View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavel_prochazka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Security during emerge --sync Reply with quote

Hi there,
Just a short question about protection of mirrors. I mean when I provide

Code:

emerge --sync

I check carefully where the sync server is located. For example I cancel the synchronization process, when the server is situated in Ukraine (especially the eastern part). My question is if I'm paranoid that somebody can insert some a harmful software into a particular mirror such that it will be scheduled to merge after synchronization (I have no background in the network security - I'm just an inferior Gentoo user 8) ).

Pavel
apathetic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Security during emerge --sync Reply with quote

pavel_prochazka wrote:
Hi there,
Just a short question about protection of mirrors. I mean when I provide

Code:

emerge --sync

I check carefully where the sync server is located. For example I cancel the synchronization process, when the server is situated in Ukraine (especially the eastern part). My question is if I'm paranoid that somebody can insert some a harmful software into a particular mirror such that it will be scheduled to merge after synchronization (I have no background in the network security - I'm just an inferior Gentoo user 8) ).

Pavel

Actually, this is quite possible.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Security during emerge --sync Reply with quote

apathetic wrote:

Actually, this is quite possible.

What an apathetic reply. :mrgreen:

Otherwise, check the handbook on how to fetch a validated, signed tree. Just keep in mind you can't rsync modified parts only, you have to download the entire, signed tarball which is done automatically:

https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=3#webrsync-gpg

Also, each port is using hashes to check the patches and binaries it downloads, so that's an additional level of protection (since those hashes are "validated" in the context of downloading a validated portage tarball). That said, of course nothing is absolute in security and "stuff" can happen, but that is not specific to gentoo.
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said that before: never use rsync to update your tree. It's so inherently insecure that it's embarrassing that we still provide it. Manifest signing is still not enforced and inconsistent. Eclasses are NOT signed whatsoever and would be my first target.

Only use the signed tarballs.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that... was a very needed wakeup call. Thank you.

I'll be doing that next time I sync, even though I'm using half a dozen overlays that are objectively worse... Hopefully Paludis has enough of this built in to make it easy, but if it doesn't I'll *make* it work.
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paludis can handle overlays internally, however you can still use emerge-webrsync and layman to update stuff. If you use layman, you have to create the repository conf files yourself ofc.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

I'll be doing that next time I sync, even though I'm using half a dozen overlays that are objectively worse... Hopefully Paludis has enough of this built in to make it easy, but if it doesn't I'll *make* it work.

There are tar syncers, though non which supports deltas afair, however, I'm positive your are capable of wrapping emerge-delta-webrsync in a custom paludis syncer should you wish.
user
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way:
Is there any hope that we will see a daily signed portage squashfs xz-compressed file again?
Last portage sqfs dated from mar 2014.

squashfs can directly mounted as /usr/portage without the need of extracting tar archives.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

indeed !

seems like the only overlay, which I use, that solely relies on rsync is zugaina

will probably have to remove it for security reasons, then ... & add stuff from it manually ...

thanks hasufell :!:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Security during emerge --sync Reply with quote

GrueXYZ wrote:

Otherwise, check the handbook on how to fetch a validated, signed tree. Just keep in mind you can't rsync modified parts only, you have to download the entire, signed tarball which is done automatically:

https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=3#webrsync-gpg

Also, each port is using hashes to check the patches and binaries it downloads, so that's an additional level of protection (since those hashes are "validated" in the context of downloading a validated portage tarball). That said, of course nothing is absolute in security and "stuff" can happen, but that is not specific to gentoo.

I have to confess, this issue actually never even occurred to me before. I suppose it should have. I'm switching to that method for sure.

Question: I usually sync the system I'm on now from the outside and sync my other Gentoo systems from this one. I assume I can just continue to use rsync when doing the latter correct?

Tom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Security during emerge --sync Reply with quote

tld wrote:
I assume I can just continue to use rsync when doing the latter correct?

Correct, one machine can download signed tarballs and unpack them, the others can rsync unpacked tree from it.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why someone sync to random server to endup breaking it if the rsync server is from Ukraine or other.
Just sync with server you want, define them in your make.conf
It's just from a security point of view, stupid, but if you can rsync without jumping on your keyboard everytime you fall on a "bad" server country hosting, it will saved your keyboard.
If you assume Ukrainian country have more hackers, you still cannot assume Ukrainian servers are the best to hack to propagate virus or something, the best would be the more secure server, as the more secure are the more trust and the more used, and any flow in it should affect a greater number of users.
Just like assuming Ukrainian have more capable devs, so more potential hackers base, you should then assume Ukrainian servers are the best secure as they have a greater competent server admin base too.
When it comes to security, assuming anything is stupid and the best way to fall into what you were trying to avoid :)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thought: if someone put together a MITM proof-of-concept and gave the media snowball a little push, maybe it'd cause enough embarrassment to finally get us out of CVS hell.

I'm sure there's a few Arch users looking for payback after all the times their package manager got laughed at for doing the same thing ;)
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this set up and used it the other day. Everything worked fine. The instructions around this leave a little to be desired, for example (as I've seen in other posts on the forum), the key server subkeys.pgp.net in the instructions does NOT work for receiving the 0xDB6B8C1F96D8BF6D key, though keys.gnupg.net does. That really had me going.
hasufell wrote:
It's so inherently insecure that it's embarrassing that we still provide it.

Well, as I mentioned above, it still makes sense for syncing from one machine to another on a LAN for example...but using it by default isn't too good.

Tom
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
the key server subkeys.pgp.net in the instructions does NOT work for receiving the 0xDB6B8C1F96D8BF6D key
Huh, it worked for me when I did it last week.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it doesn't work today for me either. So what are the trusted alternatives, I don't really do PGP so I'm not in the loop.

http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Good_bye_subkeys_pgp_net__welcome_pool_sks_keyservers_net.html

Found that post. Any thoughts about that pool from more security-savvy folks? Why doesn't Gentoo store such keys on its own infra?
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I had malware (a suid binary that provided local root exploit) on my system, it was part of the official ebuild in the tree, signed and sealed. Not Gentoo's fault since the exploit was part of some fancy GUI software that had the best of intentions... but this kind of thing is to be expected. Gentoo users want the latest software in the tree yesterday, and no one is getting paid for doing code reviews.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrueXYZ wrote:
Why doesn't Gentoo store such keys on its own infra?

That's a bloody good question. It should be available at documented, fixed http and https addresses, as well as ftp.

I can't see any reason why a pubkey can't be in the portage rsync either, personally (though I'm sure someone will tell me of some..;)
Note that I don't mean for updates, but for verification.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to fetch the key once, ctrl C it then fetch it again and it worked, i donno why
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrueXYZ wrote:
Yeah it doesn't work today for me either. So what are the trusted alternatives, I don't really do PGP so I'm not in the loop.

http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Good_bye_subkeys_pgp_net__welcome_pool_sks_keyservers_net.html

Found that post. Any thoughts about that pool from more security-savvy folks? Why doesn't Gentoo store such keys on its own infra?

like here https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/ ?
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user wrote:
By the way:
Is there any hope that we will see a daily signed portage squashfs xz-compressed file again?
Last portage sqfs dated from mar 2014.

squashfs can directly mounted as /usr/portage without the need of extracting tar archives.

A Gentoo official torrent of such a portage squashfs file?
Why not? Isn't torrent a secured method of sharing?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
like here https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/ ?

Heh yeah that's an essential page; though I don't see why a pubkey itself can't be downloadable over https from a gentoo site (as well as in keyservers.)
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed something regarding emerge-webrsync that I hadn't noticed...something to be aware of:

Using "emerge --sync" has always warned me when there was a new version of portage available...recommending to update that first. It appears the same isn't true with emerge-webrsync. I just ran that and got no such warning, and happened to notice this when I went to update:

Code:
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/portage-2.2.14 [2.2.8-r2] USE="(ipc) -build -doc -epydoc (-selinux) -xattr (-pypy2_0%) (-python2%) (-python3%)" LINGUAS="-ru" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-pypy) -python3_4 (-pypy2_0%) (-python2_6%) (-python3_2%)" 876 kB

Maybe that warning is only for more major version updates(??), but I didn't think so.

Tom
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update portage first? I haven't done that in a long time... if it was so important, portage should do this by itself, on a world update... if it doesn't do it already.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
Update portage first? I haven't done that in a long time... if it was so important, portage should do this by itself, on a world update... if it doesn't do it already.
You're probably right...never much thought about it. I was sort of used to getting a message after "emerge --sync" that said when a new version was available and, as I recall it always said it was "highly recommended" that you update.

Come to think of it however, portage updating itself sounds a little kludged to me, given that it would have to completely restart itself with whatever the original requested emerge command was.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: