Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truekaiser wrote:
The whole thing? or when does this happen in the video?

I felt for context that it was worth watching the entirety. Afterall, it's almost subtle, at first. ;)
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: logind is next Reply with quote

KuroNeko wrote:
I just started going to university -> I don't have much time...

That aspect probably won't change, particularly once you're out.
Quote:
I don't have any experience in writing C (only did C++, Python, Java...) -> As I said, don't depend on me!

Hm. My 1988 copy of The C Programming Language (pre-draft proposed ANSI) remains my easiest read for the 190ish pages (compared to today's um... pardon me for saying, 'crap'). There are circles of camps, particularly post 2000, who would well advise you to stay away from learning C and from said book. I would recommend otherwise.
Quote:
Maybe someone can provide me some pointers? (what should I avoid in C, [...]

Is literally all about pointers versus what you may have learned. So there you go. ;) C does pretty much nothing to hold your hand and was meant to be close to a 'high level' replacement for actual assembly. Learning to use it properly will teach you a lot--particularly with respect to why so many damned band-aids on today's flavors that borrow some of its syntax (and little else). Actually, coming from a more modern day Java, C++ and python background, that may bug you a bit. Perhaps in the same way types (weak vs strong, etc.), and everything is an object I found somewhat objectionable. ;) In much the same way gross generalizations from $$$ consulting folks like "Uncle Bob" Martin regarding theProperWay (aka 'Agile/XP/Scrum') can be troubling. Learn all you can and try to ignore too much of the hype and religion for whatever because there is a ton more of that than before (grains of salt, lots of them). Even domain specific languages are a useful means to an end--as long as you stay within that focus. Hopefully your coursework still includes a 'comparative languages' and assembly in some form (if at least to learn some details on stack usage, copy by ref vs value, etc.). If you're fortunate enough to intern somewhere later on a veteran who can actually mentor you (if anyone does anymore) and learn from their code and methods, take the opportunity as you may benefit greatly.

If haven't quelled the fun and interest so far, try to keep your mindset always towards a strong focus on security and integrity (properly validating input, avoiding assumptions (null and uninitialized dereferences), out of bounds, scope, etc.). These are good aspects for your sanity with your code (and for others) along with peace of mind. When I learned C it was pre-highschool on an Amiga computer, which literally crashed if you wrote code improperly (no memory protection core dumps there!) But it's also very relevant with where the world and industry have went (cloud focused services business model--non localized apps) and the fact that all responsibility ultimately falls on you. A google search can find you a number of well wrote articles from IBM and others on using C in a secure manner with regards to do's and don'ts that wouldn't be obvious from an old K&R book (but get it anyway).
KuroNeko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Navar!

I think I can profit a bit from my C++ background, when it comes to pointers, references, etc. I'll look into the other references you gave! 8)

What I like about C is, that I don't abstract to far that easily, which was a problem in C++ and Java a few times, and I don't lose track, of what I really want to compute. Also it feels more simplish, KISS or so.

Anyway, thanks, I'll try to keep my hands of politics and get them dirty,
Neko
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is starting to get good.
the new debain fork, devuan is forking systemD's loginD. and are ripping out the systemD hard links to make.

from the readme
Quote:
LoginKit is an attempt to implement a compatible, yet standalone alternative to
logind and libsystemd-login (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd),
which does not depend on a specific init system.

It acts as a glue layer that exposes logind's interface, but uses ConsoleKit
(https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2) and UPower
(http://upower.freedesktop.org/) as backends.

https://github.com/dimkr/LoginKit
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately consolekit and upower are only better in that they aren't part of the kitchen sink.
But I'm glad to see that some are starting to try and do something different than accept the titanic as the one true way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: