Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I know I must be forgetting something...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deprecated
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: I know I must be forgetting something... Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Ok, so, I got a boot disk and I am to the point where I am supposed to tar -xjpvf /mnt/cdrom/stage1-ix86-1.2.tbz2, and this is where I get stopped.

Code:
bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.

Thats what I get when I try the previous command. Tar dies then. I can do a bzip2 -df stage1-ix86.1.2.tbz2, but this results in a bad tar archive, so I guess forcing it wasn't the solution. I thought maybe I had a corrupted file, but re-downloading it and also trying to download the stage3 didn't help, the same error. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: I know I must be forgetting something... Reply with quote

deprecated wrote:
I thought maybe I had a corrupted file, but re-downloading it and also trying to download the stage3 didn't help, the same error.

Hmm... I would check md5sums of your downloads and/or burn at a slower speed. It definitely sounds like a bad tarball.
deprecated
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Hmm.... Reply with quote

Ok, it is very possible that my burner is finally dead, it has been dying for a while, I'll try walking over to work and burning one there, I gotta get some chow anyways, back and will update this in 45. Thanks for the quick response :D
deprecated
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Ack! No Go Reply with quote

Hello again,
I'm sad to say it didn't work. After using my other burner, and verifying the md5 after burning it to cd, I still get the same error. Any other suggestions or details that might help figure out what it is? I'm really at a loss :cry:
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this that might help you, try to:
Code:
wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/build/.1.4/x86/stage1-x86-1.4.tbz2
before you untar it, to get new version of tarball
but maybe replace the 1.4 with 1.2 and the .1.4 with just 1.2, I pulled it from: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=13824&highlight=1+4+tarball

PPl asking for how to install 1.4 tarball, but it may work for you to get a new 1.2 tarball?

Andrew
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try phong's Installation from a boot floppy HOWTO. Sounds to me like the tarball on the CD is bad or perhaps tar on the CD is misbehaving, although that sounds unlikely. I'm assuming you are doing a stage 3 install, perhaps try a stage 1.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple stabs in the dark - Could it be a RAM issue? How much RAM is in the box, and have you turned on the swap partition? Have you had any stability issues with this box previously?
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak of the devil ... ;)
deprecated
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Hardware issues? Reply with quote

Here is the hardware setup:

Asus A7A266 mainboard
1.2 GHz Athlon
256 DDR SDRAM (Crucial)
Western Digital 60 Gig HD
A D-Link NIC that uses 8139too (Hey, I got it for free, hush :wink: )
Some small 1 meg generic VGA card (not planning on running X)

I've had this motherboard, ram, and processor running together fine for a very long time, but I recently changed it up and got a new parts for my main computer, so this gear is being changed into a server, well, if I can finish this gentoo install. Anyways, my glorious non-solution was to try extracting the archive using a windows program called Power Archiver, which seemed to be able to to it just fine. I then copied everything to a CD and copied it directly into /mnt/gentoo, and tried to chroot, which, to my dismay, gave me:
Code:
chroot: cannot execute /bin/bash: Exec format error

I figure its probably something with file ownership and permissions, I tried chown'ing everything to root and no go on that either, probably a bad solution but I decided to try it, cause, well, yeah. Oh, swap is on, I have 512 megs of swap with the 256 megs of DDR, actually I think I'm going to up that since I might want to increase the ram shortly down the road and I don't want to have to deal with repartitioning. I haven't tried using wget yet to grab a new tarball because I'm on an ADSL connection and they gave me a bridge instead of the router they promised me, and I don't have a router... actually.... this computer is supposed to be the router....hmm...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardware issues? Reply with quote

deprecated wrote:
Code:
chroot: cannot execute /bin/bash: Exec format error

I figure its probably something with file ownership and permissions

No, "exec format error" is much more serious than permissions. I would read it as "corrupt executable". Is it possible that line ending conversion or something corrupted the files during their journey?

Quote:
I haven't tried using wget yet to grab a new tarball

If I were you, I would start spending time getting your networking situation into a state where you can do this, instead of trying to do anything else with the current install.
deprecated
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: K Reply with quote

Well, I'll work on the networking, but first I'm going to try and boot from an old 6 gig that has an old redhat install on it, and try installing onto my other hard drive using that OS instead of the boot cd. Update whenever one or the other doesn't work. Thanks again!
deprecated
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: P.S.- Reply with quote

P.S.- I have no idea what line ending conversion is. What is that, and how could I tell if it was a problem?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: P.S.- Reply with quote

deprecated wrote:
P.S.- I have no idea what line ending conversion is. What is that, and how could I tell if it was a problem?

When a file is ftp'ed from let's say Windows machine to a UNIX machine, and you haven't specified that the file is to be transferred as a binary file, the ftp program will treat it as an ascii file (text file) and try to convert all newline characters to either newline+carriage return (which windows uses, often seen as \n\m in listings). If the file is binary, this will mess up the file and basically render it corrupt.
I'm not sure if this is the case here, but it looks like your /bin/bash executable is corrupt.

Since all of this is happening during the inital install, I have a feeling that there are one or more steps that has not been completed successfully.

I suggest that you start all over again and follow the instructions closely. I have done this on several machines without ever hitting a problem.

Oh, btw, try to run 'file /bin/bash' to see what it says, should say:
# file /bin/bash
/bin/bash: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

Erik
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: P.S.- Reply with quote

deprecated wrote:

Disclaimer: I haven't really used any Microsoft OSes post-MSDOS, so this may be rather obsolete, but...

Line endings for text files are an unfortunate area of confusion when transfering files across OSes. Unix uses LF, MacOS uses CR, DOS uses CR/LF. Some programs (notably FTP and archiving) automatically convert between various ones of these. Compounding this problem is "binary mode" on DOS. In the documentation for Power Archiver, does it mention any special steps or settings needed for handling binary files? If so, you would have to turn those on for the files you are slinging around from inside the stage tarball.

Otherwise, converting a $A to $D$A could have horrendous results if those were not in fact line endings, but were actually machine code. I can see this as a possible cause of things like "Exec format error".
deprecated
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Woops Reply with quote

Yeah, ok, I knew what line end conversion was anyways, oops. Ok, so, I booted into my old redhat hard drive, mounted the cdrom, and everything went beautifully. I guess as you guys said for some reason the executables (tar and bzip2 and chroot probably others) were corrupt. I'm not sure if it was a line end conversion issue or not, when I burned the CDs I just got the iso and used easy cd creator to make the CD. Either way, at least it is set to go now, so I'm going to finish getting pppoe set up on it then emerge rsync. Thanks for all the help everyone, if you're ever in Madison, I'll buy pizza. Cause we have good pizza.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funk that when I come down you better start a tab at LaBamba Bros for burritos as big as my head. And then breakfast at Cleveland's. Cleveland's is the bomb and you'd better go if you haven't already.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: