Sauerbraten Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Sauerbraten Problems Reply with quote

Hello forum members,

I have been having some strange issues with the FPS game Sauerbraten. First of all, my computer can handle the game easy, I have a AMD six core processor, with 16Gib of ram, and a Nvidia gtx 780ti GPU. One of the problems I am having is, unless I have my music player (Clementine) playing while I am playing the game the jump-shoot (fire at the ground after jumping in order to jump higher/further) gliches the game. The gun will not shoot at the ground and the frame will just jump to another view. If it does happen to work, then the gun just keeps firring until I am out of bullets or I die. I have to exit the game server for it to stop then join again. Another thing that is wrong, music player or not, is that intermittently when I click to fire, nothing happens. I really sucks. I think that Sauer is the only game that this happens in. My steam games all seem to play just fine.
If anyone has an idea how to fix these issues, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks. :D
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First suspect? Which init system do you use?

Any weird CFLAGS / GCC FLAGS? you may post your emerge --info or make.conf here.

did you try any other nvidia-drivers?

The version portage provides is the same version i used to play a few months ago on my 6 years old hardware. on nvidia-binary driver.
i suspect that your card maybe use opengl 4 or something else which causes the issue.

and i would not compare it to steam plattform, thats a different issue.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there's a problem with it not trapping mouse events properly; Sauer's UI has always been a bit iffy. Do you get different results depending on whether it's fullscreen/windowed/maximised windowed? What WM?
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses.

@tw04l124
Quote:
Which init system do you use?
I used the default with the gentoo install. I think what your are asking is whether or not I am using systemd, correct? I didn't install systemd.
I do not know how to check for CFLAGS or GCC FLAGS? Do I run sauerbraten in a terminal with --info? Or do I need to go into a folder that contains the make.conf file? You lost me on this one.
For the Nvidia drivers I am using the 343.22. No I haven't tried any other drivers.
The opengl version installed is virtual/opengl-7.0-r1

@Ant P.
Yes I changed the game to windowed mode lowering the resolution from 2560x1600 to 1970x1200. It helped a little, smoothing out the game play, but it still doesn't register some of the mouse clicks.
I am using KDE
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well try the newest nvidia-dirvers with newest kernel / or try around with different versions.

you may try to run it in a plain x-session with a new user in the game group without anything. kde may screw it up.

as you do not use systemd, you have one error source less to worry about. yes taht was my intention why i asked. (it screw up too much )
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tw04l124
I think that the nvidia driver I am using was just released, according to the nvidia site anyway. There is the Beta version 343.13, if the numbers are anything to go by, is older.
Well I was looking again at what is installed, currently I am trying to upgrade kde and I
Code:
eix nvidia
and it shows this
Code:
[I] media-video/nvidia-settings                                                                                                             
     Available versions:  331.20 {examples}                                                                                                 
     Installed versions:  331.20(10:00:09 AM 09/22/2014)(-examples)                                                                         
     Homepage:            http://www.nvidia.com/                                                                                           
     Description:         NVIDIA Linux X11 Settings Utility                                                                                 

* sys-firmware/nvidia-firmware                                                                                                             
     Available versions:  ~325.15^md ~340.32^md                                                                                             
     Homepage:            http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/                                                           
     Description:         Kernel and mesa firmware for nouveau (video accel and pgraph)                                                     

[D] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers                                                                                                             
     Available versions:  96.43.23^msd 173.14.39^msd 304.123^msd 331.89^msd 334.21-r3^msd 337.25^msd 340.32-r1^msd ~343.13-r1^msd (~)343.22^msd ~343.22-r2^msd {+X acpi custom-cflags gtk multilib pax_kernel (+)tools uvm KERNEL="FreeBSD linux"}                                     
     Installed versions:  343.22-r2^msd(10:49:56 AM 10/06/2014)(X acpi multilib tools -pax_kernel -uvm KERNEL="linux -FreeBSD")             
     Homepage:            http://www.nvidia.com/                                                                                           
     Description:         NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver
(the 343.22-r1 is highlighted in the terminal) which I am concerned about now, I have in my package.use and accept.keyword files telling it to use the newer ~amd64 version, so I don't know what that is about.
I am using the 3.14.14-gentoo kernel. I haven't ventured into installing a different kernel yet. I want to learn, but I am still building up to that yet.
Quote:
a plain x-session
I am not sure what that means? I startx from the terminal every time I boot my kde desktop. So do it just run sauerbraten without logging into my KDE UI?
Thanks
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plain x-session without fancy anything.

on a new user ti should just load one x-terminal and the x-clock and thats it.

if you have a loginmanager try to choose something less bloated.

maybe just try typing for once xdm and see if it just loads plain x-server without too much.
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give it a try and see what it does.
Just to clarify, at the tty, after logging in, type xdm and that should just load the basic shell. Correct?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I just thought about: do you have any cpufreq things enabled? Does your CPU have "C1E" enabled in the BIOS (may show up in dmesg too)? The latter in particular is buggy on some CPU models, and does cause serious problems with interactivity. It sounds like a possibility since you said the music player prevents it; that'd be keeping your CPU out of deep sleep states.
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ant P. I am not sure. How would I check it?

I installed razor-qt and played sauerbraten for about 15 min and I didn't have any of the clicks not reister and it doesn't glitch when I jump shoot. So something is going on in kde that screws up the game.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe something with randr, it was depreciated or something for kde what i read in another topic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: