kernel oops on boot - 3.16.3 [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paziu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: kernel oops on boot - 3.16.3 [solved] Reply with quote

Hi,

This system runs 2.6.39 / 2.6.36 versions without a hiccup. ( NAS box - Intel SS4200-E - dual core E2200 + 1GB RAM )
I decided to test it with a 3.16.3 vanilla, compiled on that system. The same kernel runs fine on two other boxes ( 4th gen i7 and Xeon e3 v2 ), just fine so far.
The NAS box does not have a VGA, I used rs232 - I just have a screenshot with the last ca. 100 lines of printk.

http://www.2puk.com/tempp/kernel_oops1_ss4200_3.16.3.png

dot config:
http://www.2puk.com/tempp/3.16.3.config.txt

I did recompile the sources 6-7 times, before connecting the serial cable hoping to see something at least "more friendly"....
If anybody is familiar with this type of an "oops", or/and has some suggestions, I'd appreciate.

Mike

Last edited by paziu on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a configuration enabled in gentoo-sources which is needed to boot the box.
Also the init system influence it a bit.

So personally i suggest => eudev / openrc / gentoo-sources => reading the eselect news regarding kernel from past year
you need to have some userspace things changed and set and also in kernel. regarding you switch over from 2.6.xx it is no wonder it breaks up.
paziu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response.
I'll do what you are suggesting, although to my knowledge, the only difference for that system is an additional GPIO/LED driver ( included in the vanilla as well ) that I might disable to see if maybe that piece is causing it to slip.
the e3 xeon I mentioned runs a Gentoo release that has been synced last time almost 4 years ago, on the same kernel, without any specific modifications, other than some of the userland utils have been upgraded to make use of the new features.
paziu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removed most not essential to boot stuff from being built-in, the system boots now just fine, without initramfs.
what caused it to panic? I would need to start removing one-by-one... well, if anybody would find a value in doing that, let me know.. otherwise I will continue testing this kernel on that older but still quite powerful NAS box.

thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: