Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]kde-4.11.0 dropping semantic-desktop USE flag? wtf?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]kde-4.11.0 dropping semantic-desktop USE flag? wtf? Reply with quote

Not that I'm complaining, but even though I reluctantly had to enable USE="semantic-desktop" globally in make.conf long ago in order to make kde work (and still have it enabled), I'm very surprised and confused. :?

When I did my usual emerge -upD @world which installed kde-4.11.0 today, I noticed that kdelibs, kactivities, kdepimlibs, kget, gwenview, plasma-workspace, systemsetting, dolphin, and kdebase-runtime-meta now have added a new (-semantic-desktop%*) yellow USE flag. (I only have 154 kde packages on this particular install- no kmail/kdepim stuff, if that would matter).

As far as I'm concerned this is good news (I've never been a big semantic-desktop fan), but I'm wondering if something has gone wrong, and I've messed up my config files somehow during the gnome/systemd removal fiasco nightmare I just finished on 5 different Gentoo installs, or that the kde and/or the Gentoo devs have dropped the semantic-desktop USE flag, or something else.

Anyone else seeing this, or know what's going on?
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11

Last edited by wrc1944 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK- found this on the dilfridge blog:

Quote:
Last week we had our monthly Gentoo KDE team meeting; here are few details that are probably worth sharing.

So far we've provided the useflag "semantic-desktop" which in particular controls the nepomuk functionality. Some components of KDE require this functionality unconditionally, and if you try to build without it, bugs and build failures may occur. In addition, by now it is easily and reliably possible to disable e.g. the file indexer at runtime. So, we've decided that starting with KDE 4.11 we will remove the useflag and hard-enable the functionality and the required dependencies in the ebuilds. The changes are being done already in the KDE overlay in the live ebuilds (which build upstream git master and form the templates for the upcoming 4.11 releases).

http://dilfridge.blogspot.de/2013/05/news-from-201305-gentoo-kde-team-meeting.html

That explains that! :D
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
Logomachist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Was the "semantic-desktop" flag dropped? Reply with quote

So in the final analysis was the "semantic-desktop" flag ever dropped? I just installed KDE and I needed to use "-semantic-desktop" flag to get it to compile and I'm wondering whether I'm missing out on any functionality.
kensington
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Was the "semantic-desktop" flag dropped? Reply with quote

Logomachist wrote:
So in the final analysis was the "semantic-desktop" flag ever dropped? I just installed KDE and I needed to use "-semantic-desktop" flag to get it to compile and I'm wondering whether I'm missing out on any functionality.

It was dropped, then restored on the subset of packages where upstream still supports it as an optional dependency. What compile error did you get with it enabled? That's a bug and needs fixing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: