Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] Nvidia GTX 970 - How Control Fan?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: [solved] Nvidia GTX 970 - How Control Fan? Reply with quote

On older Nvidia based cards (ex: GTX 670) I could use nvidia-settings to control the fan speed. (I want to be able to increase the default speed before running some heavy OpenGL software.) On my new EVGA GTX 970 the fan speed is displayed in nvidia-settings but there is no fan speed control. Any suggestions for setting the fan speed on a GTX 970?

(It is a dual-boot system, and in Windoze 7 I can control the speed.)

Last edited by jagdpanther on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dweezil-n0xad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to enable manual GPU fan controls in nvidia-settings, you need to set Option "Coolbits" "12" in your nvidia xorg.conf

It works on my MSI GTX 970: http://i.imgur.com/JlQo0Tp.png
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dweezil-n0xad: Thank you.
I'll try this today.

Is that 'fix' documented somewhere?
dweezil-n0xad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/346.35/README/xconfigoptions.html
Quote:
Option "Coolbits" "integer"

Enables various unsupported features, such as support for GPU clock manipulation in the NV-CONTROL X extension. This option accepts a bit mask of features to enable.

WARNING: this may cause system damage and void warranties. This utility can run your computer system out of the manufacturer's design specifications, including, but not limited to: higher system voltages, above normal temperatures, excessive frequencies, and changes to BIOS that may corrupt the BIOS. Your computer's operating system may hang and result in data loss or corrupted images. Depending on the manufacturer of your computer system, the computer system, hardware and software warranties may be voided, and you may not receive any further manufacturer support. NVIDIA does not provide customer service support for the Coolbits option. It is for these reasons that absolutely no warranty or guarantee is either express or implied. Before enabling and using, you should determine the suitability of the utility for your intended use, and you shall assume all responsibility in connection therewith.

When "2" (Bit 1) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the NVIDIA driver will attempt to initialize SLI when using GPUs with different amounts of video memory.

When "4" (Bit 2) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the nvidia-settings Thermal Monitor page will allow configuration of GPU fan speed, on graphics boards with programmable fan capability.

When "8" (Bit 3) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the PowerMizer page in the nvidia-settings control panel will display a table that allows setting per-clock domain and per-performance level offsets to apply to clock values. This is allowed on certain GeForce GPUs. Not all clock domains or performance levels may be modified.

When "16" (Bit 4) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the nvidia-settings command line interface allows setting GPU overvoltage. This is allowed on certain GeForce GPUs.

When this option is set for an X screen, it will be applied to all X screens running on the same GPU.

The default for this option is 0 (unsupported features are disabled).
I was wrong, "4" is enough to enable only fan control. "12" is "8" + "4" :)
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks "4" or "12" works well. Also that documentation file, xconfigoptions.html is part of the portage nvidia-drivers package and is located at: /usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-343.36/html/xconfigoptions.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: