The microphone does not work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superfox_il_Volpone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: The microphone does not work Reply with quote

Dear Gentoo community,
the microphone of my desktop computer is mute, while it works correctly on Windows.
I have a desktop pc with two sound cards, a built-in and a Xonar (Asus Essence STX). I can see both the sound cards through alsamixer, and the audio playback works fine, being also able to configure it. However I am puzzled how to properly set the microphone. Trying to switch the input jacks & raising the volumes through alsamixer for both the sound cards did not work, as well using the Sound view from the Settings panel of Gnome.
I still do not understand which sound card should be used for the microphone. This is connected to the front panel, and not to the line-in of Xonar sound card. Is it possible that built-in sound card should be set for the recording and the xonar for the playback? If so, how to properly set this configuration?

Few configuration info:

Any idea how to proceed?

Thanks,
Dean
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible that built-in sound card should be set for the recording and the xonar for the playback? If so, how to properly set this configuration?

I think the following is what you need for recording
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xfeb00000 irq 16
the HDMI one is obviously HDMI audio output, I'm not sure about the third one, but it's not your microphone.
Since your microphone is working Windows, I would check which device you use on Windows as microphone, just to be sure. Not sure how to do this though, It's been years since I used Windows, thought I'm sure there is some documentation on checking sound cars in windows.
I've never heard of xonar cards, I would check if it is supported by alsa, I didn't find it in the list, but maybe I missed it: https://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/421-Alsa-sound#ss3.3
I hope this is helpful
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: