View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: bluefish - insane cpu usage with gtk+3 Reply with quote

Hi.

I have been blocking gtk+3 for a while, because it gave me no end of troubles. So I just masked >=gtk+-3 and solved the problem for good.

However I wanted to give a new bluefish version a try and unmasked gtk3 just to try. Supposedly, all the bug fixing and shinny new stuff is in that code path.

I update bluefish to 2.2.6 and when I ran it I remembered all of a sudden why the hell I'm still using the gtk2 branch. The cpu goes mad and I can barely move the cursor.

And yes, I have tried many gtk3 themes, so that's not it.

So, once more I am back to editing the bluefish ebuild to remove gtk3 and add --with-gtk2 to the econf line. It works beautifully as it always did.

I am not looking for a solution as much as I am writing this as a reminder. But I also feel curious if I am the only one experiencing this, since I have found no relevant info on the net.
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in my package.mask:

Code:
#latest gtk sucks
>x11-libs/gtk+-3.4.4
>=x11-misc/spacefm-0.9.3
>=app-editors/bluefish-2.2.3

Bluefish plus gtk3 sends the cpu constantly to 100%, making bluefish unusable.
Spacefm plus gkt3 removes the functionality that made me choose spacefm over dolphin.
Eventually I suppose I'll switch back to dolphin. I'm looking for a replacement for bluefish.
I use my computer for image editing and I don't know what I'll do when GIMP switches to gtk3.

Elle
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am not alone. Thanks for dropping a note.

Just for your info, you can continue upgrading bluefish, at least for the time being (not that there's much new stuff to see, but still...).

All you need to do is to copy the latest ebuild in your local overlay, and then remove the gtk+-3 and gucharmap dependencies. Then add this somewhere in the middle of the econf block:

Code:
                --with-gtk2 \

And you will be happy again.

In any case it's indubitable that gtk+2.x will go the way of the dodo soon enough. So, yes, we will definitely migrate to something else. Probably Qt based since they at least don't screw everything with each new update. I might as well go back to vim, I don't know. Migrating away from an editor you've used for more than a decade is almost as painful as getting your dearest pet killed by a truck. But this is getting unusable.

As for gimp I really can't offer an alternative. There's krita /ugh/ and a few others but nothing serious as far as I know. No alternative for inkscape either.
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! for the "how to". You are right - adapting to a new text editor isn't easy. I use geany for writing code and bluefish for writing html. Both are gtk. Over the last couple of years I've looked for alternatives and haven't yet found one.

I don't want to learn vim or emacs.
I don't want a mono- or java-based application, though jedit looks promising.
I don't want a "complete coding environment".
I just want a simple text editor that highlights the tags, comments, defines and such, and makes it easy to locate closing tags.

There seem to be several qt-based text editors out there that might be worth checking into, given that gtk2 is soon to be history.

Quote:
As for gimp I really can't offer an alternative. There's krita /ugh/ and a few others but nothing serious as far as I know. No alternative for inkscape either.

Krita used to be unstable on my machine. Since 2.8 and esp. Krita 2.9 it's a lot more stable and is actually pretty awesome for digital painting, though it's not a substitute for a photographic editing application.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that all the new stuff goes to the gtk3 branch.

I don't follow their mailing, but surely gtk2 code path will, eventually, be scheduled for removal. We can probably keep and old version time enough, though. But even that will only get harder as gtk2 gets deprecated.

Geany would be ok, if it only had proper css support.

The right way to solve this would be a qt port of bluefish :lol:
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, at least this *has* a working --with-gtk2 option, even if some idiot gentoo dev tried denying users the choice.

I'm currently stuck without graphical volume controls - kmix won't work because my qt4's completely broken, pavucontrol advertises a gtk2 ./configure flag that doesn't compile, and no way in hell am I installing gtkmm-3 or kdelibs-5 (with mandatory polkit!) for this minor thing...
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Bah, at least this *has* a working --with-gtk2 option, even if some idiot gentoo dev tried denying users the choice.

I'm currently stuck without graphical volume controls - kmix won't work because my qt4's completely broken, pavucontrol advertises a gtk2 ./configure flag that doesn't compile, and no way in hell am I installing gtkmm-3 or kdelibs-5 (with mandatory polkit!) for this minor thing...

A funny thing happened when I tried to "emerge --update". A bunch of new software wanted to install itself, and all of it was pulled in by Bluefish:
Code:
gentoo ~ # emerge -pv --update bluefish
/usr/lib64/python3.3/site-packages/portage/_sets/files.py:154: BytesWarning: Comparison between bytes and string
  if d[:1] == '.':

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/libyaml-0.1.6  USE="-doc -examples -static-libs {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/awk-1  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-util/itstool-2.0.2  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ] app-text/docbook-xml-dtd-4.3-r1:4.3 [4.1.2-r6:4.1.2, 4.2-r2:4.2, 4.4-r2:4.4, 4.5-r1:4.5] 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] net-libs/libproxy-0.4.11-r2  USE="-gnome -kde -mono -networkmanager -perl -python -spidermonkey {-test} -webkit" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/yelp-xsl-3.14.0  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/yelp-tools-3.14.1  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] net-libs/glib-networking-2.42.1  USE="libproxy ssl -gnome -smartcard {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] net-libs/libsoup-2.48.1:2.4  USE="ssl -debug -introspection -samba {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/appstream-glib-0.3.4:0/7  USE="-introspection -nls" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-util/appdata-tools-0.1.8-r1  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/gucharmap-3.14.2:2.90  USE="-cjk -debug -introspection {-test} -vala" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-editors/bluefish-2.2.6  USE="-nls -python -spell" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 3,705 KiB

I don't want any of that new software installed on my system for any reason, period. So I uninstalled Bluefish from Gentoo.

Bluefish 2.7 defaults to html5 and has better support for html5 than previous versions, and my website (http://ninedegreesbelow.com, devoted to color management and free/libre image editing) is an html5 website. So I downloaded the sourcecode for bluefish 2.7 and installed it using the "--with-gtk2" configure option, which for some reason Gentoo doesn't provide as an option to the user. Bluefish 2.7 installed from source without requiring *any* of the packages that Gentoo wants to install in order to update to Bluefish 2.6.

Why doesn't Gentoo provide the Bluefish "--with-gtk2" option to Gentoo users? Why should Gentoo users who use Bluefish be required to put up with GTK3 and all the unwanted dependencies that updating Bluefish through Gentoo would pull in? At present there are only two Gnome libraries on my system: gnome-base/libglade required by Zim (I'm looking for a replacement note-keeper) and gnome-base/librsvg required by darktable, which doesn't provide a flag to not pull in svg support but eventually I'll try hacking the source code.

I don't want any more Gnome software on my system than is already there. The reason I switched to Gentoo was to avoid policykit, consolekit, systemd, Gnome software, and other such nonsense, and I was extremely grateful to find a version of Linux that made this possible. The day that I can't upgrade the software that I use for image editing and writing code without also installing policykit, consolekit, Gnome this and that, and systemd, is probably the day I'll switch back to Debian or OpenSuse (at which point I would steadfastly refuse to notice the unwanted software running in the background).

Elle
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use bluefish you can just put a modified ebuild in your local overlay. That's what I do for bluefish and several other packages.

All it takes to convert the bluefish ebuild to gtk2 is this:

Code:
$ diff -U3 /usr/portage/app-editors/bluefish/bluefish-2.2.6.ebuild /usr/local/portage/app-editors/bluefish/bluefish-2.2.7.ebuild
--- /usr/portage/app-editors/bluefish/bluefish-2.2.6.ebuild     2015-02-10 11:31:03.000000000 +0100
+++ /usr/local/portage/app-editors/bluefish/bluefish-2.2.7.ebuild       2015-02-23 23:18:03.362230267 +0100
@@ -20,8 +20,7 @@
 IUSE="nls python spell"

RDEPEND="
-       x11-libs/gtk+:3
-       gnome-extra/gucharmap:2.90
+       x11-libs/gtk+:2
        sys-libs/zlib
        python? ( ${PYTHON_DEPS} )
        spell? ( app-text/enchant )"
@@ -53,6 +52,7 @@
                --disable-dependency-tracking \
                --disable-update-databases \
                --disable-xml-catalog-update \
+               --with-gtk2 \
                $(use_enable nls) \
                $(use_enable spell spell-check) \
                $(use_enable python)
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to use bluefish you can just put a modified ebuild in your local overlay. That's what I do for bluefish and several other packages.

Hmm, I could if I wanted to learn how to use a local overlay, but I don't. The quickest way for me, personally, to avoid Gentoo's version of Bluefish is to install Bluefish from source. I already install a lot of software from source, and installing one more makes no difference one way or the other. Also, overlays and installations from source aren't solutions for everyone. It seems to me that Gentoo could easily provide flags for Bluefish for Gentoo users who aren't ready for GTK3, as Bluefish itself already makes such provision.

Putting the issue of Bluefish with GTK 2 vs 3 to one side, why does updating to Bluefish 2.6 through Gentoo also pulls in all those other packages? glib-networking? libsoup? yelp-tools? what gives?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElleStone wrote:
Quote:

Hmm, I could if I wanted to learn how to use a local overlay, but I don't. The quickest way for me, personally, to avoid Gentoo's version of Bluefish is to install Bluefish from source. I already install a lot of software from source, and installing one more makes no difference one way or the other.

There's the difference that portage knows nothing about them, which could and will cause trouble when it comes to libraries, drivers and the like. But, you are free to do as you wish, of course. I hope that you are, at the very least, keeping the source trees for uninstall and installing to /usr/local or something.

Quote:
Also, overlays and installations from source aren't solutions for everyone. It seems to me that Gentoo could easily provide flags for Bluefish for Gentoo users who aren't ready for GTK3, as Bluefish itself already makes such provision.

Even more: it used to be that way. But then, once upon a time we also had flags for gtk1 and gtk2, which eventually were also eliminated as all the gtk1 legacy applications went the way of the dodo (I clearly remember that war as if it was yesterday).

I also wish gtk2 was receiving more love than it does in portage nowadays, but, remember that at the end of the day, this is free software and developers choose what to work on. I, myself, opened bugs about this same issue in bugzilla, but they just don't want to maintain that branch any more than necessary. If you want to change that, become a developer and work to keep gtk2 alive in Gentoo.

You could also look at it the opposite way: they could tell us to just shut up and fix the damn bluefish/gtk3 bug, and we would, rightfully, answer that we don't care about gtk3 related stuff. The same that they tell us that they don't care about gtk2 ones since gtk2 is being phased out. The agony will be much longer this time, though, since the gimp and some key programs haven't migrated to gtk3 still, and some others are utterly buggy such as bluefish and evince. Libreoffice has, only recently, become usable, I think. Haven't tested it myself though.

Quote:
Putting the issue of Bluefish with GTK 2 vs 3 to one side, why does updating to Bluefish 2.6 through Gentoo also pulls in all those other packages? glib-networking? libsoup? yelp-tools? what gives?

That's how dependencies work. If you want to know what exactly pushes this or that, use the -t parameter to emerge, which will produce a more-or-less tree-like output.

Both versions only differ in gucharmap and gtk3, so, anything else that comes in the merge, comes only as a sub-dependency of either of these. Note that USE flags can affect the dep-tree to a great extent.
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ifyou want to change that, become a developer and work to keep gtk2 alive in Gentoo.

People say this kind of thing a lot, but it's not all that helpful and mostly serves to end further discussion.

I think that everyone who uses Linux and free software should help contribute in some way. I actively contribute to GIMP development, so when GIMP switches to gtk3, so will I. But I'd like to postpone the agony as long as possible, and by that time I hope GIMP is the only program on my computer that uses gtk, at which point I'll install gtk in a prefix right along with GIMP. I also work diligently to help iron out bugs in several other image editing and color management-related softwares, which means keeping up to date with git, filing bug reports, and helping to troubleshoot. Plus I maintain a website devoted to free/libre color management and image editing. Where, exactly, am I supposed to find the time and acquire the gtk coding expertise to add gtk2 development to my list of things to work on?

For software like Bluefish that already has built-in options to not switch to gkt3, and given the gtk2 will be with us for a long time to come, why does Gentoo not provide a gtk2 use flag for Bluefish? Isn't that what use flags are for? Giving people options? Isn't having options the main reason for running Gentoo in the first place?

Best,
Elle
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't misunderstand me. I am, basically, with you. But the Gentoo developers are as free to discard gtk2 just as you are free to keep it. It's their choice. Freedom works both ways.

I might not agree with them in that, but I am not paying them and they can do whatever they want with their time.

I am also free to keep an overlay and continue using bluefish with gtk2 for as long as it works, or for as long as I or someone else is able to patch it so it doesn't bitrot.

If you are one of those developers, then you can choose what to do with your time as well. That's all I was saying.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Hmmm.

Does Bluefish start hogging up the CPU right after starting it, and without doing anything specific? I've used it very rarely for a very tiny amount of time total, but if I run it right now and load some html-files, it seems fine so far. In fact while idle, it doesn't use the CPU at all.

Code:
$ emerge --verbose=n --info app-editors/bluefish x11-libs/gtk+
Portage 2.2.18 (python 2.7.9-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0, gcc-4.9.2, glibc-2.20-r2, 3.19.3-ck-CommodoreL x86_64)
=================================================================
                         System Settings
System uname: Linux-3.19.3-ck-CommodoreL-x86_64-AMD_Phenom-tm-_II_X6_1090T_Processor-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:     8165960 total,   3345372 free
KiB Swap:    8388604 total,   8388604 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:00:01 +0000
sh bash 4.3_p33-r2
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.25 p1.0) 2.25
distcc 3.2rc1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [disabled]
ccache version 3.2.1 [disabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.3_p33-r2::gentoo
dev-java/java-config:     2.2.0::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.20.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.9-r2::gentoo, 3.4.3::gentoo
dev-util/ccache:          3.2.1-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.2.1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.13.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r1::gentoo, 1.15::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.25::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            4.9.2::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.0::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.20-r2::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000

testi_overlay
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 0

games-overlay
    sync-type: laymansync
    sync-uri: git://github.com/hasufell/games-overlay.git
    priority: 50

kde-lean
    sync-uri: git://weaver.gentooexperimental.org/kde-lean

qt
    sync-uri: git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/qt.git

tox-overlay
    sync-uri: git://github.com/urras/gentoo-overlay-tox.git

Installed sets: @toxes
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/mnt/store_02/portage_stuff/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n --tree --verbose --unordered-display"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs buildpkg config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="rsync://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo/ ftp://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo/ http://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo/"
INSTALL_MASK="/etc/systemd /lib/systemd /lib32/systemd /lib64/systemd /usr/lib/systemd /usr/lib32/systemd /usr/lib64/systemd"
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j6"
PKGDIR="/mnt/store_02/portage_stuff/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext X aac acpi alsa amd64 anthy berkdb bzip2 cjk cli cracklib crypt cxx dirac dri dvd encode faac ffmpeg flac fortran gdbm gif gpm gstreamer iconv infinality jpeg jpeg2k lame lm_sensors midi mmx mmxext mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl offensive ogg openal opencl opengl openmp pcre png qt3support qt4 readline rtmp session sse sse2 sse3 ssl tcpd truetype uim unicode v4l vorbis x264 xml xvid zlib" ABI_X86="32 64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="canon" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="g15" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="en_GB en_US en fi ja" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby21 ruby22" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

Package Settings

app-editors/bluefish-2.2.6::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="nls -python -spell" ABI_X86="64" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.27-r1::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="introspection (-aqua) -cups -debug -examples -test -vim-syntax -xinerama" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32"
CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe"

x11-libs/gtk+-3.14.10::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="X introspection (-aqua) -broadway -cloudprint -colord -cups -debug -examples -test -vim-syntax -wayland -xinerama" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32"
CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe"

Bluefish » Help » Build Info:

Code:
This version of Bluefish was built with:
./configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--docdir=/usr/share/doc/bluefish-2.2.6' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--disable-update-databases' '--disable-xml-catalog-update' '--enable-nls' '--disable-spell-check' '--disable-python' 'build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-march=amdfam10 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib64/pkgconfig'
gtk 3.14.10 (runtime gtk 3.14.10)
glib 2.42.2 (runtime 2.42.2)
with libenchant... no
with libenchant >= 1.4... no
with libgucharmap... no
with libgucharmap_2... yes
with python... no

steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:

ElleStone wrote:
Hmm, I could if I wanted to learn how to use a local overlay, but I don't. The quickest way for me, personally, to avoid Gentoo's version of Bluefish is to install Bluefish from source. I already install a lot of software from source, and installing one more makes no difference one way or the other. Also, overlays and installations from source aren't solutions for everyone.

Learning to use a local overlay isn't hard, and it's much easier than managing from-source installations yourself.

You get reproducible builds as well as binary pkgs if you want them (useful for rollback), you don't have to manage the files on the system (including uninstall) and in addition the packages can be used as dependencies by others (including from portage itself.)

I agree with you about gtk-2, but as i92guboj said, it's up to people who want it to keep it from bit-rotting, ebuild-wise. (ebuilds aren't hard; the real work would be in bug-fixing, but maintenance-mode is easier.)

Local overlays are where that process starts.
If you're used to building from source, I highly recommend working on ebuilds for the convenience they bring to the whole shebang.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bug might be just gtk itself, whatever widget is used to display the editor.

It appears in 2.x and 3.x, and it gets worse with long lines, specifically if you use the line wrapping feature. It is just my appreciation. I sometimes do lots of html and css editing using this editor, gtk2 based is sluggish, gtk3 is just unbearable.

Since to me isobvious that the toolkit has something to do, it might very well be that the nvidia card has also something to do with it.

But that's irrelevant to me. All I want is to do some text editing. We used to be able to do that on msdos with a cirrus logic 30 years ago, really...
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

When I first started using Gentoo about 12 years ago I heaved a great sigh of relief: I had regained control of my computer. I fear we are now slipping away from this situation.

Gentoo is still one of the few distros that gives you any real choice on this sort of thing. When it looses that, it will cease to have any relevance and I'll move to Fedora or *buntu.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: