View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Qemu+spice+kvm and video memory Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm running the latest version of qemu. The guest OS is Win7. I'm trying to run an application that demands at least 64M of video memory.

I have have googled the heck out of this, but nothing I find will work. Am I doing something wrong here?

No matter how much I pass for video ram, Windows always reports as 16MB (right click desktop > Screen Resolution > advanced). Dedicated video memory is always n/a. System Video memory is always n/a. Shared System Memory is always n/a.

Here is what I issue to start up the qemu box:
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -cpu host -vga qxl -global qxl-vga.ram_size=67108864 -global qxl-vga.vram_size=33554422 -smp cpus=2 -soundhw hda -drive file=/vm/My-Box-WIN,if=virtio -usb -cdrom /home/grooveman/win7_64.iso -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no -net nic,model=virtio -m 16G -monitor stdio -name MY-Box-WIN -spice streaming-video=all,agent-mouse=on,disable-ticketing,port=5930

It is the -global qxl-vga.ram_size and -global qxl-vga.vram_size options that I'm fussing with. I'll be honest though, I don't know what the difference is... I'm thinking vram is dedicated video ram, and ram is shared? Not sure. Like I said, however, nothing I throw at it seems to work. It always tells me (as stated above) 16mb - n/a - n/a - n/a.

Anyone able to crack this nut?

Thanks.

G
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... that's what I figured. I wonder if anyone ever had this working in Gentoo?

Anyway, opened a bug report:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=532290
jpgrego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. Did you manage to increase the memory?
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I tried everything I could find or think of. I see other people do this on other distros, so I cannot help but think it is a bug... if you come across something, please post back, but I'm thinking it will need to be addressed by the "team". Maybe you can chime in on the bug report above.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: