Chromium vs Firefox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Chromium vs Firefox Reply with quote

I've been wondering what you guys use, and why?

I would like to hear your opinion, I am considering to change my omni browser its been a while. Chromium is acting weird recently in my machine, and I've been wondering if Firefox is expected to be more robust (it seems to be here). The problem is that I like syncing all my options across all my devices (Android tablets and phones and 2 laptops).

Well, disregard the title of the thread. If you use other browser your comment would also be appreciated.
Woofie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have been using firefox for several years with no problem.
FF allow you to sync through devices as well.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both. Chromium has a nicer feel for me, although I can't quantify why. It has been rather crashy lately and I'm not sure if the problem is in the kernel or browser. I just kind of live with it.

Firefox is, and always has been, rock solid. Note sure why, but it always feels like a truck to me. Gets the job done, but it just isn't any fun.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above, Firefox has that stale Netscape feel to it but just works, and Chromium has decent performance (especially on things Firefox chokes on like GL and audio), but is very brittle.

Usually I stick with one or the other and switch them on both my machines when I can't get an update to successfully compile. That policy had me using Chromium for 2-3 years but I've gone back to Firefox.

Konqueror is pretty nice too, as long as you avoid overly flashy sites. It's a shame it's been more or less abandoned years ago.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I primarily use Firefox; but I also have Chromium installed, for the few sites that won't convert away from flash.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Konqueror is pretty nice too, as long as you avoid overly flashy sites. It's a shame it's been more or less abandoned years ago.

Yes, that's a big Too Bad. In the midst of trying to make KDE all flashy, I wish they would spend at least a little time in bringing Konqueror more up to date in being able to deal with JQuery, which seems to be intent on degrading the Konqueror experience. I would rather use Konqueror instead of either Firefox or Chromium for sites dealing with sensitive information: the plugin capability of Firefox adds to the attack surface, and the fact that Chromium is from Google makes me a bit leery of what it might happen to phone home.

Konqueror, at least, has a native ad-blocking feature.

I end up using all three regularly, plus others also.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome has a more upto date Flash BUT no java
Firefox has java capability but not an upto date flash (besides security fixes)

take your poison
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google NExus 4 <-> Google Chrome <-> Added benefit + memory hole since years of chrome, just kill the process and start again after some hours of use

firefox <- outdated, laggy, weird ui, i just use it for work when i need a clean browser without anything, passwords are stored in firefox but is it useable, no,

chrome wins in any aspect except that i do not want the suggestions when i work and private life, and therefore when i do my work in firefox are separated and will never pop up on my smartphone. i do not need suggestions for work in my private life. thats it.

i silenty switched over to chrome 3-4 years ago, and since i use my smartphone thats over a year i see firefox as something ancient. no bonus, startup takes ages, i just do not like it.

chrome works, it is not the best but it does it jobs quite well
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Firefox because I LIKE the outdated Netscape look. I use addons to keep as much of that look as possible. I tried Chrome but it was too spartan for me as was Opera.

YMMV.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Yeah, I always preferred Opera over Firefox, but then Chrome came and I switched to Chrome. But now Opera seems weird to me, whereas Firefox seems more intuitive... go figure out...
Ive heard horrible things about security for Chrome, and awesome for Firefox. Is that correct?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the most secure browser is, is hard to say. Those critters do an insane amount of tasks nowadays, so it all comes down to what exact subset of functionality we consider, which in turn comes down to what web sites do you use.

I see the Mozilla Foundation as the most transparent of them all, though when it comes to this kind of perfection there's always a subjective component, I guess. In any case, that only means that we know about the vulnerabilities as soon as they are confirmed. How long does it take to get them fixed and upstreamed depends on the concrete case.

ps: one thing I like a lot about chrome is the way the code inspector works, for some reason I much prefer it over the firefox one, even though it sometimes consumes an insane amount of cpu cycles, they should really fix that.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick with firefox. Tried Chromium few times, but could never master it enough to just work smoothly. These constant little problems here and there get in the way. Plus I hate when it closes with last tab closed :)

Though, I slowly get the feeling, that all web-browsers become monsters. OS in OS. It is not so bad on Linux (maybe), but on Windows less knowledgeable people catch all kinds of junk via browsing web.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They kind of started being an OS inside an OS years ago, the day people decided that the web is not only a place to store and share info, but also a place where live programs can be run remotely.

People don't care about security as much as they care about being able to shot 3d critters inside a browser window, or as much as they care about drag and drop... you know, that kind of stuff.

Your web browser process memory can easily reach 1gb these days for normal usage with 4-5 tabs. People who do online gaming and who need more tabs open can easily use much more than that. It's by far the heaviest thing the average Joe runs on a typical pc, and the place where most people spend most of their time in front of a computer.

So, when it comes to security, you really have to take some compromise. No indie web browser that has been developed from scratch can keep up by itself with the huge amount of code audition that it would need to be kept reasonably secure, so you have to rely on the big monstrosities that well known engines are (that's gecko and webkit nowadays), and then you are tied to either company or foundation and you have to just trust them.

The times when a small team could build a browser from scratch are far gone.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
Ive heard horrible things about security for Chrome, and awesome for Firefox. Is that correct?

Quite the opposite: Chrome extensions are sandboxed and isolated from each other, and it runs a fully namespaced isolated container with seccomp for each website's tabs as well as a separate one for GPU rendering. Firefox seems to rely on weird development culture practices and doesn't have much in the way of software security measures. They still don't have crash-safe tabs in a stable release.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Quite the opposite: Chrome extensions are sandboxed and isolated from each other, and it runs a fully namespaced isolated container with seccomp for each website's tabs as well as a separate one for GPU rendering. Firefox seems to rely on weird development culture practices and doesn't have much in the way of software security measures. They still don't have crash-safe tabs in a stable release.

Actually more in the passwords storage sense. Apparently Chrome doesn't have a very safe password storage feature. I wouldn't care much, I store exactly 0 passwords in my browser.
What annoys me in Chrome the most (by far) are the bugs. It crashes without a reason sometimes and currently, after minimizing/iconifying a window, bringing it back returns a white rectangle which can be resized and moved around, but won't display anything otherwise.

Also, I've heard some complaint associating "Chrome" with "botnet". I'm not sure how to start this conversation, as I am not sure exactly what those people mean with this.

i92guboj wrote:
They kind of started being an OS inside an OS years ago, the day people decided that the web is not only a place to store and share info, but also a place where live programs can be run remotely.

This doesn't bother me all that much in fact. I have to live with other operational system sometimes: give me a Windows computer and I cannot do much more than double clicking an icon on the desktop. Getting used to some applications web apps such as the editing tools in Google Drive make it easier than learning a crazy word editing interface every year for every single computer I use.

I wish there was a webapp which could behave at least a little like Kate & does not store your (potentially private) files somewhere for "statistics purpose". But that sounds as a crazy dream at the moment.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
Actually more in the passwords storage sense. Apparently Chrome doesn't have a very safe password storage feature. I wouldn't care much, I store exactly 0 passwords in my browser.

Oh, that's a fair point.

Chrome integrates with the GNOME/KDE password storage systems if it finds them running, but it silently falls back on some internal thing if not. I don't think the latter is encrypted.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

I got used to Opera when it still had advertisements in it, which would disappear with some sort of a registration code, but there was some Firefox in-between.

Usually Opera just felt more comfy somehow, but since its development (the Linux version) has stopped for now I believe, and is going towards Google (Windows version already has done that, I think?), I'm looking into alternatives. I wonder a bit if they also got rid of the configuration options, heh.

Increasingly often I need to use Firefox to render some pages that Opera has difficulties with, which I'm guessing is because of the non-developing aspects of it, and pages being written for Google.

The main issue for me with Chromium is probably the lack of configuration (without add-ons). Even having the option of not closing the browser when closing the final tab is too much (every time I do that it infuriates me to great lengths for some reason... something I guess I would get used to not do, if I wanted to).

There is Otter, that aims to create an Opera-like experience, but is quite a new project, and pretty unstable last I tried.

I've had QupZilla going for a while now, which has been pretty stable, and does have quite a bit of potential, but is also going towards Chromium in parts (I forget how much, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the menu icon becoming that icon with three lines, a hamburger I've seen it called somewhere... I don't get it, but I guess I don't need to, nor do I want to, but it's spreading like the certain kind of web-design is these days, which also makes me very annoyed; it might be fine for tablets and mini-PCs (smartypantsphones), but urgh! (Apologies for the mini-rant. ^^)).

In the case of a Firefox VS Chromium, the winner for me is Firefox fer sure. I feel that it's becoming more and more Chromium-like as well though, but I'm not using it full-time so I can't really say too much. There is that menu icon again... and the new looks of it all in all are horrible in my opinion, but I guess that could be tweaked with themes, maybe?

I guess I'm overall quite displeased with the 'main' browsers out there. Hopefully I will find something comfy again at some point. Perhaps it is QupZilla, perhaps it is not.

Meh!
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

You might like rekonq, a variant of konqueror. It's UI is good, though I find it can lock up on some sites, and I suspect it's got some threading issues.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: