View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: [KINDA SOLVED] VolumeUp key is ignored by XFCE Reply with quote

I hit weird problem with XFCE and VolumeUp button on my keyboard. Using keyboard settings editor I've created shortcuts to change audio volume using special keys on my keyboard. The shortcuts execute 'amixer'. Somehow, the VolumeDown and Mute keys work, but VolumeUp key is simply ignored. The strangest thing is, that when I create shortcut, the key is recognized by the settings editor. On the side note, neither xfce4-volumed nor xfce4-mixer react to volume changes, I can see changes only in alsamixer. xev also does not report KeyPress and KeyRelease events for any of multi-media keys.

I suspect, that problem comes from the fact, that my keyboard is represented by 2 input devices. /dev/input/event6 produces events for normal keys and /dev/input/event7 produces events for multi-media keys. evtest reports that EV_KEY events are produced for all keys correctly. Only XFCE (and maybe Xorg) don't process them as I expect.

Any recommendation on how I should configure things in the above setup? Currently I use following section to configure keyboard

Code:

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier                "Real Keyboard"
   Driver                    "evdev"
   MatchProduct              "LITE-ON Technology USB NetVista Full Width Keyboard"
   MatchIsKeyboard           "On"
   Option "XkbModel"         "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout"        "us,de,ru"
   Option "XkbOptions"       "grp:rwin_toggle,ctrl:swapcaps,grp_led:scroll,compose:ralt"
   Option "AutoServerLayout" "on"
   Option "SendCoreEvents"   "on"
EndSection

Since both input devices provide the same "Product", both of them are configured using this section.

Interestingly, there's another input with type VideoBus that also provides multi-media keys for VolumeUp and VolumeDown, for that input VolumeUp also does not work, only VolumeDown is working. Xorg does not apply the above configuration to that input, because it has different Product string. It would be very interesting to see the chain of events how it goes through Xorg, is there any tool for that?

Side note, I've found one more posting in the Net that describes exactly the same problem as mine (VolumeUp does not work with other keys working), unfortunately, there were no answers to that one.

Last edited by v_andal on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've found work around. After removing xfce4-volumed things started to work again. Well, I don't get indicator of volume change, but other than that everything is fine. I guess xfce4-volumed has some bug.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More experiments showed, that the problem is not with xfce4-volumed, but with xfce4-mixer. This application when added to panel captures keys for volume controlling. As result, no other application can capture them anymore, this leads to conflicts with xfce4-volumed. Removing xfce4-mixer from panel solves problems for volumed.

So, one can either have volumed displaying visual feedback, or xcfe4-mixer in panel for slider to adjust volume. Not both at the same time :(

Hm, there's also volumeicon. This offers both things, just need to find out how to start it every time when logging in.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: