Question. Multithreaded rendering with CUPS/Gutenprint
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anydoby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Question. Multithreaded rendering with CUPS/Gutenprint Reply with quote

Hi programmers.

I have been setting up my printer (Epson PX820FWD) recently and found that the original drivers from epson are lacking everything - from duplex printing to quality settings. So I went for the gutenprint ones.
They are fantastic and allow many tweaks and the quality is better than that of a windows driver.

However I do not like the speed of rendering. A little A4 picture with print resolution of 2880x2880DPI takes about 5 minutes to render. I am observing that the process which does rendering (apparently CUPS is invoking it) works only on one CPU core, I have 4. I tried splitting my printing task into 4 tasks hoping that it would render others while the first is printing. No way. CUPS will wait until the job is rendered, then spooled (actually it's getting printed) and only then will start rendering the next job. Windows Epson driver would start printing immediately when I issued the print job without waiting for all the pages having been rendered.

Is there a way to change this cups behaviour to fully use the hardware that I have? I could not find this in the CUPS docs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: