Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
CGOG2: Have you ever re-installed due to failed upgrade?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pick the statement that best explains your history with Gentoo. Please be honest, if you haven't been as persistent with update as you wish you were, then say so.
Situation Never1
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Situation Never2
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
Situation Never3
56%
 56%  [ 38 ]
Situation Retry1
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Situation Retry2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Situation Cyclic1
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Situation Cyclic2
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Situation Hopeless
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 67

ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, reinstall=completely wipe, and starting fresh from scratch. :)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLexx wrote:
This is a followup question for those that say that they have been running Gentoo for six or more years and continuously upgrading. How would would you classify those systems, text based systems (like a server), minimum X11 systems, or full KDE/Gnome desktop systems.

Full KDE desktop, though semantic-craptop and nubkit-free for 2 or 3 years (and loving it.)
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

head /var/log/emerge.log
1166057554: Started emerge on: Dec 14, 2006 00:52:34
1166057554:  *** emerge  sync
1166057554:  === sync
1166057554: >>> Starting rsync with rsync://134.68.220.73/gentoo-portage
1166057587: === Sync completed with rsync://134.68.220.73/gentoo-portage
1166057621:  *** terminating.
1166057723: Started emerge on: Dec 14, 2006 00:55:23
1166057723:  *** emerge  gentoo-sources
1166057723:  >>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r2 to /
1166057723:  === (1 of 1) Cleaning (sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r2::/usr/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r2.ebuild)

That would have been when I rebuilt my machine's HW and went from a P4 (32bit build) to a Core2 (64bit build).

Same build ever since.
Since then I have changed MOBO (asus to giga), drive (hdd to sdd, good old rsync), cpu (core2 to i7) with the same build
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be in 'never 3' category as I have been using Gentoo long enough, but I like to install it anew when I install it on a new computer to stay familiar with the installation process and reread the guides in case there is anything new.

I have been using the same installation on my desktop for almost four years. I have installed and uninstalled (and sometimes reinstalled) Gnome, KDE, systemd, and many other things, along with switching from a hard drive to an S.S.D. and back, changing partition layouts many times, and using different kinds of hard drive encryption.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None Of The Above - you forgot one case...

Reinstalling to change from 32-bit to 64-bit.

I also tend to cycle through my hardware, and sometimes it's hard to tell whether a machine is old or new, because all ages of parts are in it. But I had several 32-bit machines running, and initially migrated one of those hard drives onto my first Athlon 64. I stuck with 32-bit for a while, but after I had enough RAM for it to matter, and as the developers migrated to 64-bit, I did also.

But it takes a reinstall.

It may also be an unfair question in a way, because I may have a hard drive with a Gentoo installation on it "go idle" for a year or so, then want to put it back into a machine. At that point I don't try to update. The new machine doesn't particularly resemble the one it came out of, and by then it's so stale it's not worth trying to update.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK the other options about retry and cyclic, are about not upgrading for a while and having to reinstall, because you couldn't keep up to date with the tree, apparently because dealing with dependency changes is too difficult, or something.

In that context I don't consider a fresh install on a new machine to fall into either category. It's just normal usage.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked "situation never 3".
I almost did reinstall though.

On this box I have KDE (~amd64) which I continually upgraded from I think 4.3 to what it is now.
Couple of months ago I started noticing a severe deterioration of legibility of characters in Firefox
and Thunderbird.
My eyesight is poor due to old age and makular degeneration so I tried to find out what happened.
To make a long story short I deleted /home/username/.kde4 with kde switched off.
After restart I opened system settings to get everything back to where it was.
That cured the problem.

Apparently something in the kde rc files was the cause.

Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reinstall i've made was after disk failure, when i upgrade my hardware hosts, i reuse the hdd or copy their content to the new host and keep going.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
The only reinstall i've made was after disk failure, when i upgrade my hardware hosts, i reuse the hdd or copy their content to the new host and keep going.

Exactly; you hadn't stopped maintaining the previous install before the disk failed, so it doesn't count as "couldn't keep up with maintenance, so had to reinstall." It's just normal usage.
Gatsby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Gentoo systems here. One desktop from 2006, another from 2011 and a laptop from 2012.
Never a need for reinstall.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. Don't plan to.
Irre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right I never have reinstalled Gentoo.

I contrast to other systems a gentoo installation becomes more and more healthy with time! :D
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had to re-install Gentoo due to leaving updates too long. I did a fresh install for most of my systems mid last year to start using tripwire on a fresh install (otherwise they would have been based on a 6+year old install).
I do still have one system with a January 2009 install date that I run mythtv on - so it's almost 6 years and counting ... I also have Arch Linux on the same machine also installed January 2009.
I think I decided around 2009 to fix things rather than reinstall ;)
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless!

My problem is, I want my system to be a certain way; Every so often Gentoo would break that so I'd stop updating until I could sort out an overlay or something, but usually by the time I'd sorted that out (Maybe a month or two), attempting to sync portage would cause total system breakage \o/

Then I'd just not update from the tree but instead and do everything slackware-style (Manual compile, or, if I had time, hacking ebuilds into my own portage tree).

To be fair this has only happened a few times; My server lasted the longest - began as a P200MMX and ended up an Opteron 180 :lol:
But that stopped being updated around the time kernel 2.6.38 became stable due to a sudden huge dependency cascade that I never got to the bottom of.

I'm only current right now because I just built a shiny new 64-bit system :D (Boy does it fly compared to the Opteron! 8O ).
I haven't been as strict with dependencies because it's so time consuming, but this system already has nearly double the number of packages my old system has, including new things like alsa, pulseaudio and graphics drivers (And this server is headless!) that I haven't had time to track down the source of :(
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Situation Never 3 - First gentoo install was 6 and a half years ago. Grew to 3 barebone machines (2 KDE desktops, one openbox/xbmc as HTPC) and a virtualbox guest. Updated weekly or monthly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: