winex / wine for anything
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defknol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: winex / wine for anything Reply with quote

I am not an experienced wine user - I've never actually seen it work. I emerged the wine, winex, and the winesetuptk without any problems.

When I run anything I get something like:

## Start Paste

sh-2.05a$ winex StarCraft.exe
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/mnt/hdb5/windows/fonts/desktop.ini" err = 55
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/mnt/hdb5/windows/fonts/modern.fon" err = 2
err:int:INSTR_IDT_Emulate Evil attempt to exploit win9x system security flaws detected
err:int:INSTR_IDT_Emulate UNIX system security is too strong, can't emulate properly
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x402bc994
sh-2.05a$

## End Paste

I used winesetuptk to make the configs and also attempted to run the regapi which gave me the folloing error:
## Begin paste
/usr/winex/bin/regapi: cannot find 'setValue'
## End Paste

Any ideas? I'd like to see wine work.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any wine related issues I always go to the source winhq.org and then I always go to the Application Database which you can find here I pretty much only use the BrowseApps option. In the application database there is specific setup information for each application. I know many people have Starcraft working in Wine. Hope that helps!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

(Oh yeah also be sure you run the stuff that the end of the ebuild tells you to run so that it creates the user.reg file in your users home directory (in the ./.wine sub directory) as needed--sorry I don't recall exactly what you need to do but it fixed my issues with Diablo II not running)
defknol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: then screw the emerge? Reply with quote

So even though I did what the emerge instructions said and it still doesn't work, then maybe I should just go to the wine site download the source and compile it myself?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was saying that they have directions on how to correct specific issues relating to an application. Thats why I provided a link to the BrowseApps section (as opposed to linking to the tarball for downloading the source.) When I said that I "always go to the source" I didn't mean I don't use portage/emerge -- I meant when I have a problem/question/issue I generally try to get my first information (meaning I always check there first, then look for other options) from the origin (this is maybe a better choice in wording?) of that product. So to edit my previous post just read it as "For any wine related issues I always go to the origin ---> winehq.org . . ." Does that sit better?

At any rate I would HIGHLY recommend going into the actuall link I provided into the BrowseApps section and finding the directions for how to get Starcraft working under wine (it is written and maintained by people that are using wine to run Starcraft.)

Sorry if I frusterated you, your reply post seems fairly excited. Again I appologize for not presenting my suggestion more clearly.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: winex / wine for anything Reply with quote

defknol wrote:
I am not an experienced wine user - I've never actually seen it work. I emerged the wine, winex, and the winesetuptk without any problems.

When I run anything I get something like:

## Start Paste

sh-2.05a$ winex StarCraft.exe
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/mnt/hdb5/windows/fonts/desktop.ini" err = 55
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/mnt/hdb5/windows/fonts/modern.fon" err = 2
err:int:INSTR_IDT_Emulate Evil attempt to exploit win9x system security flaws detected
err:int:INSTR_IDT_Emulate UNIX system security is too strong, can't emulate properly
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x402bc994
sh-2.05a$

## End Paste

I used winesetuptk to make the configs and also attempted to run the regapi which gave me the folloing error:
## Begin paste
/usr/winex/bin/regapi: cannot find 'setValue'
## End Paste

Any ideas? I'd like to see wine work.

What s the security setting like in the kernel config , I didnt use this option on my system and I ve seen posts with winex/wine having issues with this being compiled into the kernel .....juding by the error looks like this could be the problem ....also make sure your running stock vanilla kernel if you want starcraft to run nice :)

Cheers
Dale.
defknol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for my last post - I was having a bad day. Anyway, I did just what I blurted out in that post and downloaded the wine source, compiled it, and used the same wine conf files as I had before. Everything worked. I can now run win32 progs. Starcraft still isn't working, but I'm sure that I'll need to do more research for that one.

Thanks for your assistance.

Perhaps there is something in the portage that needs to be looked at. My kernel is pretty Gentoo standard. If you have any questions about my system, just ask.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: