View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keivan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: KDE notification system problem Reply with quote

Hi
Recently, I moved my Gentoo to a new home. I mean I cloned it. Moved it from my old Desktop to my laptop. Laptops have some features like buttons to change the sound volume and screen brightness. These buttons did not work initially until I changed some kernel cmdline boot parameters.

1. Now my problem is that the notification system of kde do not show the degree of brightness when I change that?

(When kde dims display automatically, as a powersaving feature, I can see the brightness slider that goes from 100% to 50%, but when I change the brightness pressing some buttons, nothing appears on screen)

(I have an Ubuntu Linux on a different partition. With the same kernel cmdline boot parameters, Ubuntu works perfectly.)

2. The sound volume also works in Ubuntu, but in Gentoo do not work at all. I mean, pressing those buttons, I have neither a change in the sound volume (nor I see the notification, which is expected).

How should I fix these problems?
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1) Installi powerdevil
2) install kmix

should fix your issues

EDIT
@ 2) you can always bind your keys to custom commands (using amixer e.g.). You don't need kmix to have working volume buttons. If you use pulseaudio you might want to try veromix.
keivan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. I had both kmix and powerdevil, already.
As you suggested, I tried to map those keyboards according to this arch wiki entry about extra keyboard keys.

:!: My problem is when I press Fn+F11 or Fn+F12
Code:
showkey --scancodes
the above command is unable to detect the keys I press. I even do not know how to investigate this problem. Where should I start. What are the related components of my system. I guess kernel, udev, xorg or something else should be properly configured.

:?: Is there any suggestion to find the root of this problem?
keivan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I found the problem. I needed asus-nb-wmi module

Code:
# modprobe asus-nb-wmi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: