Totem: Suttering when launched via file manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulsource
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Totem: Suttering when launched via file manager Reply with quote

I'm experiencing a weird issue with totem 3.14.2 (I don't think I had the issue with previous versions, but I'm not sure). Whenever I launch the player by double clicking a video file in file manager, the playback stutters, and the stuttering is getting worse the longer the file is being played. Also the UI of totem gets less and less responsive over time. The whole program comes to a near halt within a minute. If I open the same video file from within totem, or if I run totem from the command line with the filename as argument, everything is working fine. The problem appears with every video file I've tried, but seems to be particularly worse with high resolution video.

I've meanwhile figured that the command line used to launch totem when double clicking is not simply 'totem filename', but 'totem --gapplication-service'. If I use the "Open With..." menu entry to open video files using 'totem filename', the files also get played the way they should.
While I don't know it it's related, totem is creating a set of grilo-plugin-cache-something folders in the temporary directory, which aren't removed when I close totem. Also suspicious is, that if I log in as a different user who doesn't have that many video files (I've got several hundreds...), totem seems to work fine (I didn't look for the grilo-plugin-cache folders with the other user).
I've already tried to delete all files related to totem, tracker, grilo, and even the Gnome shell from ~/.local/share and ~/.config, without any visible effect.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour?

Thanks in advance for every input.

PS: I'm suspecting that (at least) one of my video files is corrupt, and that tracker hangs/crashes when it tries to index this file. Nevertheless I don't know which file it is... Could this be related? If yes, any idea how I could find out which file is causing the troubles?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: