Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
intel wifi 72xx working? other recommendations? usb?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: intel wifi 72xx working? other recommendations? usb? Reply with quote

A wall of text but if anyone have experience in any of the parts it will be very helpfull

I have a Intel Nuc with a mini pci-e slot available some USB2 an 3 ports

I want to turn it to a accesspoint or whatever it's called, letting all my wireless devices get access to the lan and wan/internet (gentoo as firewall, router). I will do some kind of traffic shaping not sure if VLAN is needed for that don't think I will get a smart switch just filter by IP if possible. Thinking a regular wifi module or usb wifi module could be used for this scenario?
I also want to be able to turn of the antenna/radio so it's not transmitting 24/7 there seems to be conflicting advice and i'm guessing/atleast haven't found any hardware capable of doing this so removing the wifi kernel module seems to be one sollution (not sure if it works though).

I reasearched the Intel Wireless 7260/7265 modules, iwlwifi-7265 / iwlwifi-7260
The 7260 have had problems for over a year now, Intel has made an official statement saying it's some kind of powermanagement issues "not their fault" this statement was made for a whole bunch of intel modules including 7265. At the same time i've read that older modules "not" intel is working. So disabling that should make the dropouts work, other users is still saying the there are insane speeddrops with all fixes and latest drivers applied. And it seems to be an issue for all operating systems

There are still bug reports filed to wireless.kernel.org so I am thinking that this issue is very much alive and I don't think it will be fixed, Anyone got this to work without any problems?
Any other good modules available? For the last years there seems to be only intel modules available atleast in Sweden what I can see
Thinking of USB instead, not sure how good they work or what I should select haven't had time to look at that as I still have hope for a good mini pci-e module
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright some update

Gbit
- For mini pci-e the Intel Wireless series is rubbish, and I can't find any other options
- Same thing as above, the only ones I found with confirmed driver support seems to have issues with disconnects. Maybe I need to wait a couple of months

Other options im checking is POE wifi AP. Some of them seem to support for SSH and command line control (turn of radio, and scheduling when radio should be on) which is good. Though I don't want to be in the hands of the manufacturer everything is so badly documented, rather go the linux software route and remove the wifi module if possible.

So basically still looking for a good gbit adapter to be used as AP, will post back if I find anything otherwise any tips is appreciated
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: