Another project seeking to pay developers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Another project seeking to pay developers Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have an education project which consists of a Gentoo router (Raspberry Pi) and a Gentoo website.

The system was a product of necessity with my own kids. It makes them perform assignments to earn credits for internet access.

Here is a youtube video overview.

Basically, you have your kid connect to a firewall that doesn't let them out unless they use credits they've earned. They can get to the whitelisted credit-feeder website to perform assignments. The router/credit-meter acts as a single point of motivation so that you can plug any activity into it. In other words you can use it to teach virtually anything, given a carefully designed plugin.

I want to establish a market for open source education software around this system. My vision is 2 communities, subscribers and plugin-developers. Plugin-activity developers (if they existed) would provide value to parents with credit-meters (give them/their kids activities), so if they pay $12/mo (or equivalent currency) then there is money to compensate developers ... but how to divide?

I read the suggestion by steveL in this post. This sounds similar to an idea i had. In case it's different, my idea was to provide an interface to allow each paying subscriber to divide his/her $12 among developers as they choose.

My motivation is that this is the community that I'd like to belong to and participate in ... and it doesn't really exist. And I'd like it to become viable to develop open source education software ... i've still got tons of ideas but cannot justify the time ... unless something like this maybe can change that a bit ... so it's a 0:1 proposition ... Gentoo folks would be great collaborators since both parts of the system are Gentoo underneath.

Here's one parting question: What credible open source entity could host the web-side of this project, being that it's Gentoo and needs to run Django? I've got it setup on my own personal Gentoo server from HostVirtual until i can find a better home for it.

Thanks!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another project seeking to pay developers Reply with quote

ccosse wrote:
The system was a product of necessity with my own kids. It makes them perform assignments to earn credits for internet access.
Basically, you have your kid connect to a firewall that doesn't let them out unless they use credits they've earned. They can get to the whitelisted credit-feeder website to perform assignments. The router/credit-meter acts as a single point of motivation so that you can plug any activity into it. In other words you can use it to teach virtually anything, given a carefully designed plugin.

Heh sounds fun; I had to chuckle at "Besides, don't you just want to hear kids begging for more math problems?"
Quote:
I want to establish a market for open source education software around this system. My vision is 2 communities, subscribers and plugin-developers. Plugin-activity developers (if they existed) would provide value to parents with credit-meters (give them/their kids activities), so if they pay $12/mo (or equivalent currency) then there is money to compensate developers ... but how to divide?

I read the suggestion by steveL in this post. This sounds similar to an idea i had. In case it's different, my idea was to provide an interface to allow each paying subscriber to divide his/her $12 among developers as they choose.

IDK, $12 per month sounds quite a lot; I'd figure that (or perhaps 20 given its dollars) as an annual sub.
Quote:
My motivation is that this is the community that I'd like to belong to and participate in ... and it doesn't really exist. And I'd like it to become viable to develop open source education software ... i've still got tons of ideas but cannot justify the time ... unless something like this maybe can change that a bit ... so it's a 0:1 proposition ... Gentoo folks would be great collaborators since both parts of the system are Gentoo underneath.

Yeah it sounds fair enough, though I think it's likely easier just to have a collective, and to channel some funds to Gentoo as well, as part of the setup. Otherwise you're playing popularity-contest, and while you could do that in terms of what software people use, it's the underlying stuff and especially the support and QA, which really needs funding (and are usually harder to retain people for, esp infra.)
Quote:
Here's one parting question: What credible open source entity could host the web-side of this project, being that it's Gentoo and needs to run Django? I've got it setup on my own personal Gentoo server from HostVirtual until i can find a better home for it.

Well we have a VPS with Patrick at gentooexperimental.org -- quite a few Gentoo people use his network, as well as his tinderbox for recovery purposes, so you might want to ask him. (patrick at gentoo iirc, though he's normally online in #gentoo-chat IRC: chat.freenode.net, as bonsaikitten or xiamiao.) I'd definitely recommend his setup, if he's got time to deal with you.

edit:
Code:
<xiaomiao> igli: right now I have no spare capacity
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Heh sounds fun; I had to chuckle at "Besides, don't you just want to hear kids begging for more math problems?"

Yes, a humor-filled marketing campaign would be too easy. I had to hold back so as not to sound like a used-software salesman.

steveL wrote:
IDK, $12 per month sounds quite a lot; I'd figure that (or perhaps 20 given its dollars) as an annual sub.

Could be ... I would have paid that 10 years ago, though. I hope that the whole context can justify a higher subscription rate. "Cost of a 1-month subscription: $12. Cost of a Raspberry Pi, $40. The sound of your kids begging for another physics problem: Priceless"

steveL wrote:
Otherwise you're playing popularity-contest, and while you could do that in terms of what software people use, it's the underlying stuff and especially the support and QA, which really needs funding (and are usually harder to retain people for, esp infra.)

Well there are actually 4 communities that would need to exist for this (ugh!): 1) parent-subscribers 2) plugin developers 3) credit-feeder-side infrastructure 4) credit-meter-side infrastructure. I was only thinking of the $12 going from (1) -> (2). And for that I think it actually solves the "popularity contest" problem, as then it becomes entirely a private decision made by subscriber who to put their money towards, while creating some healthy competition between plugin developers.

For the groups (3) and (4) I don't know where that money would come from. I've got a couple ideas that would bring money, but I would not want to introduce any element that could taint the project. There would be beaucoup d'opportunities for corporate sponsorship of plugins, with recognition in a credit panel, etc if that could fly with a community, idk. I've regarded that cycle as separate from the education software side. For me it would be ideal if this could be answered along the way by future members of (3 and 4).

Quote:
<xiaomiao> igli: right now I have no spare capacity

Okay, thank you. So that remains a question for me.

Edits:
Just want to add: steveL, thank you for taking time to respond!
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting an update that there is a new 600 word Brief Overview document available, as well as updated webpage with screenshots of various project parts.
http://www.asymptopia.org/media/project_files/AutoTeachBriefOverview.pdf
http://www.asymptopia.org/AutoTeach

If any of this is intriguing then please get in touch, tell a friend or just share the link.

I can provide a few complimentary pre-imaged SD cards with the Gentoo router portion that runs on the Raspberry-Pi, as well as open-up the Credit-Feeder (online Gentoo system) website to some interested folks, or pioneering parents, for evaluation.

This project can promote Gentoo, Linux as a whole, teach kids and create jobs for developers to create open source software to teach kids.

Please have a look!

Charles
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: