touchpad stopped working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ballsystemlord
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: touchpad stopped working Reply with quote

Hello, my touch pad suddenly stopped working yesterday while the xorg server was running. I'm using kernel 3.17.7. xorg-server 1.16.4 and eudev 1.10-r2.
I re-emerged xorg-sever in case that I somehow missed the message but that did not help. I looked into xorg log file but there is nothing from xorg. I also check /var/log/critical/current but there's nothing in that file.
Here is the output of dmesg:
http://dpaste.com/20X5Q6W
If you need anything else just yell.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
[12338.219109] udevd[310]: unknown key 'SYSFS{product}' in /lib64/udev/rules.d/20-lego.rules:1

Quote:
Code:
[23083.492589] udevd[7094]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/usb-db' 'usb-db /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-1': No such file or directory
[23083.538857] udevd[7098]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/usb-db' 'usb-db /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-1/3-1:1.0': No such file or directory

There's at least one configuration error in your udev rules, and the second error isn't normal.

Since we can't assume reasonable defaults for this installation, you need to post all customisations you've made to udev's configuration.
ballsystemlord
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made NO customizations to udev.
I also tried booting up a rescue cd and selected a tool that I knew worked and it also does not recognize the touchpad.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard udev doesn't have that file in /lib64/udev/rules.d/. So if you haven't put it there, someone else has broken into your computer and done it?
ballsystemlord
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
A standard udev doesn't have that file in /lib64/udev/rules.d/. So if you haven't put it there, someone else has broken into your computer and done it?

A scary possibility.
I must admit that I only recently realized that I don't have a firewall up and running (at least I've not configured one). However, it seems unlikely that this could have been done since I have no publicly exposed services running and I'm always connecting to a wireless NAT router and I run firefox with noscript. So finding and attacking me would be difficult.
Any suggestions?
I'll run rkhunter and do a few checks for malicious stuff. But my desktop is down due to a major bug in the setup or in opensuse (it crashes once every 20 min), so there's only so much I can do.
As for the file that's in question, I'll delete it.
ballsystemlord
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This still does not explain why a know good CDR can't access the touchpad....
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the EC firmware has become corrupted. That requires pulling the battery and/or a BIOS reset to fix.
ballsystemlord
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file belongs to an installed package, long story short I'm researching windowz software replacements for my brother and the file belongs to legousbtower.
As for the touchpad problem, it suddenly started working again, I promise I did not do anything. Then X crashed. Sadly the ulimit -u value is 0 and the dump when to something other then stdout or stderr, which I find strange.
I rebooted and now the CD and X accept the touchpad....
I don't know how I might further trouble shoot.
The only thing I can think of that I do differently then in Opensuse is that I start X (and I've not written an xorg conf yet), and I suspend using pm-suspend. The laptop was formerly running Opensuse, that's is why I'm mentioning it. I'm using the standard gentoo sources kernel, as opposed to tux on ice, what the difference is is still not clear to me but it seems to kave something to do with suspending and hibernating.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: