[SOLVED] Installing in VirtualBox Fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Installing in VirtualBox Fails Reply with quote

Hi all.

It's my first topic here (and maybe the most noob one). xD
I want to try to install gentoo in VirtualBox (after I learn how to, I will install it in my machine :D). I have downloaded the file install-x86-minimal-20141209.iso
I think it's the right one if I want to install in a 32bits VirtualBox machine. Right?
Well, when I boot the iso file I have to choose a kernel to load right? So I type "gentoo" but the virtual machine hangs with something related to modules. I don't know what it is.

This image shows the problem.
http://i.imgur.com/pxrNhFF.png

Well, let me introduce myself (quickly). I am a Arch Linux user wanting to try a different distro (ofc, I love arch but systemd ...), well, since I have tried Gentoo before but I couldn't do anything I think Arch made me understand many thing that I will need to know while using/installing gentoo. I really like this distro and I want to learn many things about it :D
I've been using arch for more than a year but I want to try something more "hardcore" :D

Last edited by Jan0 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan0,

Welcome to Gentoo.

First, be aware that none of the code from the boot *.ISO ends up in your install. This means you can use any live CD or bootable ISO you have to install Gentoo.
Personally, I use System Rescue CD as its gentoo based, allows you to follow the handbook with no extra steps and gives you a GUI, with a web browser and an IRC client, so you can post here and read the online handbook as you install.

Are you sure you want a 32 bit install?

While VirtualBox is a 32 bit program, it will support 64 bit guests on 64 bit hardware. Even if the underlying 64 bit hardware is running a 32 bit OS.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Jan0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Jan0,

Welcome to Gentoo.

First, be aware that none of the code from the boot *.ISO ends up in your install. This means you can use any live CD or bootable ISO you have to install Gentoo.
Personally, I use System Rescue CD as its gentoo based, allows you to follow the handbook with no extra steps and gives you a GUI, with a web browser and an IRC client, so you can post here and read the online handbook as you install.

Are you sure you want a 32 bit install?

While VirtualBox is a 32 bit program, it will support 64 bit guests on 64 bit hardware. Even if the underlying 64 bit hardware is running a 32 bit OS.

Well, I didn't understand it very well, I can install gentoo without a .ISO file from gentoo page?
I did download the rescue cd you told me about, now I have a "system" loaded and I guess I can follow the steps in handbook (right?
About 32 bits install: My VirtualBox doesn't show me the 64bits option :( I don't know if it's something I need to set or the arch binary package only has this option
Edit: I have enable the VT-x in BIOS and now I will try 64 bit install :D

Thanks for help and thanks for welcome.
Sorry for stupid questions :D

Well, I am curious, is there a problem with .iso files from gentoo download page? I see they are a little "old", I saw files dated 2014 dez.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan0,

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask as you will never know the answer, so no need to be sorry.
Watch out for stupid answers though :)

The *.ISO that you boot from for your Gentoo install only provides tools to allow you to accomplisth the install.
Unlike binary distros, none of the code from the *ISO goes into your install. This means you can use any *ISO that provides the tools to install Gentoo.

The code that 'seeds' your install is the stage3 tarball which you will download shortly. This is about the only time you will use Gentoo provided binaries. Even then, you will rebuild some of them during the course of the install.

Yes, boot system rescue CD in Virtualbox, choose a 64 bit kernel, start the GUI, open a console window and follow the handbook.
Run the web browser to read the handbook, post on the forums,
Run the IRC client to join #gentoo on irc.freenode.net
... all while you install.

The Gentoo *ISOs are OK too but you only have five consoles.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Jan0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for information, now I understand it :D
It's weird for someone who always used binary distros. Well, in a matter of fact I have downloaded the install-amd64-minimal-20141204.iso file and this one works. Of course the rescue cd works too.
Well, thanks again for informations you gave me, now I will proceede with installation :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: