Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
More granular and recursive "equery depends"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: More granular and recursive "equery depends"? Reply with quote

Hi,

Having a quite old and crufty system these days, I find myself dealing with some seemingly odd dependencies quite often that I don't feel equipped to make sense of. "equery depends" can be quite useful, but there are things I wish it could do:

1. Operate recursively. Sometimes I want to see the whole dependency chain of a package, i.e. like running equery d on that package, and then on each of its results, all the way up to the profile, @world or @system entries at the top of the tree. This might be the only way to determine why a package is installed, and doing it manually can be interminable.
  2. Accept a more detailed pkgspec argument (as close to portage atom spec as possible), allowing to filter by version, slot or USE flag(s). For example, find only packages that depend on >=sys-devel/gcc-4.8[objc].

A tool that combines both of these abilities would be invaluable. In fact I'm considering trying to create one, but before I do that I'd like to make sure someone hasn't already done so, given how many portage-related tools there are in the ecosystem. Thanks in advance for any tips.
mahdi1234
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: More granular and recursive "equery depends"? Reply with quote

Havin_it wrote:
Hi,
[*] Operate recursively. Sometimes I want to see the whole dependency chain of a package, i.e. like running equery d on that package, and then on each of its results, all the way up to the profile, @world or @system entries at the top of the tree. This might be the only way to determine why a package is installed, and doing it manually can be interminable.

as for the first point this should do the trick try with and without -D
Quote:
equery d -D curl

cheers
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: More granular and recursive "equery depends"? Reply with quote

mahdi1234 wrote:
Havin_it wrote:
Hi,
[*] Operate recursively. Sometimes I want to see the whole dependency chain of a package, i.e. like running equery d on that package, and then on each of its results, all the way up to the profile, @world or @system entries at the top of the tree. This might be the only way to determine why a package is installed, and doing it manually can be interminable.

as for the first point this should do the trick try with and without -D
Quote:
equery d -D curl

cheers

Oh man, that's embarrassing :oops: but thanks anyway, that certainly covers (1) :D

I guess all the information needed for (2) is there, it's just a lot to parse by eye when -D comes into play. Parsing it by script would be ... a challenge :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: