which iso to install gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsfarinet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: which iso to install gentoo Reply with quote

I'm coming from debian and gentoo is completely new to me. I thought, i might be able to solve my problems with the samsung 535u3c (no suspend, no reasonable powermanagement) this way.

Now, what would be the best iso to install gentoo from. I don't know, if inxi is present here. The system infos it gives to me are the following:

Code:
Machine:   System: SAMSUNG product: 535U3C v: P01RAG
           Mobo: SAMSUNG model: SAMSUNG_NP1234567890 v: SEC_SW__1234567890ABCD
           Bios: American Megatrends v: P01RAG.N43.120612.LEO date: 06/12/2012
CPU:       Dual core AMD A6-4455M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2100 MHz 1: 2100 MHz 2: 2100 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7500G]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1.901 driver: radeon Resolution: 1366x768@60.07hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.17-2.towo-siduction-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: e8:03:9a:e0:0b:d4
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 50:b7:c3:13:d4:e6
           Card-3: Atheros

Thanks in advance for your patience.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any linux live cd's and install gentoo. Otherwise, it is recommended to use the systemrescuecd into of gentoo's minimal cd (systemrescue has better hardware support). Regardless of which boot cd you use, you just do the same steps from the handbook, setup the partition, dl and untar the stage3 file to \, continue setting up the environment , and continue installing gentoo.

I'm not familiar with inxi, but it doesn't look like it is in portage's main tree. However, it does seem it is available with a couple of the overlays. I can't really say which one is best to use on overlay, as I haven't needed to use an overlay yet.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer you are looking for is that your computer uses the amd64 architecture.

Although Gentoo does provide 'instillation' disks, they have no special software at all and have terrible hardware support. Using the System Rescue CD is sort of the unofficial 'official' way to install Gentoo. It has much better hardware support and doesn't require any deviations from the handbook, but you can use any 64 bit live CD providing it has the appropriate tools, including chroot.

NeddySeagoon fixed Dcos URL

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsfarinet,

Welcome to Gentoo.

If you have >= 2G RAM, you should do a 64 bit install. Boot something that starts a 64 bit kernel. Use a stade3 file with amd64 in its name.
With 1G RAM or less, do a 32 bit install. boot a 32bit kernel. Use a stage3 file winh i686 in its name.

With 1G RAM and ambitions to upgrade to >=2G start off with a 64 bit install as there is no 32 bit to 64bit upgrade path.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jsfarinet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for replying. Yep, the samsung has 8 gig of ram, so no problem in that regard. I think i'll try a bit around with an installation on an external hd to get familiar with.

Just another question: Is it reasonable to keep my (old - siduction/aptosid based and built) /home partition, would that integrate harmlessly into a gentoo installation?

PS. Inxi is a cool to get all kind of sys infos. If i remember correctly it comes from aptosid . . . (?)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsfarinet,

You can share /home as long as you use different usernames on your installs.
/home/<user> has lots of user specific application verson specific settings. Its usually a bad idea to try to mix and match settings accross application versions.

Installing on an eSATA drive will just work provided your BIOS can boot from it.
Installing on a USB drive takes a bit more care with your kernel to get it to boot. Its well documented though.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: