Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
error while loading ramdisk on sparc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prelude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: error while loading ramdisk on sparc Reply with quote

Hi!

I just learned of this distribution and I wanted to try it on all of my systems :)
I was reading along and found out about a sparc install. I have an old sun laying around and I wanted to try the sparc version of gentoo.

I downloaded the ISO iamge and booted, without much success. I do get SILO and I can enter "ramdisk". It even starts booting but after a short while everything just freases with this last error:

rcS[6] Unimplemented SPARC system call 69

I use a serial cable to install since I do not have that special monitor that will fit that stupid connector on the back :< BTW it's a sparcstation 5 with 2x9.1GB SCSI disks and a 24x cdrom drive. It has only got 64Meg's of ram and I am not sure what speed the processor is.

THnx for any help!

Pascal
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have booted it on a sparc10 w/2x cdrom, 2 gig scsi, and 64 megs of ram. It does take a while to get past the booting lol. Hoswever, the unimplemented sparc system call 69 happens alot. It's kinda one of those things you always see in the logs, at least in my time of using it. It never usually kills the system though. Are you sure it freezes, or is just taking a very long time? (i.e. cdrom reading, or something)

This should probably be moved over to the sparc forum.

I'm not trying to down the gentoo on sparc people, but in my usage it isn't ready. :( it's a pity... I slapped debian on it for now, myself.

Last edited by arkane on Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
This should probably be moved over to the sparc forum.

Good idea.
prelude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have let it sit like that for a litltle while, but as with everything new my patiance was probably short :)

In any case, the cd-rom drive spinned down after a while and after the message I allready mentioned just one character appeared on the next line an "R" so I just assumed that it hung itself up.

I also tried to CTRL-BREAK wich usually gives the "ok" prompt but that did'nt work anymore either.

I hope that there is a workaround available soon since I have yet to install ANY working os other then solaris on this machine. I tried SuSE for SPARC but I run into a lot of difficulty :(

Anywys, let's stick to gentoo here ;)
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: sparc install on console Reply with quote

I think the iso is broken for console installation, but there is a work around
Code:
ramdisk init=/bin/sh[list][/list]

you will get into single user mode without init starting up, so after you have the prompt you have to exec
Code:
/sbin/devfsd /dev -np
/etc/init.d/rcS
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: