System Rescue CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosetta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: System Rescue CD Reply with quote

i have used is "install-amd64-minimal-20110217.iso". I can not find a System Rescue CD which match to it. Any suggestion?

/Rosetta
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly are you asking?
just boot off the install CD.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you boot the system rescue cd you will see a menu that lists both 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit (amd64/x86_64) choices, choose one of the 64 bit (amd64/x86_64) choices to match the "install-amd64-minimal-20110217.iso".
Rosetta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
when you boot the system rescue cd you will see a menu that lists both 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit (amd64/x86_64) choices, choose one of the 64 bit (amd64/x86_64) choices to match the "install-amd64-minimal-20110217.iso".

And why should i use the system rescue cd. Is it another way to install the Gentoo Linux on the hardware?
Rosetta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rosetta"]
DONAHUE wrote:

And why should i use the system rescue cd. Is it another way to install the Gentoo Linux on the hardware?
Because i used the "install-amd64-minimal-20110217.iso" (Live CD) to install the Gentoo Linux on the hardware. But after the last step in the Gentoo handbook when i rebooted the PC i could only see a "grub>" prompt. And somebody at this forum advised me to use the system rescue cd. But i could not understand why and how i would use the system rescue cd. Does it completet the installation of "install-amd64-minimal-20110217.iso" on the hardware?
chiefbag
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You should use the System Rescue livecd if you are having trouble installing Gentoo on new hardware, when I say new I mean newly developed hardware which kernel support may have not filtered down yet to a Gentoo livecd due to lagging kernel versions.

You can safely and in the same manner install Gentoo from a SysRescue livecd.

Please refer to the Official Gentoo Handbook for instructions on installing Gentoo.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/

Hope this points you in the right direction. :idea:
chiefbag
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a grub prompt after rebooting then you probably incorrectly configured the grub install part.

Double check the docs again and follow the part that refers to installing the boot loader, you may not need to use the livecd again if you do a manual grub install from the grub command line.

Failing that, reboot with a livecd and check you copied the mtab file also double check your grub.conf

Refer here for grub error list.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot to the grub> prompt, then:
Code:
find /boot/grub/stage1
find /etc/fstab
Post the results.

Have you tried any other bootable cd's ?
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosetta wrote:
DONAHUE wrote:

Are you expecting the iso or system rescue CD to install Gentoo in the same way as say a Ubuntu install disk? If so, prepare to be disappointed :-)

There is no automatic Gentoo installer. The system rescue CD and the iso images give you a bootable OS (from the CD) that gives you a command line and tools for you to issue manual commands to configure your disks, copy over software and configuration data, compile your kernel and configure your system and boot loader. When you've done all that, you will have a bootable system on your hardware, and can therefore boot Gentoo.

You need to follow all the steps in the Gentoo Handbook.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and a big avantage with SystemRescueCD, is that you can surf the net and use firefox to post on the forum if you are stuck.
muhsinzubeir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well an old thread but I always prefer rescuecd....I just downloaded a gentoo cd and it misses gparted,gui apps like firefox etc.

P:S
I cant imagine someone performing install without browsing on the internet
Nvidia GT200
http://www.zanbytes.com
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

muhsinzubeir wrote:
Well an old thread but I always prefer rescuecd....I just downloaded a gentoo cd and it misses gparted,gui apps like firefox etc.

Was it the 'minimal' CD? That indeed (I think) doesn't contain any window manager and such, but the LiveDVD to my understanding does.

I, too, usually suggest the SystemRescueCd though, for I've often seen it help people with one of the most important aspects of the install: their connection to the internet (of course, there's always the sneakernet as an option too!).

That said, the LiveDVD was made to be used too! I'm not sure it was made with installation as a top priority, however.

muhsinzubeir wrote:

P:S
I cant imagine someone performing install without browsing on the internet

If I had the need, I used www-client/links in the past right off the console, especially during my first installation processes. I believe it's still included in the minimal install CD. ^^

Fun times.
Gloom_Scythe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know i just got back into gentoo since 2004.. i cant believe what im reading... rescuecd really.. what the hell happen? The gentoo community used to be welcoming and promote, infact use the help they give to improve the operating system... i see big disconnect when gentoo community is basically calling users noobs and telling them "what do you expect its not ubuntu"... wow. WHAT HAPPENED. I do want to tell you gentoo is not like that. Do some research and come back and list technical specs. DONT USE THE RESCUECD... most of the ppl that reccomend that are lazy. so sad...''

Oh by the way google some of the issues newer users are having and if the gentoo rescuecd is the way to go abandon the current documentation on gentoo.org.... Please and include the rescuecd and docs on installing (ya i know how to i just choose not to) USEING THE RESUCEcd on www.gentoo.org. Thats not the gentoo way :/. At least that is my opinion.....
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloom, the reason why we recommend using the rescuecd isn't because we are lazy. The reason is the fact that the minimal cd does not have the best hardware support. It doesn't matter what linux cd you use to install gentoo. A good portion of the issues when people use the minimal boot cd is either not having the needed network drivers or not supporting EFI (you have to boot in EFI to set that up). Having a WM to use firefox is a bonus only. It doesn't matter what boot cd you use, as the steps are pretty much the same (except on most boot cd's you can skip the setting up your network, as it's usually already done for you). This last time I reinstalled gentoo, I used the Fedora boot cd myself, but used the gentoo handbook doing the same steps like I've done for last 10 years.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot has changed in a decade. :wink:

Even so, the Gentoo Way has always been about offering options, so the user can make their own choices. So, using the System Rescue CD (which is built on Gentoo, by the way) is completely in line with the Gentoo Way. It is a good middle between the minimal iso and the LiveDVD that we offer. It is up to date and full with useful tools.

You don't have to be a Gentoo developer to contribute, and we welcome the very useful community contribution from the makers of System Rescue CD.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: