Help with network.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gloom_Scythe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Help with network. Reply with quote

Hello i have been a long time fan of gentoo. I built a new pc and im having difficultys with my motherboard's nic. My motherboard is a gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7. My nic is a realtek Gbe. Latest gentoo minimal does not see this nic... I have been searching google and im think my internal nic may be unsupported. Can any of you reccomend a good pcie nic that is supported by the gentoo minimal livecd? I refuse to use the rescue disk. Thank you for your input.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your output of lspci?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with network. Reply with quote

Gloom_Scythe wrote:
Can any of you reccomend a good pcie nic that is supported by the gentoo minimal livecd? I refuse to use the rescue disk.

Any Linux livecd can install Gentoo, even the Ubuntu one. But if you really want to spend money on a problem that can be fixed in software... try an Intel card.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloom_Scythe,

None of the code on the boot media you use to install Gentoo goes into your install.
Use whatever works for you.

System Rescue CD is a Gentoo derivitive.

Do check that your NIC is not disabled in the BIOS. If your money is burning a hole in your pocket, you will find it hard to beat Intel.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Gloom_Scythe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to use the minimal livecd to be the medium from a clean boot to install gentoo. I realize i dont use the livecd during install but i do not believe the card in the integrated nic is supported by latest GENTOO minimal livecd. I cannot post lspci yet. I wonder if uefi has anything to do with it. realtek Gbe. I will try again i guess. I have googled the chipset and all i get is USE THE RESCUECD. I dont want to use the rescue cd. I will buy an intel card if all else then. I will get back to you with lspci. Its turned on in bios... im sending this post in windows using the card. I just didnt know if you guys knew if there were any issues with this mainboard and integrated nic. Thank you for your help. by the way the internel nic chipset is: Realtek RTL8111F
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain why you are so determined not to use the SystemRescueCD? It is suitable for the purpose and, even if you have to buy a spare CD-RW on which to put it, likely cheaper than buying an additional NIC.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Hu said. Plus, if you are in IT business you can always use SysResqueCD on a USB stick to salvage files from various computers. And you can install Gentoo using it! No extra cost. I've been carrying it in my pocket for many years and I can tell you this is all you need - unless you need to re-install Windows (something I do not do).
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
I've been carrying it in my pocket for many years and I can tell you this is all you need - unless you need to re-install Windows (something I do not do).

++++++++1
I try to stay away from working on windows systems as much as possible(but grandma, mom, dad, wife all have windows, sooo.....

Back on topic, I can not stress enough how phenomenal sysrescurecd is. Has been a life/time saver for me on many various projects weather it be building a fresh linux distro, repairing a linux install, even repairing a botched windows install. In my opinion, there is nothing better.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloom_Scythe wrote:
I dont want to use the rescue cd.
+1 on this being pointless.

As someone said, use the right tool for the right job. Aside from being generally usefully, there is literally no drawbacks to using it.

If you are absolutely determined to shoot yourself in the foot, all that is left is using sneakernet or wasting money.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor,

Sneakernet is a wonderful gentoo learning experience.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ with sneakernet you can also lose some weight.

Is it just SysResCD you don't want to use? If so, use some other live system. Mint, Ubuntu, Suse, Mandriva (or whatever their name now is), ...
If you don't want to use any of those, either, I wonder why. It's not as if a properly installed Gentoo would have a problem with your NIC, it's only the minimal cd, which is, well, minimal.
Now it's time for the harvest
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: