refind options= help [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: refind options= help [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I love rEFIND, and the pages are clear and helpful, but I'm stuck on one point. Google has not led me to any pages or threads that have helped, so I have decided to try posting here.

I'm using the latest rEFIND, with default directory structures to boot efistub kernels and Gentoo linux.

I'm trying to get more information (higher resolution) onscreen before (and IF I startx). I'm using the proprietary nvidia driver in X, which is working fine, and have vesafb compiled into my kernels. I'm trying to pass resolution/mode information to the kernel. Not sure whether to do this in /boot/efi/EFI/linux/refind.linux.conf, or in /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf via a stanza. Also not sure whether to use video=, vga=, video=vesafb, etc. not sure whether to use hex or decimal notation for the mode I'd like to try. Have tried many combinations and variations of these options, with no discernable effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....

Last edited by bammbamm808 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to pass vga= as a parameter to the kernel.
The relevant doc is in the linux kernel sources: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/svga.txt:
Quote:
** Short intro for the impatient: Just use vga=ask for the first time,
** enter `scan' on the video mode prompt, pick the mode you want to use,
** remember its mode ID (the four-digit hexadecimal number) and then
** set the vga parameter to this number (converted to decimal first).

Whether to do it in /boot/efi/EFI/linux/refind.linux.conf or /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf is up to you, I suppose.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmaRsk wrote:
Whether to do it in /boot/efi/EFI/linux/refind.linux.conf or /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf is up to you, I suppose.

EmaRsk, bammbamm808 ... that should be "refind_linux.conf" (underscore, not dot), and the file needs to be in the same directory as the bzImage.efi (it seems bammbamm is mounting the ESP to /boot/efi yet storing the kernel on the ESP ... which somewhat makes /boot obsolete, you could simply mount the ESP to /boot and so have /boot/efi/{refind,linux}).

As far as which file to use for the kernel parameters, I would say refind_linux.conf, this way there is no need to edit refind.conf on updates as the parameters from refind_linux.conf are supplied to all kernels. Thats what the file is for ... in fact, I don't use refind.conf for anything other than the basic refind configuration (no menuentry's are really needed, refind will detect any *.efi on the filesystem). You can provide a number of entries in refind_linux.conf, and so be able to disable/change the parameters at boot (F2 gets you a menu).

/boot/efi/refind/refind.conf
Code:
timeout 5
hideui banner
showtools shell, reboot, exit
dont_scan_dirs efi/grub2

/boot/efi/linux/refind_linux.conf
Code:
"Boot softlevel default"  "quiet ro nopat threadirqs video.use_native_backlight=1 rootfstype=ext4 luks enc_root=/dev/sda2 lvm root=/dev/mapper/vg-root swsusp resume=/dev/mapper/vg-swap"
"Boot softlevel online"   "quiet ro nopat threadirqs acpi_backlight=vendor rootfstype=ext4 luks enc_root=/dev/sda2 lvm root=/dev/mapper/vg-root swsusp resume=/dev/mapper/vg-swap softlevel=online"
"Boot softlevel single"   "quiet ro nopat threadirqs acpi_backlight=vendor rootfstype=ext4 luks enc_root=/dev/sda2 lvm root=/dev/mapper/vg-root swsusp resume=/dev/mapper/vg-swap softlevel=single"

HTH & best ... khay
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ls of directory where .efi kernels are stored. rEFInd finds them fine. Also there is refind_linux.conf.

Code:
bzImage                    bzImage-3.18.0-ck.efi     bzImage-3.5.7-gentoo.efi  kernels
bzImage-3.12.13-gentoo     bzImage-3.3.4-ck.efi      bzImage-3.6.11-ck.efi     refind_linux.conf
bzImage-3.17.7-gentoo.efi  bzImage-3.5.7-ck-pre.efi  bzImage-3.6.2-ck.efi

refind_linux.conf:
Code:
"Boot with defaults"    "root=/dev/sda4 ro vga=ask"

this is having no effect on resolution on bootup. What am I missing?
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up going with uvesafb. had a look at /sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode and saw only one mode for my in-kernel running vesafb! Had other modes available in past with earlier kernels. No matter the reason. Changed kernel options to uvesafb and recompiled/installed, emerged v86d, rebooted and now I have a nice 1200 x 800 display on startup. Happy camper. Thanks to those who tried to help.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: