make menuconfig - Processor Family
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: make menuconfig - Processor Family Reply with quote

I have a i7 4770k processor.

After running

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

The options list reads

[quote]
[ ] Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
[ ] Intel P4 / older Netburst based Xeon
[ ] Core 2/newer Xeon
[ ] Intel Atom
[*] Generic-x86-64

Should I change from generic-x86-64 to Core 2/Newer Xeon?
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
sudo USE="experimental" emerge gentoo-sources
and you'll get more options there
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
Code:
sudo USE="experimental" emerge gentoo-sources
and you'll get more options there
There is so much wrong with this advice. First, you assumed he will either have sudo installed or will know how to deal with not having it installed. Since he is trying to build directly in the Linux kernel tree, it is fair to assume he is using a root shell, so he may not use sudo at all. Second, you should never set USE flags on the command line, since they are not persisted. Third, why are you recommending experimental features to someone who wants basic advice on how to use the features offered to him? Experimental features should be reserved to those who either request them or otherwise indicate that they are comfortable dealing with the potential problems that can arise.
my.Gentoo.Asus.Z87-A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by my.Gentoo.Asus.Z87-A on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:55 am; edited 12 times in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity.

Do i need the cpu features enabled in the kernel first?

Is it not enough to have it enabled in /etc/make.conf so they are pulled in by gcc and used?
mgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
Quote:
Yes

I have the same question as the original poster. I am using an i7 quad core, and am getting fail errors in make menuconfig like:

"usr/initramfs_data.S:1:0: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set"

I have tried both generic-x86-64 and Core 2/Newer Xeon settings. The errors vary a bit, but the "CPU you selected..." is there every time.

Maybe I am not getting the settings to "take?" Or perhaps some other setting is goofy. Can someone suggest likely causes?

There is significant n00b-ness going on here...

Thanks in advance
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124, yes, you need it. The make.conf settings do not affect the kernel compilation at all. To start with, the kernel is not compiled by emerge, which is about the only thing that cares about your make.conf file (for the purpose of this thread anyway).

The kernel is not a conventional piece of software anyway, and it for sure won't work ok (if at all) with any crazy CFLAG you throw at it.

mgs, what's the output of "uname -a"? Please, post the output for gcc-config -l and emerge --info as well.
mgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, i92guboj. I will post those outputs as soon as I get back to my (patiently waiting) chroot-ed machine. :mrgreen:
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Third, why are you recommending experimental features to someone who wants basic advice on how to use the features offered to him? Experimental features should be reserved to those who either request them or otherwise indicate that they are comfortable dealing with the potential problems that can arise.

CONFIG_X86_MARCH_NATIVE=y seems pretty problem-free to me. I mean, across 8-9 different machines and multiple years of use. But that's just my personal experience.
mgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:

mgs, what's the output of "uname -a"? Please, post the output for gcc-config -l and emerge --info as well.

Well my chroot-ed machine was not patiently waiting for me--a rare power outage dropped me out of the environment. I dodn't have the time to calmly and methodically go back through the steps right way (n00b), but have now. I went back and double-checked fdisk, and also selected a more vanilla profile (I had selected default hardened the first time as I plan to install one once I have the system up and running).

Anyway, I got back chrooted in and ran genkernel and got the following error:
Code:

kernel/bounds.c:1:0: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
kbuild:35: recipe for target 'kernel/bounds.s' failed
make[1]: *** [kernel/bounds.s] Error 1
MakeFile:944: recipe for target 'prepare0' failed
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

Running wth options: all
Using genkernel.conf from /etc/genkernel.conf
Sourcing arch-specific config.sh from usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/config.sh
Sourcing arch-specific modules_load from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/modules_load…

ERROR: Failed to compile the "prepare" target...

so I ran...

Code:

uname -a
Linux PartedMagic 3.15.9-pmagic64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 12 10:47:41 CDT 2014 Intel ® Core (TM i7-2635QM CPU @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.3 *

emerge --info
Portage 2.2.8-r2 (default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop, gcc-4.7.3, glibc-2.19-r1, 3.15.9-pmagic64 x86_64)
==================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.15.9-pmagic-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-™-_i7-2635QM_CPU_@_2.00GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem: 16323964 total, 15217988 free
KiB Swap:       0 total,        0 free
Timestamp of tree: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:30:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.23.2 pl.0) 2.23.2
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p53
dev-lang/perl:            5.18.2-r2
dev-lang/python:          2.7.7, 3.3.5-r1, 3.4.1
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28-r1
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2
sys-apps/openrc:          0.12.4
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconfig:     2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.13.4
sys-devel/binutils:       2.23..2
sys-devel/gcc:            4.7.3-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.2-r1
sys-devel/make:           4.0-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.13 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.19-r1
Repositories: gentoo
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-02 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-02 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR=/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-02 -march=i686 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-02 -march=i686 -pipe"
GENTOO-MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="w1,-01 -W1,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
USE="X a52 acc acl acpi alsa berkdb bindist bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 readline sdl session spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wxwidgets x264 x86 xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="32"...

Could it be that PartedMagic (the rescue usb I am booted from) is giving me issues with the menuconfig selection routine? I had to type all the above out as the terminal in PartedMagic does not cut-and-paste.

The hardware in question here is a mac mini server. I am trying to do this install on the listed Intel SSD in an external enclosure (the mini is a bit of a pain to crack open).

Thanks...
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, you have booted from a parted cd which has an x86_64 (64 bits) kernel, but you are chrooted into an i686 Gentoo stage, and you can't install a 64 bits Gentoo from there.

You have to download the correct stage (which is the amd64 one, despite of you having an intel i7 cpu, don't let the name of the file fool you). Use that instead and you should be able to compile a 64 bits kernel. Your emerge --info will then show the right architecture all around, also.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in which regards cutting and pasting, if it's pure console you need to do /etc/init.d/gpm start to be able to use the mouse in console, then select and paste with middle button click.

In old X programs middle click should also work.
mgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK. Yes I had some confusion about that. Over time as I occasionally referred through the gentoo stuff I had always thought that the amd64 was the correct flavor for the hw I've been using. It was only my recent reading which caused me to go to the i686.

I will switch, and continue flailing. Thanks a million!
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amd64 is only such for historic reasons: the first x86_64 cpu for regular pc desktop users was from AMD (ia64 is a different incompatible thing).

Just like they often say i686 or i386 to really mean i80368 compatible cpus (it doesn't matter if it's an intel, amd or cyrix cpu or whatever else as long as it can run software compiled for the original i386.

You can use the i686 image, but then you will have to choose a 32 bits architecture and your final installation will have that bit-ness as well. :)
mgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was aware of the history. What threw me off was looking at the mirror sites and not even seeing the amd64 iin some of them. I also thought I had read that recent build conventions had lumped all the 64s into the i686. A significant error on my part, apparently.

Hopefully all will be well when I get back to it with the right stage. I should probably clean house of the old directories before unpacking the new tarball and installing, yes?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgs wrote:
I should probably clean house of the old directories before unpacking the new tarball and installing, yes?

No, keep them, get mad and post on forum to get people crazy at finding this :)
mgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks. I was just about to come back to express thanks for so quickly spotting such an obvious rookie mistake, and also to add--for (m)any who may have been thinking it:

Duh. :mrgreen:
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, clean your system before. Proceeding with a new install. You will need to start from scratch, but it for sure will be easier this time ;)

Don't worry about mistaking in the way. It's what Gentoo is all about. People in mainstream distros never go wrong, they have people above them which do that for them. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: