Basic RAID1 doubt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urcindalo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Basic RAID1 doubt Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I've googled for an answer to my question below but I got lost amidst such technical readings. I use a 2TB internal drive merely for data backup, and I just received today a brand new 2TB external USB drive I'll use as a backup of the internal 2TB drive. I was thinking of raiding both 2TB drives as RAID1, so that I whenever I change something in the internal, the change will be automatically propagated to the external. Both will be formatted as BTRFS.

My question is: what happens if I wanted to work with the internal 2TB drive without plugging in the external USB drive to the computer? Is that possible? Or, will I be able to plug the external drive to another computer and see its content as a regular USB drive?
If that's possible, could I just simply plug the external drive to the computer with the internal RAID1 partner to re-sync the drives?

Again, please excuse me for such a basic question.
Thanks in advance.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is possible but there's no way I would recommend it unless you maybe mount the one drive or the other readonly while the two drives are disconnected. As soon as you mount either one writeable by itself and make changes, you have broken the mirror set. There is no "re-synch" option when this happens, so you are effectively rebuilding the entire mirror each time you do this.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urcindalo,

Raid1 is not back up. In fact a single copy is not a backup either.
When the primary fails, you have a copy and no backup.

rm file removes file from all elements of a raid set. The idea of raid is to provide redundency, so the system keeps going if a drive fails.
It lets you choose when to fix it. You still need backups.

Raid over USB is a bad idea as USB is not reliable enough. USB2 does not support DMA either, so its CPU intensive.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Basic RAID1 doubt Reply with quote

urcindalo wrote:
what happens if I wanted to work with the internal 2TB drive without plugging in the external USB drive to the computer?

You'll have a degraded RAID in need of re-sync. If you enable bitmap, there's a possibility that only the changed parts will be resynced.

urcindalo wrote:
If that's possible, could I just simply plug the external drive to the computer with the internal RAID1 partner to re-sync the drives?

Unless you write a udev rule or something to automate it, you will still need to manually execute mdadm /dev/mdx --re-add /dev/sdxy.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea for USB, although I do something similar with internal drives (I have a RAID-1 layer on my SSD so I can mirror it to HDD from time to time, so I can boot off HDD if the SSD ever dies).

For USB drives, I just rsync...
urcindalo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers.
The data are personal photos and videos and I just want to have duplicate files in case one of the drives fails. My goal was to achieve it with the less actions on my part.
After reading your explanations I think it will be much easier and convenient for me to use a software solution like luckyBackup to sync both drives whenever I find the need.
Again, thanks very much for your ideas.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have scripting skills, you could write a quick Perl or Shell script that could check to see if the drive is mounted, and if so, do an rsync sans delete option to your external drive of the stuff you care about. You could even put it on cron if you so desired.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: