System won't boot after install.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatrandomcanadianguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: System won't boot after install. Reply with quote

I've followed the instructions in the Gentoo Handbook and got to the stage where I reboot. However, once I select my system with Grub2, it just shows: loading *kernel*
loading *initialramdisk*

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Edit: I use the file system layout described in the handbook with one key exception because I have a BIOS system: I don't have a EFI partition.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice is to use IRC: chat.freenode.net and /join #gentoo for live support from some very knowledgeable people.

First thing that comes to mind: make sure you have the modules required to access your hard-drive (FS, scsi, mobo controller) built-in to the kernel (ie Y, not M). I usually build in the main ethernet card as well so it always come up as eth0 (not that I have more than one anyhow. I just prefer having net whenever I reboot, irrespective of how.)

Mobo controllers tend to be the one, ime; but you only need the one chipset. lspci -k from live-disk will tell you what it's using.

People often forget scsi, but practically everything goes through that layer nowadays.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post a little more information about the procedure that you used to install? Did you use genkernel or compile your own? Are you seeing a kernel panic, or does it just hang? You should be able to boot a live CD and get back into your environment by chrooting following these instructions:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Recovering_from_a_kernel_boot_failure

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you ran into a similar issue that I did. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-999950-highlight-.html I had to use a different hard drive that used the mbr formated hard drive because I didn't now how to make the gpt formated hd to work.
thatrandomcanadianguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary wrote:
Can you please post a little more information about the procedure that you used to install? Did you use genkernel or compile your own? Are you seeing a kernel panic, or does it just hang? You should be able to boot a live CD and get back into your environment by chrooting following these instructions:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Recovering_from_a_kernel_boot_failure

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary

I compiled my own kernel. The system hangs, and I tried chrooting back in from the live cd to recompile the kernel. It still didn't work.
thatrandomcanadianguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tefrem34 wrote:
It looks like you ran into a similar issue that I did. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-999950-highlight-.html I had to use a different hard drive that used the mbr formated hard drive because I didn't now how to make the gpt formated hd to work.

I use a MBR-style hard drive, because I wasn't sure if my system could support GPT.
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try first installing it with Genkernel.
I also ran into the same problem where my kernel will not load.
I reinstalled Gentoo with Genkernel and it at least got my system booted.
After about 1 month, I switched over to a manually configured kernel.

I guess what I trying to say is that you should
try Genkernel if the manual kernel is not working out, get to know the system,
then attempt to use a manual kernel. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: