[SOLVED] Failed to emerge media-video/vlc-2.1.2,
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sapnesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Failed to emerge media-video/vlc-2.1.2, Reply with quote

I recently tried to run a
Code:
sudo emerge --update --newuse --with-bdeps=y --deep @world
. and VLC is unable to compile.
I am also getting a
Quote:
LibVLC Failed to Initialize
Phonon's VLC backend failed to start.

This usually means a problem with your VLC installation, please report a bug with your distributor.

error msg whenever I try to open a media file In KDE.
This is the build.log file of my failed vlc update.
I'm attaching the last part of it which i think has something interesting
Code:
checking for mad.h... yes
checking for mad_bit_init in -lmad... yes
checking if linker supports -Bsymbolic... yes
checking for AVCODEC... yes
configure: error: libavcodec versions 56 and later are not supported yet.

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-2.1.2/work/vlc-2.1.2/config.log
 * ERROR: media-video/vlc-2.1.2::gentoo failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *          ebuild.sh, line   93:  Called src_configure
 *        environment, line 3220:  Called econf '--with-default-font=/usr/share/fonts/dejavu//DejaVuSans.ttf' '--with-default-font-family=Sans' '--with-default-monospace-font=/usr/share/fonts/dejavu//DejaVuSansMono.ttf' '--with-default-monospace-font-family=Monospace' '--enable-vlc' '--docdir=/usr/share/doc/vlc-2.1.2' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--disable-optimizations' '--disable-update-check' '--enable-fast-install' '--enable-screen' '--enable-a52' '--disable-aa' '--enable-alsa' '--disable-altivec' '--disable-atmo' '--disable-audioqueue' '--disable-bonjour' '--enable-avcodec' '--enable-avformat' '--disable-fribidi' '--disable-bluray' '--enable-vcd' '--disable-libcddb' '--disable-chromaprint' '--enable-dbus' '--disable-dirac' '--disable-directfb' '--disable-directx' '--disable-dc1394' '--disable-debug' '--enable-dca' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-dvdread' '--enable-dvdnav' '--disable-dxva2' '--disable-egl' '--enable-sout' '--disable-faad' '--disable-fdkaac' '--enable-flac' '--disable-fluidsynth' '--disable-fontconfig' '--enable-libgcrypt' '--disable-gme' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--disable-gnutls' '--disable-growl' '--disable-httpd' '--disable-dv1394' '--disable-ios-vout' '--disable-jack' '--disable-kate' '--with-kde-solid' '--disable-libass' '--disable-caca' '--enable-notify' '--disable-samplerate' '--disable-libtar' '--disable-tiger' '--disable-linsys' '--disable-lirc' '--disable-live555' '--disable-lua' '--disable-macosx-audio' '--disable-macosx-dialog-provider' '--disable-macosx-eyetv' '--disable-macosx-qtkit' '--disable-macosx-quartztext' '--disable-macosx-vout' '--disable-mkv' '--enable-mmx' '--disable-mod' '--enable-mad' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--disable-mtp' '--disable-mpc' '--enable-ncurses' '--disable-neon' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-mux_ogg' '--disable-omxil' '--disable-opencv' '--enable-glx' '--disable-opus' '--disable-optimize-memory' '--enable-png' '--enable-postproc' '--disable-projectm' '--disable-pulse' '--enable-qt' '--disable-libfreerdp' '--disable-realrtsp' '--disable-run-as-root' '--enable-smbclient' '--disable-schroedinger' '--enable-sdl' '--disable-sdl-image' '--disable-sid' '--disable-sftp' '--disable-shout' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-speex' '--enable-sse' '--enable-svg' '--enable-swscale' '--disable-taglib' '--disable-theora' '--disable-tremor' '--enable-freetype' '--disable-twolame' '--enable-udev' '--disable-upnp' '--disable-v4l2' '--disable-libva' '--disable-vcdx' '--disable-vdpau' '--disable-vlm' '--enable-vorbis' '--disable-wma-fixed' '--with-x' '--enable-x264' '--enable-xcb' '--enable-libxml2' '--enable-xvideo' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--disable-crystalhd' '--disable-decklink' '--disable-goom' '--disable-kai' '--disable-kva' '--disable-oss' '--disable-quicksync' '--disable-shine' '--disable-sndio' '--disable-vda' '--disable-vsxu'
 *   phase-helpers.sh, line  584:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *            die "econf failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-video/vlc-2.1.2::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-video/vlc-2.1.2::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-2.1.2/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-2.1.2/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-2.1.2/work/vlc-2.1.2'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-2.1.2/work/vlc-2.1.2'

In the 5th line it says
Quote:
configure: error: libavcodec versions 56 and later are not supported yet.

How do I solve this?
I have tried rebuilding VLC seperately with the same result as above.
please help!

Last edited by sapnesh on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
sapnesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the issue by running
Code:
emerge --sync
and then updating the system again. VLC was updated to 2.1.5-r1 and compiled without errors.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ffmpeg/libav is too recent for that version of vlc.
If that happened by your own design and you're on ffmpeg 2.5 (or its libav equivalent), you might as well keyword vlc-2.2.0, if not, vlc-2.1.5-r1 is being pushed to stable right now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: