Getting 404 attempting to install google-chrome
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Getting 404 attempting to install google-chrome Reply with quote

Tonight I attempted to install google-chrome, and was unable to download.

I went directly there with firefox and got a 404, then started backing up until I was finally able to reach dl.google.com which redirected me to www.google.com/chrome. From there I was able to download a deb package for a browser, but of course it had no correspondence to the package name in portage. I could try renaming the file and recalculate the digest, but it seems to me that there have been some changes at Google that haven't yet been tracked in portage.

Is anyone aware of this, or of a solution?

Basically we're having some poor W.A.F. here with firefox and flash. I suspect it's related to ads containing videos, and it might also be related to the poor flash support from Adobe. So I was going to try google-chrome, which I get the impression has better support. My impression is that chromium uses the same flash plugin.

I know I can try an ad blocker, and may wind up doing that. I also recognize that the web sites I frequent fund themselves on advertisements, and don't with to hurt them, not matter what I think of the ads themselves. However these blasted video ads are just too much. All thins considered, I'd prefer a more tightly-focused ad blocker, just to get rid of the annoying video ads.
Liphtier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Just search the internet for the exact version, like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=google-chrome-stable_38.0.2125.111-1_amd64.deb

There're lots of saved copies around
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: