View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaltheia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: [Solved]Trouble copy and pasting files Reply with quote

I am running KDE with Dolphin. I downloaded an audio book from librivox.org and unzipped it in my Downloads directory. Now I have 64 separate mp3 files in my Downloads folder and I want to move them into into a new folder. I created a new directory in Downloads, selected all 64 files with my mouse, right clicked to cut, and then right clicked to paste into the new directory. I tried to paste into the directory both from outside and inside it, however, the paste option is not available in the drop down menu. I even tried to drag and drop them into that directory, but they will not move. Is there a problem with my setting in Dolphin.

I am also wondering how I could do this on my terminal. The file name is davidcopperfield_01_dickens_64kb.mp3 and it goes from 00 to 64. How would I type the commands to move it into the new folder that I want?

Last edited by amaltheia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble copy and pasting files Reply with quote

amaltheia wrote:
I am also wondering how I could do this on my terminal. The file name is davidcopperfield_01_dickens_64kb.mp3 and it goes from 00 to 64. How would I type the commands to move it into the new folder that I want?

amaltheia ... I'll ignore the first part of your question to concentrate on the latter part ... really this is where a shell shines ...

Code:
$ mkdir Downloads/David_Copperfield
$ mv Downloads/davidcopperfield* Downloads/David_Copperfield

In reality though I'd probably do this ... again, this is what makes shell use far, far, easier than GUI "file managers".

Code:
$ cd Downloads
$ mkdir David_Copperfield
$ mv da[tab]* Da[tab]

... or something of that nature ... note '[tab]' denotes a tab key.

Thats it at its most basic ... but the more you learn the more specific (and usefull) it becomes:

Code:
% echo $SHELL
/bin/zsh
% zmv '(**/)(*).jpe' '$1$2.jpg'
% zmv -Q '(**/)* *(.D)' '$f:gs/ /_'

... I won't explain what either of those does ... just enjoy them as idiographs :)

best ... khay
amaltheia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble copy and pasting files Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
amaltheia wrote:

amaltheia ... I'll ignore the first part of your question to concentrate on the latter part ... really this is where a shell shines ...

Code:
$ mkdir Downloads/David_Copperfield
$ mv Downloads/davidcopperfield* Downloads/David_Copperfield

Thanks for your help! That worked great and was very easy. The command line does make things very quick and easy.
amaltheia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out why I was not able to copy and past my files in Dolphin.

I forgot that I was still working as root so when I extracted it from the zip file it assigned it to the root account. That prevented me from moving the files arround because they belonged to root and I did not have permission to move them.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaltheia wrote:
I figured out why I was not able to copy and past my files in Dolphin. I forgot that I was still working as root so when I extracted it from the zip file it assigned it to the root account. That prevented me from moving the files arround because they belonged to root and I did not have permission to move them.

amaltheia ... yes, well, "man don\'t" :) ... but lets say you wanted to find these files ...

Code:
% echo $SHELL
/bin/zsh
% print -rl ~/**(u:root:N)

easy ...

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: