Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The Politics of systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next..... V4
https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/3/9/340

No discussion as of this posting. I'm sure that will change.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
Reasons why this should be done in the kernel:
Performance: This is really important for a whole class of userspace programs rely on hundreds of thousands of messages passed at boot time, and at "critical" times in their user interaction loops.

ie: badly-designed programs.

Didn't we have the "GDM sends 5000 messages a second" or some such nonsense from this guy before? To which everyone just said "so don't do that, then."
Quote:
DBus marshaling is the de-facto standard.

dbus is crap. It encourages bad design by providing the illusion that "performance-critical" code can be written without thought.

Quite apart from the design problems inherent in both shoving everything down one "bus", and in faking RPC in order to pretend the GPL doesn't matter, which only leads to a less performant solution. Yet performance is the main reason to push it into the kernel, without even looking at why the performance sucks, and how to correct that algorithmically, instead of hoping you can push the problem on to someone else.
Quote:
security people are much happier with this model than the current scheme

..which again is more a problem of the current grand "scheme" than anything else.

Ditch that and you have a lot less to worry about, since each problem is small, instead of inappropriately-coupled to every other domain.
Quote:
More types of metadata can be attached to messages than in userspace

Crap. You can attach what you want where you want; whether the other side understands it is another matter, and nothing to do with the transport.
Quote:
Semantics for apps with heavy data payloads (media apps, for instance) with optinal priority message dequeuing, and global message ordering. .. I'm not saying that this is the best model for this, but until now, there wasn't any other way to do this without having to create custom "buses", one for each application library.

Pure lie, and he knows it. TIPC provides all of this, as was discussed several years ago.
Quote:
Without priority-inheritance, this is not possible in a secure manner (see 'priority-inheritance').

As if the only way to get priority-inheritance is via kdbus. What nonsense.

Anyone would think POSIX hadn't sorted this out in the early 1990s.
Quote:
Logging-daemons often want to attach metadata to log-messages so debugging/filtering gets easier.

Something tells me this is about one specific "logging-daemon" that is laughably inept.
Quote:
If short-lived programs send log-messages, the destination peer might not be able to read such metadata from /proc, as the process might no longer be available at that time.

Oh fgs, this is no reason to push this crapfest into the kernel. Go back to the drawing board after you've read up on TIPC properly.

And leave the userland coding to people who know what they're doing, and have actually done the research.
Quote:
We don't want to spend hundreds of ms just to transmit those messages.

So again: if it hurts, don't do that. Stop shoving loads of crap around that no-one needs, just to make-work for the boys who durr-durr.

Totally lame, imnsho.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
Reasons why this should be done in the kernel:
Performance: This is really important for a whole class of userspace programs rely on hundreds of thousands of messages passed at boot time, and at "critical" times in their user interaction loops.

ie: badly-designed programs.

What, you don't run a 100K-user dialup terminal server during your boot process like everyone else? /s
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
What, you don't run a 100K-user dialup terminal server during your boot process like everyone else? /s

Ah so that's what "multi-seat" means.. thanks for clarification. ;-)
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems it happened again. Now systemd forks the linux kernel.

Is this a hoax? April 1st is near .... But the github repo shows a full linux tree under linux.... :?

Quote:
The systemd Project Forks the Linux Kernel

The systemd project began as an alternative implementation of init, the software which brings an operating system on-line when a computer boots. Traditionally, Linux distributions have used either the SysV init software or Upstart. While these older init systems had their benefits, systemd developers saw room for improvement and the chance to leverage several underutilized features available to modern Linux distributions. Using systemd, distributions are able to more easily start services in parallel, simplify service dependencies and make easier use of cgroups.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20150330#community

https://github.com/systemdaemon/systemd/tree/master/src/linux
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prob April 1st... Use to be till midday... Then the day... More and more it is spreadyling to the week of...
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schorsch_76 wrote:
https://github.com/systemdaemon/systemd/tree/master/src/linux

For all those users posessed by the system daemon: now they're forked.

April fools or not.
roki942
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be why they were so quite and polite with Kbus v4.
Their own playground where they can drop support of kernel items however they wish.

I only wonder if the other distros will support both and if they do, will they bring back a non-systemd choice.

Edit: Oh well, I also fell for geNToo :lol:

Last edited by roki942 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systemd Developers Did NOT Fork The Linux Kernel
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-No-Linux-Fork
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if... So many times the linux kernel was forked, and nobody gave any fork about it.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad april joke.
To be a good one, you must made one that nobody could possibly trust as truth.
systemd forking kernel is really not something i couldn't think as true.
A good one for systemd would be: "we decide to split all tools in their own package and no deps on each other".
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin wrote:

Simpy proof that systemd should not have absorbed ntp functions - with a date error like this.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
augustin wrote:

Simpy proof that systemd should not have absorbed ntp functions - with a date error like this.

:lol:
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
A good one for systemd would be: "we decide to split all tools in their own package and no deps on each other".

LMAO brilliant :-)

In a shock move, Lennart Poeterring today announced, that he has "seen the light" and decided to split out all the various projects systemd has subsumed.
Poeterring wrote:
Well, I finally got round to reading "The Art of Unix Programming", and I must say I really liked the idea of being a master to various underlings.. after a while though, Doug McIlroy's description of tying everything with textual data, started to make a lot of sense; it's certainly a lot less faffing around than we do in dbus, which as we all know has become something of an embarrassing bottleneck.

I've never been able to really work out floating-point either, and do you know, the Standard C library has lots of interfaces to deal with just that to and from strings? So why not let it do the hard-work, and keep data in a format humans can debug and read from wherever they like? It's much better integrated than anything we could do, so why not just use it?

I'm still not sure about shell, though, as I can't actually write shell.. maybe one of these other books will illuminate things..

In response, Kay Sievers denounced Poeterring as an "apostate" and declared he (or rather "the board") has excommunicated him from the Church of Systemdology, causing the first schism in this heretofore unknown religion, declared for tax purposes in the Pacific Ocean, but operating as a religion (and taking advantage of generous tax subsidies) in the US, and about to open a "chapter" in Luxembourg.

In other news, Linus Torvalds declared himself the master of the Borg, who have infiltrated all government networks, using SkyPEnet as an infection vector, and declared the start of the new 5000 year epoch, so he "won't have to deal with idiotic clocking in CPUs ever again.."
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great quote, imo (emphasised):
Steve Litt wrote:
Please don't call them bullies. That gives them a power they just don't have, and makes [unix-loving] giants seem like victims.

Call them what they really are: Sissies so scared of Red Hat they do Red Hat's bidding and make snide remarks when questioned about that.

They inspire laughter, not fear.

IME we have at least a few of those types, in various positions within Gentoo.

The devuan (DNG) list is actually quite interesting in parts (Debian's Not Gnome):
Peter Olson wrote:
Freedom 0 already covers this. The freedom to run a program, as you wish, includes the freedom not to run the program, if that is what you wish.

P.T. Zowolski brings up some lucid points, about how developers (or rather programmers, imo) need to be paid directly for writing software, not just indirectly by "support" companies, who have a vested interest in make-work and obfuscation to justify the charges.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought about systemd and kdbus...

I've mentioned several times that I think it's a Windows-turned-Linux response to Linux, and that I don't particularly think RedHat is undulging in secretive world domination games. However...

At the moment it looks like containers are the future, and I believe systemd is an integral part of that vision. Part of the goal of systemd is to become a complete layer around the OS, so that "systemd writes to Linux, and everyone else writes to systemd." (I believe that is very nearly an exact quote of a systemd developer.) I suspect systemd is meant to be a way to "lighten" containers, in a sense. (I know, most of us don't think systemd is very light at all.) So at some point systemd really does become the container-level OS. In fact, RedHat has announced a stripped-down version of its OS that is meant primarily to host containers.

Then take containers one or two steps further - "container-ize" applications. No longer do you have this integral session, instead you have your browser in its container, your email in another isolated container, the "office" in another. In a way it's more like old-school Windows, which didn't really have as strong a $HOME concept as Unix has always had. (Notice of course that I'm bringing another Windows similarity there.) When each application lives in isolation, you still want to get information from one application to another. In Windows that was OLE/ActiveX - and I suspect that's yet another role for kdbus. I suspect in the future there will be incredible flows of data through kdbus - between containers.

BTW, this is going to be sold in the name of security - container-ized applications are of course safer from each other, making the whole more secure. By the time it's all sitting on systemd and kdbus we'll see what reality really is.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Containerization is meant for cloud services and internet of things where you isolate self-sufficient and independent applications. It's not intended to virtualize or isolate individual desktop/UI oriented applications on a traditional desktop system. It is meant primarily to develop apps and deploy them with your own dedicated environment without having to care about the host OS (except that it's a Linux supporting containers).

RH indeed is going primarily in that direction. It's visible in the upcoming versions of the Enterprise Linux testbed - the Fedora. Take a look (and a presentation or two on YouTube) at Fedora Rolekit and Fedora Cockpit and how it all integrates with (k)dbus and systemd services into a NextGen(tm) whole. It is still all vastly experimental but it shows the direction they're taking.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awful, depontius. A pig in a poke, or w/e the saying is; not something I'm interested in, nor anything I'd recommend to a client.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
container-ized applications are of course safer from each other, making the whole more secure.

This is how they will try to sell it.
Like all the lies we heard from "security" people, selling yellow boxes of software for windows and claiming when you instell this software your system will be oh-so-safe! Of course, we all know that since these boxes are sold, no windows machine was ever seen as part of a bot net!

Who really understands a little bit about security knows how to get security in reality:
  • Make privilege separation absolutely strict. Do not build any backdoors to circumvent this and that restriction in the name of user's convenience. A thing which raises privileges like policykit or even dbus is an absolute no-go.
  • Keep the tasks running with high privileges extremely tiny and provably correct. Normally, no communication should happen between high privilege tasks and any other task. Do anything to avoid this.
  • If you are in the absolute exceptional situation of a very complex setup where this cannot be avoided, keep this communication as simple and safe as possible, making sure that no race condition or similar tihings can ever arise. However, when you cannot avoid it, almost surely you have already done a severe mistake and should better think over your security concepts.
We all know that systemd&friends have broken all these rules dozens of time, shrugging it off as if it were nothing.
Using a technique afterwards which can be used as a security measurement - if carefully implemented and used as a basis (and not the other way 'round) - does under these circumstances not increase security at all, but just serves to give technically unskilled people a healthy feeling in the stomach: All the race conditions and bugs due to mere complexity allowing privilege escalates still exist and are in principle unfixable. An apparent separation of low privilege tasks helps nothing to improve the situation: First, the existing gapping security holes must be fixed. That is, everything which systemd&friends currently are, must be completely removed or at least conceptionally completely re-done (and then in non-broken way).
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep in mind that I wasn't in any way agreeing with the direction I was suggesting. I was just suggesting what I think is going to be pushed by RedHat and probably others. When I said "container-ized applications are of course safer from each other, making the whole more secure," it was with a whole box of salt, not a grain or even shaker.

At the moment, the best likely result is that the userspace of Linux is forking. We will be left alone to do things our way, and there is probably no way we can stop them from doing things their way. Our more important function to the computing world will be to be present when their house of cards crashes, so that there is a clear way to start over, better.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: depontius's sig is a waste space and bandwidth Reply with quote

Thanks depontius, GrueXYZ, mv et all for informing us.
I share your concerns and follow this discussion closely.

Could you please explain a bit more the concept of 'container' in the current context? A simple defintion and same examples would be welcome (at least by me!)
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the moment, think of a container as "lightweight virtualization." Theoretically a virtual machine can be used for security partitioning - whatever happens in the VM, stays in the VM. The host computer and any other VMs remain safe. However VMs can be rather expensive in terms of machine resources. Containers are an attempt to get most of the benefits of VMs at a much lower resource cost.

So here's the sales point. Imagine that both web browser and email have been "container-ized". What happens in each container, stays in each container. Looking in on systemd, they also have a set of words (I forget their exact term.) meaning that each time you start such a container, it starts clean. So if a container gets horribly polluted by malware of one sort or another, when that container-ized application is stopped, all of the bad stuff simply goes away. Restart that application, and it's back to pristine condition. Plus at no point did the compromised container-ized application do anything bad anywhere but inside that container.

That is/will-be the sales pitch. But containers aren't as "tight" as a VM, and even VMs have been known to have "escape paths". Security isn't simple. The other thing is that containers sometimes aren't useful without being able to get information in and out. That's kind of what OLE/ActiveX did on Windows, and what I believe kdbus will do on Linux. But at that point you've deliberately added a path out of the container. So much for security.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: As I said in my previous subject line! ;) Reply with quote

Thank you, depontius. Your explanation is very clear and helpful.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this 1 year + 3 days old post, not previously shared in this thread:

Ts’o and Linus And The Impotent Rage Against systemd
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/tso-and-linus-and-the-impotent-rage-against-systemd/

A fair amount of the information/theories/conjectures above is news to me, although I am probably the least knowledgeable participant in this thread. :-/

One of the links included in the post above is:

Re: systemd and Linux are *fundamentally incompatible* -> and I can prove it
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/03/msg00449.html

In your opinion, is Linus Torvald responding appropriately (has the means and the will to respond appropriately) to this who mess?

It looks more and more to me that a hostile takeover of the kernel/linux ecosystem is in progress (being attempted)....
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin,

Quote:
It looks more and more to me that a hostile takeover of the kernel/linux ecosystem is in progress (being attempted)....

Exactly so. Its sole purpose is to provide a remote procedure call mechanism so that Red Hat can distribute binary blobs that use RPCs in place of linking.
In my opinion, its just a mechanism for GPL evasion.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 9 of 30

Jump to: