[Solved] wpa_supplicant can't seem to find my WiFi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silmano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: [Solved] wpa_supplicant can't seem to find my WiFi Reply with quote

I've configured my laptop with wpa_supplicant + dhcpcd and I'm having a weird issue. The WiFi driver seems to load and scan for my WiFi, but it doesn't seem able to find it (despite being near the AP).

If I check wpa_cli, I can see the SCAN process and the scan_results show several networks, but it doesn't seem to be able to find my SSID.
Code:
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
> scan_results
bssid / frequency / signal level / flags / ssid
88:03:55:c0:5e:0f       2442    -62     [WPA-PSK-CCMP+TKIP][WPA2-PSK-CCMP+TKIP-preauth][ESS]    Orange-5E0D
8c:0c:a3:2b:8c:98       2437    -67     [WPA-PSK-CCMP+TKIP][ESS]        WLAN_8C98

This is wpa_supplicant my configuration:
Code:
-> # cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
ap_scan=1
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="My Wifi SSID"
        psk=passphrase generated by wpa_passphrase
        proto=WPA2
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        group=CCMP TKIP
        pairwise=CCMP TKIP
        priority=1
}

My AP is configured as WPA2-PSK with AES+TKIP. It's configured not to broadcast its SSID, but I've tried also enabling the broadcast without luck.

Any suggestion on what to change to be able to connect or at least be able to scan my wifi?

Last edited by Silmano on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use wpa_gui for easier connecting. It needs qt4 USE flag but usage is almost self explanatory.
Silmano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
You could use wpa_gui for easier connecting. It needs qt4 USE flag but usage is almost self explanatory.

That doesn't solve anything. I'm still having the same issue, the laptop is able to find all my neighbors networks but it is unable to see my home AP.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had problems with hidden SSID. Please try again with SSID not hidden.
Could you check your AP's ui for channel conflict with neighbors' networks or maybe select another channel?
Silmano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
I've always had problems with hidden SSID. Please try again with SSID not hidden.
Could you check your AP's ui for channel conflict with neighbors' networks or maybe select another channel?

I've already tried enabling the broadcast (that disables the hidden SSID), but it doesn't seem to find it.

I must say that the wifi works with all my other devices (mobile & tablet) and also it works in the same Laptop running Windows 7 (I have dual boot installed).
Silmano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the issue, it seems to be kernel related. I was trying using kernel 3.16.5 and I wasn't able to connect. I've fallback to kernel 3.12.21 and without touching the wpa_supplicant configuration, it now worked.

I suppose the driver might have change from version 3.12 to 3.16 and now it doesn't work correctly on my laptop.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: