xorg radeon not working for my Alpha
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donflan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: xorg radeon not working for my Alpha Reply with quote

I put a Visiontek 9250 PCI video card in my alpha. Both lspci and scanpci identify it as a RV280 9200 PRO AMD chipset. The radeon man page seems to indicate this should be supported. The xorg log has a long list of radeon chips, but the 9250/9200 PRO is not listed as a PCI card. That may not be pertinent.
The xorg log says "Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file." "no screens found"
I've tried various things, but nothing has worked.
The DRM kernel modules have never worked for me. Previously, my GeForce 5200 was functional with the xorg nv driver. So, I made a kernel without any DRM module or framebuffer support.
I tried making a 10-device.conf file to associate the radeon driver by BusID. This was from reading a post by developer chithanh on another forum, but that didn't help.
It's relatively difficult to copy text from my alpha to a machine with a functional web browser, but I can do it if necessary. I can say the xorg log is aware of this card and lists both sides of it (DVI and vga ports I presume). It can't seem to use them.
Is alternative architectures the place to post this? The alpha mailing list hasn't responded so far.
donflan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: it works Reply with quote

Compiling the X driver into the kernel was the solution. This brought out the PWS DMA bug because the video card was in a 64-bit PCI slot. Moving it to a 32-bit slot fixed that. So far, so good.
I hate the framebuffer console, but it seems necessary to use it with the KMS xorg driver. Unlike X, the console framebuffer doesn't seem to care about DDC choices. It picks the highest res and sticks you with it. This gives microscopic text an slow scrolling. Looks like I'll have to edit fb.modes manually. I don't see another way to do it. I hope I'm wrong and somebody replies that I'm overlooking something.
Oh, the X log identifies the card as 9250(AGP), so I guess it doesn't matter. The sleeping alpha mailing list woke up and helped me. Somebody was listening.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set the console resolution, add video=1024x768 (or whatever is your desired resolution) to kernel parameters.

Note that this may break fast switching between X and console, in case the timing between X and console is slightly different.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: