View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: bluefish-2.2.2 and 2.2.3 lost main menu icons Reply with quote

Hi All,

Launching bluefish from terminal I found a lot of errors printed, while the main menu has no icons. This makes using the application somewhat difficult.
Code:
$ bluefish
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

(bluefish:27529): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion 'G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'window-close' for stock: Failed to load icon

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-CRITICAL **: render_fallback_image: assertion 'pixbuf != NULL' failed

(bluefish:27529): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(bluefish:27529): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_cairo_surface_create_from_pixbuf: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(bluefish:27529): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(bluefish:27529): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion 'G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'window-close' for stock: Failed to load icon

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-CRITICAL **: render_fallback_image: assertion 'pixbuf != NULL' failed

(bluefish:27529): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(bluefish:27529): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_cairo_surface_create_from_pixbuf: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(bluefish:27529): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'edit-find' for stock: Failed to load icon

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'edit-find' for stock: Failed to load icon

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'document-new' for stock: Failed to load icon

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'document-new' for stock: Failed to load icon

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'document-open' for stock: Failed to load icon

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'document-open' for stock: Failed to load icon

(bluefish:27529): Gtk-CRITICAL **: render_fallback_

I've remerged some random packages in hope of fixing this, but I seem to be missing something essential, probably gnome related (this is a USE="kde qt -gnome -gtk" machine. Other gtk applications do not have the same problem. Can you please advise how to troubleshoot this problem?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'document-open' for stock: Failed to

My personal opinion: You need some sort of gtk library and therefore the gtk useflag or live with no icons.
Or you check where the icons are referenced and provide them there. You may lack a source of icons for this software...

Installing gtk useflags will pull in lots of stuff which may resolve it to your likeing

maybe
Quote:
[I] x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf
Available versions: (2) 2.30.7 2.30.7-r1 2.30.8
{+X debug +introspection jpeg jpeg2k test tiff ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32"}
Installed versions: 2.30.8(2)(16:45:30 30.09.2014)(X introspection jpeg jpeg2k tiff -debug -test ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="64 -32 -x32")
Homepage: http://www.gtk.org/
Description: Image loading library for GTK+

maybe

Quote:
[I] x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme
Available versions: [M]3.6.2^bs 3.10.0^bs 3.12.0^bs {branding}
Installed versions: 3.12.0^bs(20:31:22 10.06.2014)(-branding)
Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/ http://people.freedesktop.org/~jimmac/icons/#git
Description: GNOME default icon theme
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tw04l124,

I have remerged x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.30.8, but noticed that x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme is not installed at all. I don't think I ever had it installed on this machine, because I can't find it in emerge.log. In any case, bluefish had not had this problem with menu icons before, nor do any other gtk based applications, despite the -gtk USE flag.

Something that confused me further:

I forwarded an X11 session to my laptop over ssh and started bluefish. I was surprised to see that on my laptop the remote bluefish application window launched with all menu icons! How does this work? :-/
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make a new user and log in on that user and see if it is fixed
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.

I tried launching bluefish with a different user account (which I very rarely use on this machine) and the same problem occurred. No main menu icons, just grey blocks which turn into blue when I hover over them.

How can a local X session show no icons, but a forwarded X session to another machine work fine?
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New box, new KDE install, new user profiles - same problem. Bluefish won't display any main menu icons, but when hovering over each blank icon the corresponding tool-tip text pops up.

Interestingly on this box, when using a different desktop e.g. e17 the menu icons show up as expected. Is there somewhere in KDE where I need to specify what theme/icons gtk applications should use?

BTW, I noticed this thread with the same errors coming up on a terminal, albeit a different gtk application.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your problem is likely the same as in the thread you've mentioned and so is the solution.
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme and the missing menu icons problem is gone. Shouldn't this be a dependency on bluefish, or configured to use hicolor-icon-theme?

PS. I thought that it was once upon a time built to do so.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: