit the end result of the distro, like submitting ebuilds, bug reports, patches, fixes, offering support and the like.
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the best way to help with gentoo is not with monetary contributions but...

i don't know. if its me (and its not), i don't think i'd mind any little bit of cash flow available. the community is obviously here to help when help is needed. i'm pretty sure that even a $5 would make its mark for a 6 pak of something cool and refreshing after a long night in front of the ol' CRT. word.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for helping drobbins out but, being that I am a college student, and I have little or no cash (what I have goes to food for my appartment), I really wouldn't be able to afford any type of subscription service. I don't pay for software, I get it free from the school cause I bought my lappy from them thus anything I need for windows, they have to provide (usually thru a licence that requires me to be on their network, which is no biggy), or I get free stuff (beer / libre) thru the "Linux" effort.

I love Gentoo, and I am going to buy a T-Shirt. I think that I would give drobbins a job, kind of like the job that Linus has at Transmeta, he works for them, but has the ability to do kernel work as well, plus trans gets their chips to be in kernel quick I would assume.

One question that I have is, say, that drobbins can't get a job, what happens to Gentoo? I know that Gentoo is a collective thing, but I believe that a large portion of the distro is based on drobbins' work, and it would be not good to lose lots of time and effort that is put into the distro by him.

Maybe talk with IBM about a job? I think they might be interested? Having the fastest Linux distro come standard on mainframes / z servers / their e thing, what ever that is for web stuff????

Can I have a job too? :roll:
No, not really. I think that the situation drobbins is in right now is slightly more important than me getting a job. And anyways, I am a TA for intro engineering class, $8.50 an hour, whoot!

As for viewing this from poor college student's prospective... if drobbins goes into "very little cash mode"(tm), he could fill out FAFSA form, apply to a school, get lots of financial aid, major in something that he doesn't have a degree in ( i have no idea what ) and get free bandwidth for 4 years?? :lol:

Just my long and silly $0.001.
Techie2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would be willing to do my part. I will not donate via paypal or similar services. I would be willing to buy a distro CD to make a donation. An idea I may or may not use, is what about making certain faster mirrors subscription based. Something that'll probably be considered anyways as the bandwidth load increases along with the user base.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just paid my $28.99 for my tshirt + shippin'. I feel like I have bettered the world.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I PROPOSE WE DONATE US$50 TO GENTOO

and then have a club member number or something.

I will donate $50 and become gentoo user #1

then we can see how much we have donated.

let's try and get 1000 members!

anyone seconding such a motion?
Valen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not getting any cash out of me until I sell last year's university texts :P

Actually I managed to get a pretty good job last summer and wouldn't mind donating something. What I would mind is a nagging reminder system: I feel that all payments should be completely voluntary, it should certainly be easy for people to find out how to donate but I don't think it should be implied that they should donate.

I'm not really sure if this is a possible way to sustain Gentoo and OSS in general has a very hard time fitting into a working business model but I think this is the only nice way to go about it.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
I PROPOSE WE DONATE US$50 TO GENTOO

and then have a club member number or something.

I will donate $50 and become gentoo user #1

then we can see how much we have donated.

let's try and get 1000 members!

anyone seconding such a motion?

No. Sorry, but I just gave $10 out of the money I paid for my t shirt to the Gentoo group, I don't have much. I think that was a pretty good donation, also all the ram I have bought lately for myself and ppl I build comps for has been thru the crucial link on the gentoo.org page.
I don't like subscriptions. Atleast not for software. And I don't like paying money to join an elite group of people, it sounds like some spam money laundering scheme.

THIS IS 100% LEGAL AND FREE OF DRUG OR MONEY LAUNDERING.
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we pay $50 or $10 or whatever we should have a vote on things like features, etc.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough.. what ever floats your boat
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konstk wrote:
If we pay $50 or $10 or whatever we should have a vote on things like features, etc.

I think that voting would be cool, but there isn't that much to vote on.
Just the installer, types of kernels offered in portage, and the web site.
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you people with the voting ideas...

i hope you are somehow involved with gentoo other than maybe writing up the occasionaly ebuild and participating in the forum. if you have ideas, thats what forums and mailing lists are for. but letting people vote on a product they aren't developing is off the mark. the developers know which way they want to go based on peoples dicussions and their own views. not on whether x amount of people thing a gui installer would be cool. member voting bad.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, my subscription idea would be voluntary.

As for spending $30 on a t-shirt, of which $10 went to Gentoo... something seems out of whack. I can mail a $10 check and not waste money on an overpriced t-shirt, or just send a $30 check. *shrug* Whatever floats your boat though.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Just to clarify, my subscription idea would be voluntary.

As for spending $30 on a t-shirt, of which $10 went to Gentoo... something seems out of whack. I can mail a $10 check and not waste money on an overpriced t-shirt, or just send a $30 check. *shrug* Whatever floats your boat though.

It is pretty much just a thing with me. I don't buy clothes, I get them all free, so I figure I can show everyone I use Gentoo by having a cool tshirt and give them 10bucks as well.
Heck, I don't know how to silk screen shirts, so I will pay for a good one.

It was kind of an impulse buy. I do that too much.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, just not something I can bring myself to do. When someone posted a link to the site, I was interested until I saw the prices and donation ration. Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing anyone.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
No problem, just not something I can bring myself to do. When someone posted a link to the site, I was interested until I saw the prices and donation ration. Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing anyone.

No, I know you aren't critisizing, and yes, that amt of money is slightly insane for a tshirt, but oh well.
I have a LinuxPPC shirt too, with big tux on back and it says "Think Linux". I paid too much for that too, but I helped them out.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to hear from those that vote 'No'. The question "Do you want to help Gentoo financially?". If you cannot afford it, that doesn't mean you don't 'want' to help.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has supported the Gentoo community financially, let me pitch in my $.02.

Yes, the software is offered for Free and yes, that's a great thing. However, the rest of the world hasn't caught up yet so most things, like bandwidth, computer hardware, etc. still cost money. (insert obligatory reference to the failure of communism) That money has to come from somewhere -- why not the users themselves? Just because you don't have to pay any money for the program doesn't mean you shouldn't.

It absolutely amazes me how difficult it is to get linux users (or Free software users in general) to pony up any sort of cash or other remuneration for programs that they use and rely upon on a day-to-day basis. I regularly make small donations to software programs that I find valuable to my work and personal life. I can't tell you the number of times I've received an amazed email from the programmer saying, "WOW!!! You were the first person to ever send me anything. THANK YOU!" I think that's sad -- it reflects poorly on the linux/Free Software community and makes us all look like leeches.

There may be those folks who simply cannot afford to donate even $5 to the cause and that's fine. For the other 99.9% of us, is it really that big of a deal to cough up $5 for a full-featured, robust operating system???? That's one beer at a bar. (OK, two if you drink swill)

Or, look at it from a purely selfish point of view -- the more time drobbins and Co. have to work on Gentoo, the better it gets, more features get added, etc. That's a Good Thing, last I checked.

--kurt
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
(insert obligatory reference to the failure of communism)

Actually, I think it would be the failure of Anarchism to proceed to take over the world. I am in an Anarchism class this semester, cool stuff, everyone should learn about it.
In an Anarchist society, everyone does work to help the commune and there is no set government, the people govern themselves in a democratic (not the way the US works, but the true meaning of democracy) way. Communism could have become anarchist, but the small group of elites decided to take over. That is basically the only difference between Anarchism and Communism.

Anarchism is better than Communism, just harder to impliment.

The Linux society is slightly anarchist, but leaning more towards a communist approach, with developers that lead projects and get the ultimate say in what code gets added, while anyone in the group can submit new code and work on the project.

Andrew
bwoods
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you want to help Gentoo financially? Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I'd be curious to hear from those that vote 'No'. The question "Do you want to help Gentoo financially?". If you cannot afford it, that doesn't mean you don't 'want' to help.

I for one would not "donate" and I will tell why. I for one believe that people should get paid for their work, either gentoo is going to be a "job", and you should charge for it or its not a "job" and why should I "donate" I pay for software that I find usefull. And when people run off and spout that $5 would buy you a beer after sitting all day at the CRT, like hell if I am going t support your drinking habbit.

Personally, this thread just turned me off big time from really takeing Gentoo serious. Nothing really gets me more irate at the "free software community" than their attitude that they write code for free, the users should "donate". Thats bunk.

Look, lots of people have hard hard times in IT the last year, the economy in the US sucks, especially in the IT industry, dont see everyone begging do you? Run Gentoo like a business, if it cant make it without "begging" then it folds. Grow up and deal with it and dont BEG.

Now, I shall erase my Gentoo CD-RW, because I can see from this thread, its a big joke. :evil:
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you want to help Gentoo financially? Reply with quote

bwoods wrote:
I for one would not "donate" and I will tell why. I for one believe that people should get paid for their work, either gentoo is going to be a "job", and you should charge for it or its not a "job" and why should I "donate" I pay for software that I find usefull.

That's probably one of the most short-sighted, myopic posts that I've ever read....

--kurt
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you want to help Gentoo financially? Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
That's probably one of the most short-sighted, myopic posts that I've ever read....

"Do not feed the trolls..." 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: