Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Successful Update Again!!! Will this Madness Never End????
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Successful Update Again!!! Will this Madness Never End???? Reply with quote

Okay, I'm a little frustrated. This is like the thousandth time in a row that I have successfully updated my various Gentoo boxes. I mean, sure: sometimes, things don't go completely perfectly, but I'm always able to correct it without reinstalling.

Other people get to erase their hard drives, start over, redo their partitions juuuust right, and have the pleasure of reinstalling Gentoo, but NOT ME!!! I repeat, will this madness never end??? The Gentoo Developers HAVE to do something!!!!

- John
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because your system is working perfectly, doesn't mean you can't wipe the drive and reinstall anyways :D

Anyways, I think it's the other way around, you have the pleasure of not having to reinstall Gentoo, because it updates correctly, while everyone else gets to deal with the frustration of reinstalling Gentoo soo many times.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here either. I switched to Gentoo again about a month ago. In fact I'm considering whether to go ~amd64 from amd64.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running ~amd64 since I've started using Gentoo, and I normally don't have too many issues. The only issues I usually encounter is the occasional bad digest that is fixed within 24 hrs, and the rare issues like eselect-opengl breaking the system. The only other times I ever need to do something, is when I encounter a package not compiling, and all I do then is just mask it and wait till it gets fixed (of course making sure there's a bug report open). Outside of updating, my systems rarely crashes. Ironically enough, the only package I have crash/segfault is marked stable in portage, and waiting for the dev to look at the bug report and bump the package version with the patch (upstream already accepted and commited that patch).
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, seem to miss out on the joys of repartitioning, reformatting, and re-installing Gentoo. I used to do it from a Stage1 or Stage2 install, for no purpose other than to say "Damnit. I built this. With my own two processing cores" and grin at the success of finally getting xorg.conf set just the way I like it - barely working with Nvidia's binary driver.

Nowadays, other than getting a new machine, I don't re-install. I've been running the same rolling-release Gentoo install on my desktop for atleast 9 years now. And that went through an entire hardware upgrade*.

* I don't consider a "Stage 4" tarball install a re-install. It's merely partitioning, formatting, and ending up with the same stuff you had before....and then the pleasures of doing an --emptytree rebuild with new CFLAGS! Oh what joy!
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always buy a new hard drive or try a new filesystem. I've been using the same Gentoo installation since I built this computer almost four years ago, but I've emerged -e world a few times, switched to an S.S.D. and back, encrypted my hard drive, and changed partition layouts a few times. If you're really anxious, you could always reinstall Gentoo from the beginning in a virtual machine. I find it a good motivation for rereading the installation guides.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same issue here. Although I'm running ~arch in all my boxes I'm able to fix most of build problems quick. I know I cannot take away other peoples joy to install Gentoo, but often when reading Install forum I'd like to offer to install the base over SSH ...
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keet wrote:
You could always buy a new hard drive or try a new filesystem. I've been using the same Gentoo installation since I built this computer almost four years ago, but I've emerged -e world a few times, switched to an S.S.D. and back, encrypted my hard drive, and changed partition layouts a few times. If you're really anxious, you could always reinstall Gentoo from the beginning in a virtual machine. I find it a good motivation for rereading the installation guides.
Oh, I have. My first Gentoo machine is on its 3rd motherboard, 3rd filesystem (Reiser3 -> Reiser4 -> xfs), 2nd hard drive controller (I think), and 3rd drive array.
Code:
ceres ~ # (head -n5 /var/log/emerge.log; tail -n5 /var/log/emerge.log) | awk -f ~/scripts/interp.awk
02/18/04 17:18:00: Started emerge on: Feb 18, 2004 22:18:00
02/18/04 17:18:00:  *** emerge --oneshot --nodeps ccache
02/18/04 17:18:00:  >>> emerge (1 of 1) dev-util/ccache-2.3 to /
02/18/04 17:18:00:  === (1 of 1) Cleaning (dev-util/ccache-2.3::/usr/portage/dev-util/ccache/ccache-2.3.ebuild)
02/18/04 17:18:01:  === (1 of 1) Compiling/Merging (dev-util/ccache-2.3::/usr/portage/dev-util/ccache/ccache-2.3.ebuild)
01/24/15 10:09:15: Started emerge on: Jan 24, 2015 10:09:14
01/24/15 10:09:15:  *** emerge --alphabetical --verbose --ask --quiet-build=n --depclean
01/24/15 10:09:15:  >>> depclean
01/24/15 10:09:39:  *** exiting successfully.
01/24/15 10:09:39:  *** terminating.
Almost[1] 10 years and counting, but no reinstalls. ;)

- John

[1] If you don't prune it, the beginning of emerge.log is actually the log of bootstrapping the stage tarball from which the system was installed. (I always to a Stage3 install followed by an "emerge -e".) The first entry in the log from my build is in May of 2005, so I'm almost there. :)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to be similarly smug and say I have the exact same problem ... but then john jinxed me!!! :)

build.log
Code:
 * Package:  sys-apps/usbutils-008
[...]
checking for UDEV... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libudev >= 196) were not met:

best ... khay
Al-Caveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that using overlays is a good way to break out of such endless boredom of sanity.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
I was going to be similarly smug and say I have the exact same problem ... but then john jinxed me!!! :)

build.log
Code:
 * Package:  sys-apps/usbutils-008
[...]
checking for UDEV... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libudev >= 196) were not met:

best ... khay
Obviously you must reinstall at once. :wink:

- John
Atmmac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to the gentoo dev's. I am running ~amd64 with no problems at all. No need to re-install ever. Thanks for the solid OS.
Jimmy Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atmmac wrote:
Kudos to the gentoo dev's. I am running ~amd64 with no problems at all. No need to re-install ever. Thanks for the solid OS.

I won't call that 'perfect achievement'... If you stop updating your packages for months, a 'perfect' update will become impossible without a lot of portage knowledges.

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about not updating?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
khayyam wrote:

Obviously you must reinstall at once. :wink:

John ... seeing as your not busy, maybe you can help :) How do I do that without udev, or some other package, being added as dependencies[1]? I mean, virtual/dev-manager is a thingy, right? I don't need udev because some package that doesn't have it as a dependency needs it as a dependency? I'm confused, I thought that wasn't supposed to change between package updates, or the now *needed* package would be selected for install. Actually, what is usbutils doing that it needs udev, /sys/bus/usb/devices/ now obsolete? ... or does the bus need re-numerated every so often? But anyhow, if you say this'll fix it I'm all for a clean install ... but any bad ju-ju and I'm calling in ghostbusters :)

best ... khay

1. ie, the fact that {x} packages becomes {x}+{n} on too many "updates".
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

This will fix it but it might mean a new install.
You will also need the gentoo-static overlay, which is horribly out of date as I'm frighened of git :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
(...) I'm frighened of git :)

Common Neddy... git,--the stupid VCS Swiss Chain-Saw,--is _only_ overwhelming first because of the numerous sub-commands. Wait, the man pages are there for you. Moreover, once the migration or the repository initialization done... you will almost exclusively use _only_ commit, pull, push (and maybe reset) every(?) day,--well, when you feel like commiting anything at all. And those (sub-commands) are pretty easy to get accustomed to quickly.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
This will fix it but it might mean a new install. You will also need the gentoo-static overlay, which is horribly out of date as I'm frighened of git :)

Neddy ... thanks for the thought, but the above was meant to be ironic :) ... the fact that too many packages suddenly start needing certain others, or indeed need udev for no real reason, isn't idyllic. I *don't* need a clean install, but had john not cast a hex on my perfect udevless install I'd probably do what I always do, package.mask and/or copy to my local overlay ... but no, John then ju-ju's my topic reply notifications with all this talk of perfection. If I wasn't extremely paranoid I'd think he's doing it *on purpose* ;)

best ... khay

note: In case its *not* perfectly clear ... the above is intended as a light jest.
john.newman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same "install" since ..... 2004 I think? 2004 or 2005 ish. I can't remember exactly. It has been rather boring lately. 8)

Maybe I could try lennux
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
note: In case its *not* perfectly clear ... the above is intended as a light jest.
I, however, am perfectly serious.

- John
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.newman wrote:
I've had the same "install" since ..... 2004 I think? 2004 or 2005 ish. I can't remember exactly. It has been rather boring lately.

john ... if you haven't replaced the disks and/or filesystem (which, btw, is cheating) then you can get the install date with the following:

Code:
# tune2fs -l /dev/sd{x}{n}| grep created

john.newman wrote:
Maybe I could try lennux

That's "GNEW/Lennux" please ;)

best ... khay
grot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering.. how often do you all take risks with your system?

Do you ever run two emerges at once? Or do you try to run commands safely?

Thinking about it, I've probably borked well over a hundred systems in my life, rofl, possibly in the hundreds - or simply had them die unfairly, like windows does. But I also do a lot of "risky" things, like running multiple installers. I'm just wondering how well Gentoo can handle that.

For example, while I was emerging libreoffice I emerged a few other packages (well, more than just libre office >> ). I was posting about display errors I had, and at first I thought something might have miscompiled. However, I emerged --emptytree world, still had the error, and found it was a driver thing, meaning gentoo must have been handling multiple emerges fine.

I'm not trying to justify what I did.. just curious, haha..
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done multiple emerges at once and never had an issue, usually what ends up happening is one has to pause and wait for the other to finish, so it can finish installing the package. Now windows, I like to play a game of how many ways I can get a BSoD :)
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerge 2 or 3 things at once on occasion. Portage does handle this well unlike scenarios I've had with RPMs in the past back in the early Fedora Core days.

I run Btrfs RAID5 on top of dm-crypt on my daily use desktop and Btrfs single on top of dm-crypt on my laptop. That has it's risks. But, meh. Fortune favors the bold.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Successful Update Again!!! Will this Madness Never End?? Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Okay, I'm a little frustrated. This is like the thousandth time in a row that I have successfully updated my various Gentoo boxes.

I just re-installed Gentoo again on my main computer after a few weeks of trying out FreeBSD on it, with LUKS encrypted root (LVM), regular kernel (no genkernel used except for initramfs), MATE desktop. Standard OpenRC handbook installation from the live DVD so I could read the net and watch YouTube while it built. Upon reboot I was expecting it to nicely complain and to turn my afternoon into a pleasure of hunting issues and missed kernel options, and fixing them with endless chroots and kernel recompiles from the live DVD.

But it didn't! It rebooted and I watched the init fly by and before I could say whoa I was greeted with the login prompt. A password and a startx later, I was in MATE. This is an outrage!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: