A sub-forum dedicated to the wiki
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: A sub-forum dedicated to the wiki Reply with quote

Hello,

It appears to me that, in this community like in many others, the forum is over-used and the wiki underused.
There is a lot of very interesting and useful information that is interesting in the long term but that does not find its way up to the wiki.

Can we:
1) find a nice way to gently encourage forum participants to contribute the most interesting parts of their comments to the wiki?
2) create a sub-forum somewhere here dedicated to discussing the wiki (organization, presentation, translation)? Unless I missed it, I didn't see a mailing list dedicated to the wiki, either (but one dedicated to 'documentation' which may or may not be the same).

Two days ago, I looked in the wiki and there was no page dedicated to Blender.
I went ahead and created one. Being new here, I couldn't add much, but I added what I could (cross-references, etc.)
But thanks to Khumarahn's amazing contribution, we know have a very complete, informative wiki page on how to emerge blender within Gento:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Blender
Obviously, the wiki page about Blender can be edited and updated any time, as the situation evolves.

It'd be nice if the same could be achieve on every topic being discussed here.

For me, contributing information to a wiki shouldn't be an after-thought. It should be an integral part of the process of helping each other out in these forums.

yours,

a.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: A sub-forum dedicated to the wiki Reply with quote

augustin wrote:
It appears to me that, in this community like in many others, the forum is over-used and the wiki underused.
There is a lot of very interesting and useful information that is interesting in the long term but that does not find its way up to the wiki.

The problem is that the wiki is subject to the whims of w/e is doing web stuff this month; most recently this has resulted in a load of "analytical" aka marketing js.

Not only is this incredibly kludgey in some browsers (forcing one to use noscript), it's completely anathema to the spirit of Gentoo, and indeed Linux.

The forums, by virtue of being stuck on an old version of phpBB with mods (which no-one external is allowed to see, nor contribute to making better) has a better track record when it comes to simply working.
Quote:
Can we:
1) find a nice way to gently encourage forum participants to contribute the most interesting parts of their comments to the wiki?

What does that mean? If people want to contribute, they contribute.

If not "gentle persuasion" just turns them off.

The best way to encourage them, is to collaborate around the wiki using the forums.

Which I for one won't do, until the idiot js is dumped.
Quote:
2) create a sub-forum somewhere here dedicated to discussing the wiki (organization, presentation, translation)? Unless I missed it, I didn't see a mailing list dedicated to the wiki, either (but one dedicated to 'documentation' which may or may not be the same).

Doesn't make sense to do a forum dedicated to the wiki, imo. You want the natural split on the forums to feed up into the wiki, so the wiki becomes an extension of the forums.
Quote:
For me, contributing information to a wiki shouldn't be an after-thought. It should be an integral part of the process of helping each other out in these forums.

No that doesn't make sense; helping someone on the forums should stand in and of itself. Then you just link to the wiki, with whatever follow-up info.

What would help is a "Wiki" button on the "Post a reply" menu, and thus: [wiki]somepage[/wiki] markup leading to the wiki url/somepage.

Though the marketing js is a deal-breaker, since it implies the distro isn't really for the users any more, at least to some of us.
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL,

As you proceeded to shred augustin's suggestion, I could not help but notice you were somewhat harmonious with the OP in between the shredding. :D

For instance, I thought your idea of the [wiki] button in the reply header was spot on.

I'll make another suggestion, have package.gentoo.org provide a link to the wiki for each package, in much the same way that it already has a "forum" anchor to search the forums for the package.

Whether one enjoys the presentation of the wiki content or not, I will say that I have occasionally found the content of both the wiki and the forums to be incredibly helpful, and I don't mind the new look of the wiki.

Cheers
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin wrote:
We already have suitable means at our disposal: asking people, politely. You would be amazed at what that can make happen when used properly.
augustin wrote:
By all appearances, the wiki needs a forum section like dolphins need feet, so probably not soon.

steveL wrote:
The forums, by virtue of being stuck on an old version of phpBB with mods (which no-one external is allowed to see, nor contribute to making better) has a better track record when it comes to simply working.
While I appreciate the "better track record" part, our cloaking device failed long ago, long enough ago to have been before I had a forum account.

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks to Gentoo Forums Feedback, as the former is for documentation itself and the latter is for precisely what it says it is.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russK wrote:
SteveL,

As you proceeded to shred augustin's suggestion, I could not help but notice you were somewhat harmonious with the OP in between the shredding. :D

Lul; I'm all for more information, readily accessible.

Implementation ideas are always up for shredding, especially in software. ;)
desultory wrote:
While I appreciate the "better track record" part, our cloaking device failed long ago, long enough ago to have been before I had a forum account.

Wow; I appreciate someone finally linking us to it. Believe me, I've asked several times over the years.

Now we can finally see about patching those overly-verbose links.. ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: