View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: help with emerging Xorg-server etc Reply with quote

Dear All,

I run an AMD 64 box and am used to running Debian (Jessie) and Ubuntu. I thought to try Gentoo. I installed it OK after a bit of effort. I got emerge rsync to work and I successfully ran the emerge update deep world command.

Now I am trying to emerge xorg-server. My plan is to install xfce as the desktop.

I googled around and found wiki gentoo pages on installing X server, xorg-drivers, media-libs/mesa etc.

I also used touch to create the package.use file in /etc/portage/.

When emerge runs it complains that certain use parameters need to be changed. I used the echo"useflag" >> /etc/portage/packages.use command to add the flags and checked that the package.use file updated accordingly.

I tried emerging xorg-drivers, media-libs/mesa and then xorg-server itself.

Each time emerge failed. The general grumble was that the correct linux kernel version for the builds could not be calculated etc.

Do I need to learn the kernel configuration methodology and apply it, or since I made the kernel I am using with genkernel when I installed, is xorg-server set up to run successfully without extra specific kernel modifications after the event?

Do I need to specifically configure the graphics card and input devices manually, or should they be sorted as part of installing xorg-server package implicitly?

I am not sure how to post efficiently on this forum from a command line interface so I tend to logout of the gentoo installation I have and use another OS to post here which has a working window manager.

Suggestions welcome on getting better at using emerge and use flags etc.

With a bit of effort I can get some emerge screen/log file output posted here if that would be helpful for diagnostics.

Hope my noobiness is not to pesky.

Regards

Michael Fothergill
AaylaSecura
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: help with emerging Xorg-server etc Reply with quote

Hi!

mikefot wrote:

When emerge runs it complains that certain use parameters need to be changed. I used the echo"useflag" >> /etc/portage/packages.use command to add the flags and checked that the package.use file updated accordingly.

I hope you meant echo 'package-category/name flag' >> .... not just flag. Also, it's package.use, not packageS.use

mikefot wrote:

I tried emerging xorg-drivers, media-libs/mesa and then xorg-server itself.
Each time emerge failed. The general grumble was that the correct linux kernel version for the builds could not be calculated etc.

Sounds like it cannot find the location of your kernel's source files - what error exactly does it spit? If you do eselect kernel list what does it give you? You didn't remove the kernel sources (the package that installs them, I presume you used sys-kernel/gentoo-sources) after you compiled it and put the image in /boot, did you?

mikefot wrote:

Do I need to learn the kernel configuration methodology and apply it, or since I made the kernel I am using with genkernel when I installed, is xorg-server set up to run successfully without extra specific kernel modifications after the event?
Do I need to specifically configure the graphics card and input devices manually, or should they be sorted as part of installing xorg-server package implicitly?

Any misconfiguration or missing drivers should prevent you from starting X, not installing it in the first place

mikefot wrote:

I am not sure how to post efficiently on this forum from a command line interface so I tend to logout of the gentoo installation I have and use another OS to post here which has a working window manager.

When I was installing Gentoo, I found it helpful to boot into another Linux distribution (maybe a Live CD) and chroot into gentoo from there - that way I have a window manager and can google/post on forums and also have an interface to gentoo at the same time
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for helping me with these problems.......

I have done my best to address your queries (they should appear in blue highlight):

I hope you meant echo 'package-category/name flag' >> .... not just flag. Also, it's package.use, not packageS.use

The file is correctly named package.use

Sounds like it cannot find the location of your kernel's source files - what error exactly does it spit? If you do eselect kernel list what does it give you? You didn't remove the kernel sources (the package that installs them, I presume you used sys-kernel/gentoo-sources) after you compiled it and put the image in /boot, did you

I checked the contents of /boot: it is completely empty. Is that a problem?
I will go back to the handbook and reread the installation instructions and see if I might have forgotten or not noticed some commands I was meant to use to e.g. put the kernel source in the correct location etc.

The output of eselect kernel list is:
Available kernel symlink targets:

[1] linux-3.16.5-gentoo

Running emerge xorg-drivers results in the following:

Messages for package x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.8.2

*Could not find Makefile in kernel source directory
*Please ensure /usr/src/linux points to a complete set of Linux sources
*Unable to calculate Linux kernel for build, attempting to use running version.

Emerge media-libs/mesa gives output that seems to be working ie installing it correctly until you notice a line toward the end of the output that says:
“econf failed”

Emerge xorg-server gives:

ie -similar to the xorg-driver case above.

The var log output for the ebuild for media-libs (I hope this is not too verbose) is:

#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mPackage: x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mRepository: gentoo
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mMaintainer: x11@gentoo.org
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mUSE: abi_x86_64 amd64 elibc_glibc kernel_linux userland_GNU
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mFEATURES: preserve-libs sandbox userpriv usersandbox
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking xproto-7.0.25.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25 ...
#[32;01m*#[0m Running elibtoolize in: xproto-7.0.25/
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25 ...
#[32;01m*#[0m abi_x86_64.amd64: running multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure
>>> Working in BUILD_DIR: "/var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25-abi_x86_64.amd64"
* econf: updating xproto-7.0.25/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
* econf: updating xproto-7.0.25/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
/var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25/configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --disable-silent-rules --disable-dependency-tracking --docdir=/usr/share/doc/xproto-7.0.25 --disable-specs --without-xmlto --without-fop
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25-abi_x86_64.amd64':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25-abi_x86_64.amd64/config.log
#[31;01m*#[0m ERROR: x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25::gentoo failed (configure phase):
#[31;01m*#[0m econf failed
#[31;01m*#[0m
#[31;01m*#[0m Call stack:
#[31;01m*#[0m ebuild.sh, line 93: Called src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 3816: Called xorg-2_src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 4566: Called autotools-multilib_src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 694: Called multilib-minimal_src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 2914: Called multilib_parallel_foreach_abi 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 3220: Called multibuild_parallel_foreach_variant '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 2807: Called multibuild_foreach_variant '_multibuild_parallel' '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 2750: Called _multibuild_run '_multibuild_parallel' '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 2748: Called _multibuild_parallel '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 2798: Called _multilib_multibuild_wrapper 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 573: Called multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 2908: Called multilib_src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 3341: Called autotools-utils_src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 735: Called econf '--docdir=/usr/share/doc/xproto-7.0.25' '--disable-specs' '--without-xmlto' '--without-fop'
#[31;01m*#[0m phase-helpers.sh, line 584: Called die
#[31;01m*#[0m The specific snippet of code:
#[31;01m*#[0m die "econf failed"
#[31;01m*#[0m
#[31;01m*#[0m If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25::gentoo'`,
#[31;01m*#[0m the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25::gentoo'`.
/usr/lib64/portage/bin/isolated-functions.sh: line 195: wait: `econf failed': not a pid or valid job spec
#[31;01m*#[0m The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/temp/build.log'.
#[31;01m*#[0m The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/temp/environment'.
#[31;01m*#[0m Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25-abi_x86_64.amd64'
#[31;01m*#[0m S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25'

I could retrieve the config.log file if you are interested. I had a look at it and the main error is that the version of gcc is invalid.

The var log output for emerge xorg-server is:

#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mPackage: x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mMaintainer: x11@gentoo.org
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mUSE: abi_x86_64 amd64 elibc_glibc ipv6 kernel_linux nptl suid udev userland_GNU xorg
#[1m#[31m*#[0m gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!#[K
gcc-config: error: could not run/locate 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-cpp'
#[31;01m*#[0m ERROR: x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0::gentoo failed (pretend phase):
#[31;01m*#[0m Sorry, but gcc earlier than 4.0 will not work for xorg-server.
#[31;01m*#[0m
#[31;01m*#[0m ebuild.sh, line 93: Called pkg_pretend
#[31;01m*#[0m xorg-server-1.15.0.ebuild, line 128: Called die
#[31;01m*#[0m [[ "${MERGE_TYPE}" != "binary" && $(gcc-major-version) -lt 4 ]] && \
#[31;01m*#[0m die "Sorry, but gcc earlier than 4.0 will not work for xorg-server."
#[31;01m*#[0m
#[31;01m*#[0m If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0::gentoo'`,
#[31;01m*#[0m the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0::gentoo'`.
#[31;01m*#[0m The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0/temp/build.log'.
#[31;01m*#[0m The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0/temp/die.env'.
#[31;01m*#[0m Working directory: '/usr/lib64/portage/pym'
#[31;01m*#[0m S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0/work/xorg-server-1.15.0'

I am sure you noticed the message “Sorry, but gcc earlier than 4.0 will not work for xorg-server."

I tried emerge gcc (it tried to install gcc 4.8 or so I remember) but it failed : the reason for failure was apparently that it failed to run configure, it said in the output to the terminal.
I hope this gives you some more clues to what I am doing wrong here.

When I was installing Gentoo, I found it helpful to boot into another Linux distribution (maybe a Live CD) and chroot into gentoo from there - that way I have a window manager and can google/post on forums and also have an interface to gentoo at the same time

I will also work on retrieving the output more effectively and pruning irrelevant bits of it from a post on the forum.

Regards and thanks

Michael Fothergill
AaylaSecura
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikefot wrote:

I checked the contents of /boot: it is completely empty. Is that a problem?
I will go back to the handbook and reread the installation instructions and see if I might have forgotten or not noticed some commands I was meant to use to e.g. put the kernel source in the correct location etc.

The output of eselect kernel list is:
Available kernel symlink targets:

[1] linux-3.16.5-gentoo

Running emerge xorg-drivers results in the following:

/boot is where your compiled kernel image should go (if you use genkernel I think it will copy it automatically, otherwise, if you use make, it will tell you its location, so you can copy it over to /boot. That's not the problem here - the kernel sources (which xorg-server is looking for) are in /usr/src/. From the output of eselect I can tell that the sources are there (in a folder called linux-3.16.5-gentoo), but the /usr/src/linux symlink, which should always point to the current kernel sources is not set. Simply run:
Code:
eselect kernel set 1

to set the link to point to item #1 in the eselect kernel list output (which in this case is the only item anyway). Then try to emerge xorg-server and gcc again and let's see how it goes.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikefot ,

Code:
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/x11-proto/xproto-7.0.25/work/xproto-7.0.25-abi_x86_64.amd64':

We need to see the output of the
Code:
emerge --info
command.
Its probably the CFLAGS line.

I usually install Gentoo using ssh from another system. get the chroot up, install and run screen, then you can detach from the install target and it keeps running.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Its probably the CFLAGS line.
Could be issues with gcc-profile as well.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dataking,

Code:

Well caught!

mikefot,
What does
Code:
gcc-config -l
show?
One of the compilers should have an * next to it.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again:

I ran

eselect kernel set 1 (it ran OK)

and then tried to emerge xorg-server and gcc.

Both failed.

xorg-server died because I did not have a version of gcc > 4.0.....

Here is some (pruned) gcc build log output:

#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mPackage: sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mMaintainer: toolchain@gentoo.org
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mUSE: abi_x86_64 amd64 cxx elibc_glibc fortran kernel_linux multilib nls nptl openmp sanitize userland_GNU
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking gcc-4.8.3.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3/work

followed by more unpacking and load of patches (pruned) and some new files made by touch and the source was built ready be configured......

>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3/work/gcc-4.8.3 ...
#[32;01m*#[0m CFLAGS=""
#[32;01m*#[0m CXXFLAGS=""
#[32;01m*#[0m LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
#[32;01m*#[0m --prefix=/usr
#[32;01m*#[0m --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.8.3
#[32;01m*#[0m --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/include
#[32;01m*#[0m --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3
#[32;01m*#[0m --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/man
#[32;01m*#[0m --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/info
#[32;01m*#[0m --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/include/g++-v4
#[32;01m*#[0m --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/python
#[32;01m*#[0m --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran

There is more configuring output which I have pruned but looks to be working

Then you get this:

/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3/work/gcc-4.8.3/configure --host=x86_64-pc-linux
-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.8.3 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/include/g++-v4 --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/python --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran --enable-obsolete --enable-secureplt --disable-werror --with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-checking=release --with-bugurl=https://bugs.gentoo.org/ --with-pkgversion=Gentoo 4.8.3 p1.1, pie-0.5.9 --enable-libstdcxx-time --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-multilib --with-multilib-list=m32,m64 --disable-altivec --disable-fixed-point --enable-targets=all --disable-libgcj --enable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-lto --without-cloog --enable-libsanitizer
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for libatomic support... yes
checking for libitm support... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3/work/build':
See `config.log' for more details.
#[31;01m*#[0m ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3::gentoo failed (configure phase):
#[31;01m*#[0m failed to run configure
#[31;01m*#[0m
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 3681: Called toolchain_src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 4713: Called die
#[31;01m*#[0m "${S}"/configure "${confgcc[@]}" || die "failed to run configure";

Then there are some standard instructions to collect output from certain log files etc.

The output of emerge info was also requested:

Here it is:

Portage 2.2.8-r2 (default/linux/amd64/13.0, [unavailable], glibc-2.19-r1, 3.14.14-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.14.14-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_A4-3400_APU_with_Radeon-tm-_HD_Graphics-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem: 4051308 total, 3925116 free
KiB Swap: 5119996 total, 5119996 free
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:15:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.24 p1.4) 2.24
app-shells/bash: 4.2_p53
dev-lang/perl: 5.18.2-r2
dev-lang/python: 2.7.7, 3.3.5-r1, 3.4.1
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.28-r1
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.2
sys-apps/openrc: 0.12.4
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.69
sys-devel/automake: 1.13.4
sys-devel/binutils: 2.24-r3
sys-devel/gcc: 4.8.3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4.2-r1
sys-devel/make: 4.0-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.16 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.19-r1
Repositories: gentoo
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="acl amd64 berkdb bindist bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cxx dri fortran gdbm iconv ipv6 mmx modules multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre readline session sse sse2 ssl tcpd unicode zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby20" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

Portage 2.2.8-r2 (default/linux/amd64/13.0, [unavailable], glibc-2.19-r1, 3.14.14-gentoo x86_64)
System uname: Linux-3.14.14-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_A4-3400_APU_with_Radeon-tm-_HD_Graphics-with-gentoo-2.2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
USE="acl amd64 berkdb bindist bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cxx dri fortran gdbm iconv ipv6 mmx modules multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre readline session sse sse2 ssl tcpd unicode zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby20" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

The output of gcc-config -l was also requested:

It was

* gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.8.3

I installed nautilus pastebin on Debian Jessie today but I am using xcfe which uses Thunar......

I will play with xfce and pastebin until I can find a sensible way of using it to reduce the screed factor on the forum.

Regards and thanks to everyone who has helped me with this problem.

Michael Fothergill
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again:

I ran

eselect kernel set 1 (it ran OK)

and then tried to emerge xorg-server and gcc.

Both failed.

xorg-server died because I did not have a version of gcc > 4.0.....

Here is some (pruned) gcc build log output:

#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mPackage: sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mMaintainer: toolchain@gentoo.org
#[32;01m * #[39;49;00mUSE: abi_x86_64 amd64 cxx elibc_glibc fortran kernel_linux multilib nls nptl openmp sanitize userland_GNU
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking gcc-4.8.3.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3/work

followed by more unpacking and load of patches (pruned) and some new files made by touch and the source was built ready be configured......

>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3/work/gcc-4.8.3 ...
#[32;01m*#[0m CFLAGS=""
#[32;01m*#[0m CXXFLAGS=""
#[32;01m*#[0m LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
#[32;01m*#[0m --prefix=/usr
#[32;01m*#[0m --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.8.3
#[32;01m*#[0m --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/include
#[32;01m*#[0m --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3
#[32;01m*#[0m --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/man
#[32;01m*#[0m --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/info
#[32;01m*#[0m --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/include/g++-v4
#[32;01m*#[0m --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/python
#[32;01m*#[0m --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran

There is more configuring output which I have pruned but looks to be working

Then you get this:

/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3/work/gcc-4.8.3/configure --host=x86_64-pc-linux
-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.8.3 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/include/g++-v4 --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/python --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran --enable-obsolete --enable-secureplt --disable-werror --with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-checking=release --with-bugurl=https://bugs.gentoo.org/ --with-pkgversion=Gentoo 4.8.3 p1.1, pie-0.5.9 --enable-libstdcxx-time --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-multilib --with-multilib-list=m32,m64 --disable-altivec --disable-fixed-point --enable-targets=all --disable-libgcj --enable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-lto --without-cloog --enable-libsanitizer
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for libatomic support... yes
checking for libitm support... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3/work/build':
See `config.log' for more details.
#[31;01m*#[0m ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3::gentoo failed (configure phase):
#[31;01m*#[0m failed to run configure
#[31;01m*#[0m
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 3681: Called toolchain_src_configure
#[31;01m*#[0m environment, line 4713: Called die
#[31;01m*#[0m "${S}"/configure "${confgcc[@]}" || die "failed to run configure";

Then there are some standard instructions to collect output from certain log files etc.

The output of emerge info was also requested:

Here it is:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""

The output of gcc-config -l was also requested:

It was

I installed nautilus pastebin on Debian Jessie today but I am using xcfe which uses Thunar......

I will play with xfce and pastebin until I can find a sensible way of using it to reduce the screed factor on the forum.

Regards and thanks to everyone who has helped me with this problem.

Michael Fothergill
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikefot,

emerge --info:

Where it says [unavailable] there, it should show your active gcc.

This suggests that you missed the onscreen instructions after you ran
Code:
gcc-config 1

A reboot will take care of it. It would mean that you selected your gcc but not it your active shell session.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help here.

You have advised that I run:

gcc-config 1 (the number "1") which I think reconfigures the compiler settings (please correct me here)

Looking at some other web pages on this subject when I run it I should see something like:

# gcc-config 1
* Switching native-compiler to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.3 ...
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache... [ ok ]

* If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
* running shell, please remember to do:

* . /etc/profile

As instructed, then enter “. /etc/profile” (the “.” is an abbreviation for the command “source”) to update the environment variables for your running shell.

When I ran the gcc-config -l (minus letter "l") I think it did say I should run source /etc/profile. I didn't entirely follow what you had to do at that point......

But it apparently can give you a list of compilers to choose from but it only chooses one in my case

Some other web pages suggested that I should then run

gcc-config <compiler_number> (ie the one found by gcc-config -l above)

Then run

source /etc/profile (as prompted by the output from gcc-config 1 (number) above)

Then try running
gcc -v

If I would get output that looks sane (ie. no "command not found" message), then
try emerge again..

Does this make sense to you?

Regards

Michael Fothergill
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins and welcome, mikefot!

Indeed it looks like you need to select a gcc profile to be used.

Check

Code:
gcc-config --help

to see the available options if you didn't yet.

Indeed when you do

Code:
gcc-config -l

you will get the list of installed versions which you may then choose from to be the active one.

Notice the list here:

Code:
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.8.3 *

There is an asterisk, meaning it is selected, which your list is lacking as was pointed out.

Only one version is installed, so [1] option. When there's more, then you can select either 1 or 2... or so on and forth. You will see this in 'eselect' lists often in the future!

Code:
. /etc/profile

and

Code:
source /etc/profile

will indeed do the same job.

Methinks you shouldn't worry about pruning things. In fact, it's best to not cut off any info from logs even if you're pretty sure about it being okay. If it gets really long, then make friends with app-text/wgetpaste and provide the full log(s) that way.

Moreover, when you do include content from logs or terminal here, the [code] tags make it read much more nice-like. ^^

Again, welcome; I hope you like your stay!
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikefot, I just tried gcc-config myself on my system and I was shocked to see that invalid message myself.
Here's a cut and paste of my session:
Quote:
gentoo ~ # gcc-config -l

gentoo ~ # gcc-config x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.8.3
* Switching native-compiler to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.8.3 ...
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache... [ ok ]

* If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
* running shell, please remember to do:

* . /etc/profile

gentoo ~ # . /etc/profile
gentoo ~ # gcc-config -l
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.8.3 *
gentoo ~ #

That's a lower case 'L', not a one.

The genkernel command I run is:
Quote:
genkernel --menuconfig --install --bootloader=grub all

I use the old grub (0.97?) so if you are using the latest grub this may not be appropriate. it sort of depends on the defaults in genkernel.conf, but I beleive the command line supercedes what's in genkernel.conf

Until you have a working gcc and kernel installed, don't try to emerge anything else. Report back with a copy of your make.conf file. I really want to see it.

The first install is always the hardest. I like to use a liveCD and chroot in so that I can read the manual as I go.
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again:

Here is the make.conf file contents:

Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
USE="bindist mmx sse sse2"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"

SYNC="rsync://rsync3.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

I ran gcc-config 1 and it did the switching thing and warned me to run source /etc/profile

I then ran gcc-config -l and noticed that the compiler entry had a star * next to it......

I ran source /etc/profile

Then I tried doing gcc-config <x86_64-pc-linuc-gnu-4.8.3>

Then I got an error message:

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token newline

I tried a few attempts at this but it kept producing the same response.

Then I wondered that if the compiler entry had a star after it when I did gcc-config -l, then maybe this time I might succeed in emerging gcc 4.8.3

So I tried again.......

I think it worked this time.

It took an hour or so compiling and linking and checking things.

Finally it did an autoclean at the end and said it had installed 8 parts of the gcc compiler or something.

I tried looking for the build log in var log but I couldn't seem to find it.

The internet has died where machine is at present so I could not try compiling xorg-server etc yet. I think I had downloaded enough source files earlier in the week to allow the gcc installation to run.

The internet link should be fixed again on Monday.

If you could give me a hint on how to check that the gcc compiler is working properly etc that would be appreciated.

Regards

Michael Fothergill
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any obvious errors in your make.conf however, I would add
Quote:
-march=native
to the CFLAGS, but it's not necessary.

I would definitely add systemd or -systemd to the use flags depending on whether you are running systemd or OpenRC. I don't want to start another systemd thread, but whichever way you decide, the global flag will help ensure consistency. Also consider eliminating bindist. Native architecture optimization is a feature of Gentoo and works remarkably well on older processors. You lose this with a binary package.

A line like MAKEOPTS="-j3" will help. That example is for a dual core. See http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MAKEOPTS

I have the line
Quote:
LINGUAS="en en_US"

You probably want LINGUAS="en en_GB"

For X11 you will want lines like the following depending on your actual video card and hardware:
Quote:

VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau"

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse"

I think you should have a line like the following but I'm not a PYTHON expert:
Quote:
PYTHON_TARGETS=" python2_7 python3_2"

You need a GENTOO_MIRRORS line. See http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GENTOO_MIRRORS

To test gcc, you could try "gcc helloworld.c" writing a traditional hello world and running a.out.

I would just jump into
Quote:
emerge -auvND --with-bdeps=y system
to optimize your tool chain.

Again, did you install a kernel? Do that first. In fact, running genkernel will tell you if your gcc is working.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikefot,

Look at /var/log/emerge.log You need te be root.
It will tell what has been built and if it was successful or not.

The profile should take care of the USE systemd flag. You should not need to set it yourself.

USE=bindist. does not do what Tony0945 thinks it does.
It builds things without elements that would prevent you from legally distributing the resulting binary. It does not result in installing binary packages.
For affected packages USE=bindist gives you binaries you can distribute. It may cost some functionality.

If you want binary packages and there are only a few, they usually have names ending in -bin.
e.g. firefox-bin, rather than firefox

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Neddy Seagoon is, of course, right. I don't use the bindist flag and was,indeed, confused about it. Regarding systemd, I use an older profile (system has been running for at least three years). I used to run Gnome. I moved off the desktop profile but found that I had to set -systemd to keep it from coming back. That may (in fact, certainly is) be different today. I don't think setting it hurts, but NeddySeagoon knows far more about Gentoo than I do.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

Tony0945 wrote:
I used to run Gnome. ...
Maybe you didn't fully remove Gnome, so things are being pulled in again?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I checked emerge.log and gcc was compiled and installed correctly.

I ran genkernel a while ago when I did the initial installation to the point that I could do a reboot.

I then tried emerging x11-base/xorg-drivers, and it worked........

I think it installed media-libs/mesa at the same time.

I also emerged emacs.

I have been looking at some web pages on setting things up so that I could emerge xorg-server etc,

e.g.[url] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Configuration[/url]

On that site it talks about reconfiguring the kernel to allow a package called evdev to work.

This has to be done before adding the extra entries (nouveau drive, etc) into the make.conf file, and that in turn has to be done before emerging xorg-server itself it would seem.....

E.g.

Code:
Kernel configurationEnabling evdev in the kernel
Device Drivers --->
  Input device support --->
  <*>  Event interface

What is being depicted there? Is it the contents of a control file or is it the output generated by running command line based interactive configration program?

I also have another question. What sort of PC would be good for compilations and gentoo? I am going to assemble a new PC soon. I ad thought to get a motherboard bundle with the AMD Kaveri chip (A 10 7850K APU) plus e.g. 16GB of 2400 Mhz ram, a good PSU and an SSD.

I would put it in a quality tower.

Would that machine be able to do reasonably fast compilations with Gentoo?

Would it be better to build a machine using e.g. Intel processors?

Do the graphics cards contribute to compilation speed in anyway, and do SSD devices help relative to HDD's?

Also, would a parallel computer like this one[url] http://insidehpc.com/2014/07/video-introducing-adapteva-1[/url] in principle be able to run compilations faster than an ordinary PC?

Regards

Michael Fothergill
Selenia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take a couple stabs for you, though I am fairly new to Gentoo and had a rough start, I have a nice running system now that I am loving. First off, it seems you use systemd as I do. Did you add the appropriate lines to /etc/default/grub and /boot/grub/grub.conf to point to systemd? If not, you could be loading OpenRC with systemd installed, which I could see causing a conflict. Make sure linux-headers is installed(not 100% sure it is needed here, but being without it can cause weird compile errors for some packages)Did you delete your linux sources or move them to save space? OK in other distros but a no-no here as everything compiles from source. ls /usr/src/linux should list the main directory. Did you use genkernel? I recommend doing so as it does most other things automatic. Make sure you select the compile options you need. I personally run 'genkernel --udev --menuconfig all' because indeed you need to change some options for a proper running X environment plus change a few more for an optimal experience overall. The --udev argument is very important when using systemd, so is enabling it in the kernel options under the first menu "Gentoo Linux" or something like that. As others ask, how do your profile and use flags look? Do a 'cat /etc/portage/make.conf', a 'cat /etc/portage/package.use', and an 'eselect profile list'. Hopefully, these outputs and your input can get us pointed in the right direction. Hopefully, you changed flags relevent to the desktop environment when you switched. Oh and I would leave off the bindist flag(as others have said) if using multimedia to preempt any proprietary snafus you may encounter.

Edit: Nevermind on the make.conf. It looks fine though a bit bare. Profiles should take care of most things for a basic X setup(provided the right one is selected), though you may need more depending on what you wish to accomplish.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikefot,

Code:
Kernel configurationEnabling evdev in the kernel
Device Drivers --->
  Input device support --->
  <*>  Event interface
Is a view of the ncurses menuconfig, for configuring the kernel.

Thats what you will see if you follow Selenias' advice to use
Code:
genkernel --udev --menuconfig all
genkernel will drop you into menuconfig, where you make the changes you need for your system.

With 16G of RAM, you will be able to build most things in RAM. Indeed, with a SSD, you should to save write wear. Paradoxally building in RAM is no faster than building to disk, if you have the RAM. Thats because the kernel will keep the disk buffers in RAM anyway, so the disk writes are never read.

In the days when AMD and Intel were head to head, AMD CPUs used to provide more bang for your mony but Intel CPUs were faster.
Intel are still chasing raw speed but AMD are following a different path and targeting a different market with their APUs.
I have not been following APU development.

The Graphics chip plays no part in compiling. Its mostly good at floating point calculations. Compilers don't use floating point.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again.

Many thanks to everyone who has provided suggestions and input here.

When I did the initial installation I did not go for the systemd option. I went for the default OpenRC one.

It seems that OpenRC is effective https://solpeth.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/systemd-vs-openrc-on-gentoo-a-completely-non-technical-users-perspective/ apparently.......

I emerged genkernel and ran genkernel all as suggested in the handbook during the initial installation to auomatically configure the kernel.

I am interpreting Selenia's advice on the kernel configuration to mean that, even though I used genkernel to confifgure it automatically, no one on this forum would expect that to suffice alone to allow me to successfull install xorg-server in a confiiguration that would let e.g. xfce work properly.....

In reality, I will need to manually configure it in addition to that to succeed here, using the command she has kindly suggested.

I also need to add the extra entries into make.conf - now I have emacs to help me do that.

I will check what I did with the source files and the profiles etc and come back with it later.

Regards and thanks,

Michael Fothergill
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am posting the profile and package info requested in my installation:

eselect profile list -

Available profile symlink targets:
[1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *
[2] default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux
[3] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
[4] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
[5] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
[6] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde
[7] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde/systemd
[8] default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer
[9] default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-emul-linux-x86
[10] default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-emul-linux-x86/desktop
[11] default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib
[12] default/linux/amd64/13.0/x32
[13] hardened/linux/amd64
[14] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
[15] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
[16] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
[17] hardened/linux/amd64/x32
[18] hardened/linux/musl/amd64
[19] default/linux/uclibc/amd64
[20] hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64

and

cat /etc/portage/package.use

=dev-libs/libxml2-2.9.1-r4 python
=x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.52 libkms
=media-libs/mesa-10.0.4 xa gbm

Regards and thanks

Michael Fothergill
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am posting the profile and package info requested in my installation:

eselect profile list -

Available profile symlink targets:
[1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *
[2] default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux
[3] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
[4] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
[5] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
[6] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde
[7] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde/systemd
[8] default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer
[9] default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-emul-linux-x86
[10] default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-emul-linux-x86/desktop
[11] default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib
[12] default/linux/amd64/13.0/x32
[13] hardened/linux/amd64
[14] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
[15] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
[16] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
[17] hardened/linux/amd64/x32
[18] hardened/linux/musl/amd64
[19] default/linux/uclibc/amd64
[20] hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64

and

cat /etc/portage/package.use

=dev-libs/libxml2-2.9.1-r4 python
=x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.52 libkms
=media-libs/mesa-10.0.4 xa gbm

Regards and thanks

Michael Fothergill
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikefot,

You can get a working Xorg with what genkernel does but it will not make best use of your hardware.
To got an optimum Xorg, you need to choose the right kernel settings for your hardware and the right Xorg driver.
Unfortunately, genkernel cannont build a one size suits all kernel, as some settings must be on and others off.

To get a working non optimised Xorg put vesa in VIDEO_CARDS. You can leave it there, even when you have move on to a better driver.
vesa does not need any special kernel settings. Its just slow.

There is nothing wrong winh your profile setting but you will need to add a lot of USE flags by hand.
[3] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop would be a better place to start if you want a non KDE, non GNOME desktop install.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: