virtual/ffmpeg pulling libav?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: virtual/ffmpeg pulling libav? Reply with quote

Alright, this makes no sense. I am trying to install KDE but cannot do it. Trying to results in ffmpeg coming down, which the world runs on. However, something is pulling virtual/ffmpeg and for some odd reason this pulls libav, which I do not want. What can I do? Why the heck, with the REAL ffmpeg being pulled, is virtual ffmpeg even in there? Why does the virtual ffmpeg pull the incompatible libav? This is crazy!
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth ...

virtuals are such that one or other package can provide the dependency, in your case you want media-video/ffmpeg ... so emerge it, the virtual will then be satisfied.

best ... khay
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, so I have to specify ffmpeg. I fixed it another way and came back to report it. I simply added media-video/libav to package.mask, which fixed it. I don't want libav anyway, so this MAY solve future problems!
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
I see, so I have to specify ffmpeg. I fixed it another way and came back to report it. I simply added media-video/libav to package.mask, which fixed it. I don't want libav anyway, so this MAY solve future problems!

The_Great_Sephiroth ... well, as there will be some number of packages that provide the virtual one or other will be set as the default (otherwise portage won't be able to resolve the dependency by itself). By masking media-video/libav ffmpeg will be selected ... and thats one way of solving the problem (though emerging the package will do the same). There shouldn't be future problems as once ffmpeg is installed the virtual is provided.

Note that because some packages won't build with libav (recent versions of mplayer come to mind) these packages may be in package.mask to prevent libav users running into issue ... you're generally safe to unmask them if using ffmpeg.

best ... khay
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no package.mask, so the only masked thing I have is libav, which I do not want for anything right now, so I should be good. Thanks for your advice though! Wish I had thought about masking before posting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: