View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: [HOWTO] Bluetooth and Palm (or PocketPC) Network and Sync Reply with quote

NOTE: This guide is being supplanted. Go here for a gentoo-wiki.com version of this article. If you're really nice, you'll help copy some of this information from this thread to the wiki page. However, this thread stays put until the Wiki page is done.

This is a quick guide to getting Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Networking) up and running on Gentoo for access by a PDA such as a Palm or PocketPC. It also includes details on how to get HotSync synchronization working for a Palm, as well. As I do not own a PocketPC, I can't report more specifically on PocketPC usage, but I have been told that this method works for PocketPCs, too.

Requirements:

A Bluetooth-enabled PDA
    A recent Linux kernel
    A Bluetooth adapter

What I used:

Palm Tungsten T
    gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.1-r1
    An IOGear GBU301

1. Emerge the required packages.

The following packages are required:

net-wireless/bluez-libs
net-wireless/bluez-bluefw
net-wireless/bluez-utils
net-wireless/bluez-sdp
net-wireless/bluez-pan
net-dialup/ppp

Note that <net-wireless/bluez-utils-2.3-r1 do not include the /etc/init.d/hotplug script. This script is necessary for proper operation of bluetooth in Gentoo Linux, and so it is highly reccomended that you emerge the unstable versions of bluez-libs and bluez-utils:

Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge bluez-libs bluez-utils

The use of hotplug is optional, but highly reccomended, as it automatically handles firmware loading for bluetooth dongles that need it. However, it has been known to break for some people. See this thread for details.

2. Configure your kernel to support bluetooth.

You need to have the following options configured. (It doesn't matter whether the options are compiled in or modularized, just as long as they are there.)

Device Drivers->Networking Support:
Code:
<M>     PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
[ ]       PPP multilink support (EXPERIMENTAL)
[ ]       PPP filtering
<M>       PPP support for async serial ports
<M>       PPP support for sync tty ports
< >       PPP Deflate compression
< >       PPP BSD-Compress compression
< >       PPP over Ethernet (EXPERIMENTAL)

Device Drivers->Networking Support->Bluetooth Support:
Code:
<M> Bluetooth subsystem support
<M>   L2CAP protocol support
<M>   SCO links support
<M>   RFCOMM protocol support
[*]     RFCOMM TTY support
<M>   BNEP protocol support
[*]     Multicast filter support
[*]     Protocol filter support

Device Drivers->Networking Support->Bluetooth Support->Bluetooth Device Drivers:
Code:
<M> HCI USB driver
[ ]   SCO over HCI USB support
[ ]   USB zero packet support
<M> HCI UART driver
[*]   UART (H4) protocol support (NEW)
[*]   BCSP protocol support (NEW)
<M> HCI BCM203x USB driver

NOTE: This last option may not exist in your kernel. If it's not, don't worry about it (although you might want to patch to the latest version of the kernel, see this page for details).

ALSO NOTE: I'm using a 2.6 series kernel; 2.4 series users may have to hunt around a bit.

Recompile the kernel, and reboot if necessary. However, if you decided to modularize everything, rebooting shouldn't be necessary.

3. Configure.

3.1. /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf

The file should look like the following, with comments omitted. In the case of the name field, it may be whatever you like; the pin_helper value is reccomended but you can change it if you know what you're doing. Lines preceeded by an asterisk are the important changes. Effect the changes, if necessary, but don't include the asterisk.

Code:
options {
        autoinit yes;

*       security user;

pairing multi;

*        pin_helper /etc/bluetooth/pin;
}

device {
        name "%h (%d)";

*        class 0x100;

iscan enable; pscan enable;

*        lm accept,master;

lp hold,sniff,park;

*        auth enable;
*        encrypt enable;
}

3.2. /etc/bluetooth/pin

Edit this file to contain the desired PIN for your bluetooth devices. This is also called a password or passkey by some. For a PIN of "changeme", you should edit the file to look like:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "PIN:changeme"

3.3. /etc/ppp/peers/dun

This file doesn't exist, so you'll need to create it. Here's mine (you should change yours to match your settings):

Code:
noauth      # Don't require authentication
local         # This is needed because it's not a real serial line
noipdefault   # Don't use the local hostname to determine the local IP used
proxyarp      # Proxy ARP connections
nodefaultroute   # Don't use the default route
noipx      # Don't use the IPX protocol
idle 0      # Set an unlimited disconnect timeout

# Change the next three lines for your setup

# <Host IP Address>:<Client IP Address>
192.168.0.7:192.168.0.6

# ms-dns <DNS Server>
ms-dns 192.168.0.1

# netmask <Netmask for your network>
netmask 255.255.255.0

3.4. /etc/init.d/bluetooth_pan

I created this script by modifying the /etc/init.d/bluetooth script. You'll need to create a copy of your own, like so:

Code:
#!/sbin/runscript
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later

depend() {
        need bluetooth
}

start() {
        local RETVAL
        ebegin "Starting Bluetooth PAN"
        [ -x /usr/bin/pand ] && \
                start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/bin/pand --\
                --listen --role NAP
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL -a -x /usr/bin/dund ] && \
                start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/bin/dund --\
                --listen --msdun call dun
        RETVAL=$?
        eend ${RETVAL}
}

stop() {
        local RETVAL
        ebegin "Shutting down Bluetooth PAN"
          start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/bin/pand
        RETVAL=$?
        [ -x /usr/bin/dund ] && \
                start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/bin/dund
        RETVAL=$?
        eend ${RETVAL}
}

BE SURE to make the script executable. Do this like so:

Code:
# chown root:root /etc/init.d/bluetooth_pan
# chmod 755 /etc/init.d/bluetooth_pan

3.5. /etc/conf.d/local.start

We need to enable kernel forwarding of IP packets. Adding the following line to your /etc/init.d/local.start file will take care of that.

Code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

You might also want to execute that line now, as root, in order to enable forwarding should you not want to reboot in 3.7.

3.6. rc-update

The last step in the configuration section. Run, as root, the following commands:

Code:
# /sbin/depscan.sh
# rc-update add hotplug default
# rc-update add bluetooth default
# rc-update add bluetooth_pan default

You should perform a reboot at this point to start the scripts. Alternately, you may start each one individually. Doing this should eliminate the need for rebooting.

Code:
# /etc/init.d/hotplug start
# /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
# /etc/init.d/bluetooth_pan start

Note that the lines in both sections are not required if you have decided not to use hotplug.

4. Testing the host configuration

4.1. Testing hardware

Ensure the bluetooth adapter is properly configured and initialized by typing the "hciconfig" command. It is similar in many ways to the traditional "ifconfig". (Output shown is for my system; yours may be the same or similar.)

Code:
# hciconfig
hci0:   Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:03:C9:2E:5F:61 ACL MTU: 377:10  SCO MTU: 16:0
        UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN AUTH ENCRYPT
        RX bytes:240530 acl:8730 sco:0 events:2653 errors:0
        TX bytes:1199359 acl:7417 sco:0 commands:35 errors:0

If, instead of being in the UP RUNNING state, your output says DOWN, enable your HCI interface like so.

Code:
hciconfig hci0 up

If no output is displayed, you have a problem with your setup. Ensure that everything above is correctly set up, then check the logs and dmesg for errors. If that doesn't help, feel free to PM me.

4.2. Test Bluetooth connectivity

Next we'll test that the PDA and the host computer can communicate using Bluetooth. Ensure Bluetooth is activated on the PDA, and that the PDA is on. (On a Palm Tungsten T, you can do this through Preferences->Communications->Bluetooth.)

Run the following command on the host computer. Again, output shown is specific to my setup, and will be similar but not identical to yours.

Code:
# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:07:E0:0E:E9:EE       Steven Robertson

The 12-digit hexadecimal sequence listed is the Bluetooth address of your device, and the string next to it is the name of the device.

Next, ensure that the PDA responds to pings from the Bluetooth adapter. Use a ^C to terminate the command after the first few pings.

Code:
# l2ping 00:07:E0:0E:E9:EE
Ping: 00:07:E0:0E:E9:EE from 00:03:C9:2E:5F:61 (data size 20) ...
20 bytes from 00:07:E0:0E:E9:EE id 200 time 81.82ms
20 bytes from 00:07:E0:0E:E9:EE id 201 time 44.97ms
20 bytes from 00:07:E0:0E:E9:EE id 202 time 52.82ms
3 sent, 3 received, 0% loss

If your output looks similar, your bluetooth setup and PDA are both working great.

5. PDA configuration

The following instructions are for Palm-compatible devices only. Similar steps should be followed on the PocketPC. PM me if you can get it to work and I'll extend this list.

5.1. Bluetooth configuration

Go to Prefs->Communication->Bluetooth. Set like so:

Bluetooth: On.
Device Name: <Desired Device Name>
Discoverable: Yes
Allow Wakeup: No

After setting that, tap the Trusted Devices button, then tap the Add Device button. The system will search for Bluetooth devices, then present a list of devices detected. Choose the one corresponding to the name you gave your adapter in step 3, then tap OK. The Palm will then ask you for a passkey; enter the value you set in the /etc/bluetooth/pin file in step 3. Tap OK. The Trusted devices list will reappear, with your computer newly added. Tap Done, then Done again.

5.2. Connection configuration

Go to Prefs->Communications->Connection. Tap New..., and fill in as follows.

Name: <Whatever you like>
Connect to: PC
Via: Bluetooth
Device: Tap to Find

Then, of course, tap "Tap to Find". It will go through the discovery process again, then present you with a list of Bluetooth nodes in range. Select your host's node (now with a key next to it indicating that it is a trusted device), and tap OK. Tap Details... and fill in:

Speed: 115,200 bps
Flow Ctl: Automatic

Tap OK, then OK a second time, then Done.

5.3. Network Configuration

Go to Prefs->Communications->Network. Tap New, and fill in the following.

Service: <Whatever you like>
User Name: <Leave Blank>
Password: -Prompt-
Connection: <What you named the connection in 5.2.>

Tap Details..., and set as following:

Connection Type: PPP
Idle timeout: 3 minutes
Query DNS: <Checked>
IP Address: <Checked> Automatic

Tap Script..., and ensure that it merely says "End:". Tap OK, OK.

Finally, tap Connect, and watch as your Palm inserts itself into your network! When an application needs to access the network, it should automatically connect to your network.

Test out the connectipn by going to the Options->View Log menu. This log functions as a mini-terminal, as well as giving important diagnostic information. Use Graffiti to enter the text "ping google.com", and watch the packets fly. If it works, everything is set up perfectly, and you're ready to start using the network.

6. Network HotSync setup

To use Network HotSync, you need to use a synchronization suite based on pilot-link, such as jpilot, gnome-pilot, kpilot, or pilot-xfer itself.

6.1. Palm synchronization suite configuration

As long as the software is based on pilot-link, only one step is necessary: change the "Port" device setting to read "net:any". That's it!

6.2. Palm Configuration

Launch the HotSync app. In each of the menu entries below, make sure the settings match those listed.

Options->Modem Sync Prefs...
Network is highlited

LANSync Prefs...
LANSync is highlighted

Primary PC Setup...
Primary PC Name:* <Hostname of the computer>
Primary PC Address: <IP Address of the computer>
Subnet Mask: <Netmask of your network>

* The Primary PC Name field overrides the value in the Primary PC Address field. If you are behind a firewall or NAT router, you will need to forward port 14238 to the host computer, even if that host computer is behind the firewall or NAT router. This is because the Palm will attempt to contact the address resolved, which is probably on the internet rather than in the local network.

In the main HotSync page, highlight the Modem button. If the dotted box at the bottom of the screen does not display the name of the Network Service you configured in step 5, tap it and change it so that it does. After that, click HotSync, and everything should work out great.

7. Tips

This is just a list of all the random things I encountered when trying to get this to work.

First off, install the latest patch available at http://www.bluez.org/patches.html for your kernel.

If you compiled as modules in step 2, try as builtin, and vice versa.

Try upgrading your bluez packages to the latest available. Gentoo sometimes lags a version or two behind. In that case, just copy the ebuilds over to your overlay dir, move them to the appropriate version, and have a go at it. Small edits may be required for a successful emerge. Be warned that this is unsupported, although it did help me.

If you have any sort of extension between your adapter and your USB port on your computer, remove it. I've seen (and confirmed personally) that the USB extension cables provided with Broadcom USB dongles (and dongles with Broadcom chips in them) tend to be unstable under Linux, and can cause timeout errors.

If all else fails, post a topic and link to it from this thread. Often, others will either have seen the problem or will benefit from the solution.

Hope you find it useful!

Steven Robertson

ChangeLog:
20040121 - Updated section 7 with tips. Thanks, ozonator, for your tips!
20040116 - Updated sections 1, 3.4 (old, removed), 3.6; added section 7 placeholder.
20040106 - Updated section 3.4 to reflect the closure of Bug #36762.
20040104 - Minor cosmetic changes, and a few clarity checks. One change to the bluetooth_pan script.

Last edited by Steven Robertson on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
cuban
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Now I have no reason to buy that palm!!! I can't wait to try this out. Thanks Steven!
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven, many thanks for your immensely helpful instructions. Having just given things a try, with 2.6.1 (development-sources) and a D-link DBT-120 usb dongle, I have a few things to add.

First, I had a pile of trouble getting the dongle to work; I've described that in a separate thread, since it and problems I and others are having with gphoto2 seem to point to a problem with USB and/or hotplugging in 2.6.1. The short version of the story: I had to disable hotplugging in the kernel to get the bluetooth dongle to work. The side-effect, of course, is that I had to make sure the appropriate modules are loaded (put them in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 for loading at boot) -- hci_usb and rfcomm, in that order, will do it (loading those will autoload other needed modules, like bluetooth).

Re. step 1: the unmasked version of bluez-utils does not seem to install an /etc/init.d/bluetooth script; having seen this message, I emerged the latest masked version (2.3-r2 as of yesterday), and sure enough, the script appeared. Just to be safe, I made sure I was using all the most recent bluez packages before continuing.

Re. step 3.3: I changed 'auth' to 'noauth' in the dun file -- otherwise, pppd would require a password.

Re. step 3.7: not having hotplug enabled, I did not, of course, run the hotplug init script. Also, I had to unplug and re-connect the dongle after running the init scripts before everything was recognized correctly.

Re. step 5.2: though I could pair my Palm with my linux box, and set the linux box as a 'trusted device' on the Palm, I had one mysterious problem: in the connection configuration, nothing I tried could make the linux box appear as an available bluetooth device. The problem was that although the device class is set properly in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf, for some reason, hciconfig -a reported a class of '0x000000'. Thus, I had to set this manually: "hciconfig hci0 class 0x100". After doing that, the linux box appeared as an available connection on the Palm, and I was able to connect to the net from the Palm! (Somehow, that statement always requires an exclamation point. :) )

I intend to experiment some more later, but those are the things I can remember from the first successful try. Many thanks again for the howto!
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozonator: I made changes to steps 1, 3.3, 3.7 (well, now 3.6, 'cause I removed 3.4), but I didn't get around to finishing 7 (to include the step you mentioned for 5.2), because I moved my bluetooth stuff to a server box closer to my bedroom so my Palm would be in better range, but the box (an old secondhand PII) was having kernel panics, so I couldn't test it out and make detailed instructions. After I get it fixed, I'll finish it.

Thanks for trying it out, and I'm glad I could help!

Steven
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update: thanks to this post, I found out about a kernel patch for 2.6.1 that provides even more up-to-date bluetooth support. I've applied it, and am using the new kernel now; all seems well so far.

One thing the patch seems to fix: I no longer need to set the device class with hciconfig, as I described in my previous post; just load the modules and run the bluetooth and bluetoot_pan scripts in init.d, and everything works fine.
Paradoxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can u help my when i start /etc/init.d/bluetooth_pan i get this error

bash-2.05b# /etc/init.d/bluetooth_pan start
* Starting Bluetooth PAN...
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 11: : command not found
start-stop-daemon: unrecognized option `-- '
Try `start-stop-daemon --help' for more information.
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 13: --listen: command not found
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 15: : command not found
start-stop-daemon: unrecognized option `-- '
Try `start-stop-daemon --help' for more information.
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 17: --listen: command not found [ !! ]

bash-2.05b#

my /etc/init.d/bluetooth_pan

#!/sbin/runscript
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later

depend() {
need bluetooth
}

start() {
local RETVAL
ebegin "Starting Bluetooth PAN"
--listen --role NAP
RETVAL=$?
[ $RETVAL -a -x /usr/bin/dund ] && \
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/bin/dund --\
--listen --msdun call dun
RETVAL=$?
eend ${RETVAL}
}

stop() {
local RETVAL
ebegin "Shutting down Bluetooth PAN"
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/bin/pand
RETVAL=$?
[ -x /usr/bin/dund ] && \
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/bin/dund
RETVAL=$?
eend ${RETVAL}
}

//pless dount complain im dyslectic

//i whas born in hell im going to hell
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradoxx wrote:
--listen --role NAP

The error messages are reporting a problem with this bit (all of which is line 11), particularly the start-stop-daemon part. Just a hunch -- are there any spaces or other non-printing characters after the '\' at the end of the second line? If there are, the '\' might not be correctly interpreted as 'continue on the next line'.

Otherwise, what you've got matches what I've got here, which works for me.
Paradoxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanks it whos meney spaises in the faile but i removd them now so it works.

but now i haw ater problem when im HotSync and starting sync i get this error ( Unable to Initiate HotSync operation because The port is in use by another application ) do eney bodey cnown how i fix this?

and im olso wondering how do i setup jpilot so i can us it on blue?

Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the HotSync error:

Where does this error occur? (On the palm? On your desktop sync program?)

If on the palm:
Which palm model/manufacturer?
When does the error occur? (Just after hitting hotsync, or after it tries to connect?)
Can you get regular net access (i.e. not hotsync)?
Is there any weirdness in the Linux kernel logs (run 'dmesg | tail -n 25') or in the system logs (run 'less /var/log/everything/current'), such as PPP errors or pan/dun errors?

If on the desktop:
What sync program are you using?
What 'port' setting have you configured it to use?
Do you have any program running which blocks port 14238? (You can figure this out by running 'netstat -tlp | grep 14238' as root; the last column (if any output is returned) is the program name and PID of the process using that port.)

Regarding jpilot: The only step you should have to take is to change the "Port" setting to "net:any". But I don't use jpilot; more steps may well be required.
Paradoxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haw now traid to connect to internet but it dount work. but i can connect to my blue server but when i start Web pro and tray to connect to internet i get error DNS lookup timed out. please check coverage, and try agin. [Comm. 8]

and when i go to Network log i get info

local it name 192.168.0.10
gateway addres 192.168.0.7

DNS addresses: 192.168.1.1

my /etc/ppp/peers/dun

noauth # Don't require authentication
local # This is needed because it's not a real serial line
noipdefault # Don't use the local hostname to determine the local IP used
proxyarp # Proxy ARP connections
nodefaultroute # Don't use the default route
noipx # Don't use the IPX protocol
idle 0 # Set an unlimited disconnect timeout

# Change the next three lines for your setup

192.168.0.7:192.168.0.10

# ms-dns <DNS Server>
ms-dns 192.168.1.1

# netmask <Netmask for your network>
netmask 255.255.255.0

my ifconfig

bash-2.05b# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:70:92:20:37
inet addr:192.168.1.199 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:686 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:640 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:475313 (464.1 Kb) TX bytes:84725 (82.7 Kb)
Interrupt:20 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:300 (300.0 b) TX bytes:300 (300.0 b)

im usin tungsten t3

Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradoxx:

Code:
 192.168.0.7:192.168.0.10

Judging from your IP address and subnet mask, you're on a private network with a DHCP server assigning addresses. You probably have an internet gateway/firewall running at either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. Either way, it appears that the network address is in the 192.168.1.x range, but that you've set the above code to reflect a network in the 192.168.0.x range.

I probably wasn't specific enough when I wrote this the first time, but <Host IP Address> is the IP address of the Linux box with the Bluetooth adapter, and <Client IP Address> is the IP address of the Palm. Using the values from your ifconfig, recommended settings for this should be something like:

Code:
 192.168.1.199:192.168.1.210

The second number doesn't really matter, as long as it isn't the IP of a computer that's already on your network and it's between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.253. The first, however, should reflect your current IP address of the Linux box.

HTH.

Steven
Paradoxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internet works grate now meney tanks :). now my new problem im traing to sync now but im using jpilot but when i go to jpilot¨s setup it neds somting in /dev/pilot or somting to us so it can sync do u cnown eney beter sync prog i kan us?

/im using kde-2.3.0 and kernel 2.6.4-rc2

Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On JPilot: Go to File->Preferences. Open Settings tab. Under Serial Port, set the value to "net:any" (no quotes). That's all you should need. However, if that doesn't work, you can try and use KPilot. Note, however, that I encountered instability with version 3.2 and net:any. I'm emerging 3.2.1 now, and I'll see if it's fixed there.

Steven Robertson
Paradoxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Robertson wrote:
On JPilot: Go to File->Preferences. Open Settings tab. Under Serial Port, set the value to "net:any" (no quotes). That's all you should need. However, if that doesn't work, you can try and use KPilot. Note, however, that I encountered instability with version 3.2 and net:any. I'm emerging 3.2.1 now, and I'll see if it's fixed there.

Steven Robertson

wher did u find kpilot ebuld?

Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPilot is part of the kde-base/kdepim package. However, you must have the "pda" flag enabled in your USE flags for it to build. Try:

USE="pda" emerge kdepim

to build and merge it.
Paradoxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Robertson wrote:
KPilot is part of the kde-base/kdepim package. However, you must have the "pda" flag enabled in your USE flags for it to build. Try:

USE="pda" emerge kdepim

to build and merge it.

did u get it to work?

so u can synk it and backup and install progs?

bemarnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Trying to network sync using VMware Reply with quote

Hi all !

I have installed bluez in my Gentoo and now I'm able to download mail and browse the web using my Tungsten T3 and a ppp conection to the Gentoo box (conected to Internet through ADSL router).

I want to sync using bluetooth to a Windows machine located in the same network (is installed in the linux host using vmware) but I don't now how to do it. I have installed Palm desktop and configured the IP address of this PC in the palm, but it does'nt works.

Can you help me ?

Thanks in advance.
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bemarnet:

Without VMWare, I can't give you any personal advice. However, this howto might help:

http://howto.pilot-link.org/netsync/

Steven
bemarnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steven.

I've looking at http://howto.pilot-link.org/netsync/ but there is no information about doing hotsync via Bluetooth (only using USB Craddle).
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bemarnet: Sorry for not being clear. Ignore everything about the Palm; just follow the instructions for setup on the desktop side of things. The only thing you'll need to change on the Palm is the address of the host computer. Make it match the address assigned to the VMWare network device.
Paradoxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Robertson wrote:
Regarding the HotSync error:

Where does this error occur? (On the palm? On your desktop sync program?)

If on the palm:
Which palm model/manufacturer?
When does the error occur? (Just after hitting hotsync, or after it tries to connect?)
Can you get regular net access (i.e. not hotsync)?
Is there any weirdness in the Linux kernel logs (run 'dmesg | tail -n 25') or in the system logs (run 'less /var/log/everything/current'), such as PPP errors or pan/dun errors?

If on the desktop:
What sync program are you using?
What 'port' setting have you configured it to use?
Do you have any program running which blocks port 14238? (You can figure this out by running 'netstat -tlp | grep 14238' as root; the last column (if any output is returned) is the program name and PID of the process using that port.)

Regarding jpilot: The only step you should have to take is to change the "Port" setting to "net:any". But I don't use jpilot; more steps may well be required.

i haw reley raid now to find out what is wrong but i get the same error stil
this works

i can sync whit my usb

but when im traing to sync ower blue i get error ( Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in us by anoter application when my palm is traing to connect i get this error on my palm tungsten T3

i haw traid dmesg | tail -n 25 i oley get

bash-2.05b$ dmesg | tail -n 25
[<c0157b52>] get_vm_area+0x32/0x40
[<c011a7fc>] __ioremap+0xbc/0x110
[<c011a87b>] ioremap_nocache+0x2b/0xb0
[<e0bc67ab>] os_map_kernel_space+0x68/0x6c [nvidia]
[<e0bd8e07>] __nvsym00568+0x1f/0x2c [nvidia]
[<e0bdaf26>] __nvsym00775+0x6e/0xe0 [nvidia]
[<e0bdafb6>] __nvsym00781+0x1e/0x190 [nvidia]
[<e0bdca3c>] rm_init_adapter+0xc/0x10 [nvidia]
[<e0bc2f44>] nv_kern_open+0x11b/0x261 [nvidia]
[<c0167f2c>] chrdev_open+0x11c/0x290
[<c015eab8>] get_empty_filp+0x68/0xe0
[<c015cd82>] dentry_open+0x152/0x220
[<c015cc22>] filp_open+0x62/0x70
[<c015d17b>] sys_open+0x5b/0x90
[<c010762b>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:03:00.0 into 4x mode
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
bash-2.05b$

bash-2.05b# netstat -tlp | grep 14238
tcp 0 0 *:14238 *:* LISTEN 5659/kpilotDaemon
bash-2.05b#

im using kpilot

im wondering how do i setup "net:any" on kpilot??

Markrian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent guide!

But I encountered a problem that took quite a bit of googling to solve.

I was constantly encountering timeout errors on the Palm when trying to connect to the PC, with messages like "Error: PPP timeout (0x1231)". Anyway, to cut a long story short, I use udev, and evidently it doesn't create certain device nodes that are necessary for all this to work. These device nodes must exist:
Code:
# ll /dev/rf*
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     216,   0 Apr 29 22:09 /dev/rfcomm0
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     216,   1 Apr 29 22:00 /dev/rfcomm1
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     216,   2 Apr 29 22:00 /dev/rfcomm2
They can be created with the following commands:
Code:
mknod /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
mknod /dev/rfcomm1 c 216 1
mknod /dev/rfcomm2 c 216 2

After creating these nodes, I could connect my T3 to my PC no problem. Now, I didn't work all of this out myself ;) In fact, I didn't work ANY of it out. I found the info here: http://www.grinta.net/howto/bluez-ipaq.html

Hope that helps anyone having similar problems.
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update that's pertinent to the guide here: as of version 2.7 (still masked, as of the time of this post), bluez-libs includes the components of bluez-sdp, and bluez-utils includes the components of bluez-pan. So, if you're emerging 2.7 or later of bluez-[utils|libs], bluez-[sdp|pan] no longer need to be emerged; in fact, they're now blocked by the newer [utils|libs] ebuilds. (See bug 50620.)

If you're upgrading, bluez-sdp and bluez-pan can be unmerged before emerging 2.7 or later of bluez-utils and bluez-libs. I just did that myself (upgraded from 2.5 of [utils|libs]), and the new versions work nicely with my T3 (and kernel 2.6.6), no changes needed to any configs or scripts. :)
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this have consequences for the bluetooth_pan script?
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meulie wrote:
Will this have consequences for the bluetooth_pan script?

Not as far as I can tell. I didn't change anything in the script: after unmerging the no-longer-needed bluez-sdp and bluez-pan, and emerging the new versions of bluez-libs and bluez-utils, the bluetooth_pan script works just as well as it did before.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: