fstab flags for various partitions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GummyGum173
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: fstab flags for various partitions Reply with quote

Hello,

I have partitioned my FS, and I need some safe flags for those partitions (like someone recommended me in the past to disable exec in tmp and such things).
This is my fstab content:

Code:
/dev/sda2               /boot           ext2            defaults,noatime        0 2
/dev/sda3               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/sda4               /               ext4            noatime         0 1
/dev/sda5               /usr            ext4            defaults        0 2
/dev/sda6               /tmp            ext4            defaults        0 2
/dev/sda7               /opt            ext4            defaults        0 2
/dev/sda8               /var/tmp        ext4            defaults        0 2
/dev/sda9               /var/log        ext4            defaults        0 2
/dev/sda10              /home           ext4            defaults        0 2

Thank you guys in advance :)
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frequently the "noexec,nosuid" flags are applied to /tmp.

You have a lot of partitions, which can be a bear with slack space management. No matter how big the drive you start with, someday you're going to be shy of space on one partition and have plenty to spare on another.

Another good trick is to bind-mount /tmp over itself. It's not necessary when it's a separate patition, like you have. But when /tmp shares a partition, the bind-mount effectively makes it its own partition, preventing a wide class of link attacks.
GummyGum173
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Quite frequently the "noexec,nosuid" flags are applied to /tmp.

You have a lot of partitions, which can be a bear with slack space management. No matter how big the drive you start with, someday you're going to be shy of space on one partition and have plenty to spare on another.

Another good trick is to bind-mount /tmp over itself. It's not necessary when it's a separate patition, like you have. But when /tmp shares a partition, the bind-mount effectively makes it its own partition, preventing a wide class of link attacks.

That's my partitions size:
Code:

df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2        62M   21M   39M  35% /boot
/dev/sda4       3.8G  156M  3.4G   5% /
/dev/sda5        38G  4.6G   31G  14% /usr
/dev/sda6        20G   44M   19G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda7       9.8G   60M  9.2G   1% /opt
/dev/sda8        20G   49M   19G   1% /var/tmp
/dev/sda9        20G   51M   19G   1% /var/log
/dev/sda10     1008G  342M  957G   1% /home

As you can see,
/boot won't expand, / is very limited, I don't use it much anymore (it might expand a little with every update, but I doubt it will exceed 4GB by the time my HDD dies), /usr is problematic, though I can clean it up once in a while, the /tmps are auto cleaned and so is /log (after a long time), only expandable partition is /home, but it's so huge I doubt I will fill it by the time I switch PCs (as I also game, I tend to replace different parts every once in a while).

Anyway, I am sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but what I asked is what rules should I set to each partition for maximum security?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can make a pretty good argument that "nosuid" should apply to every partition except / and /usr. I'm a bit iffy about /opt on that one, but just checked the /opt of the machine I'm sitting at, and there are no suid executables in /opt/*/bin. I'm a little iffy about /var/tmp, but would start with nosuid there too.

The "noexec" would have to be more sparingly applied. For instance, many people have $HOME/bin. I would still apply "noexec" to /tmp and /var/log. I think there might be build-time cases where "temporary executables" are built in /var/tmp and then run, so I'd keep that one capable of execution.

Keep in mind this isn't "maximum security", it's simply one more thing you can do.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may use lvm and use the lvm concept itself therefore you can move your free space later around.

such a layout just causes troubles as said earlier with filling up or having too much free nodes.

you may think about why do you really need such a layout in the first place at all.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What depontius said; you can see the settings I use here.

And yeah lvm rocks; but it needs physical volumes (aka partitions) to work with in the first place. I use it extensively, and have done for years, but equally I also use separate partitions and mounts.

Running out of space on /usr or some other partition is no fun at all, when you don't have lvm. As for shoving it all in one rootfs, that just makes me laugh.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
What depontius said; you can see the settings I use here.

And yeah lvm rocks; but it needs physical volumes (aka partitions) to work with in the first place. I use it extensively, and have done for years, but equally I also use separate partitions and mounts.

Running out of space on /usr or some other partition is no fun at all, when you don't have lvm. As for shoving it all in one rootfs, that just makes me laugh.

Oops, I forget about "nodev". I've used lvm in the past, but it trips me up because its one of those things you seldom interact with. Then when you really need to do something, you have to go back and relearn it. I have a friend who has some distrust of it because it can scatter your data about on disk, making it harder to pick up the pieces if your data has a really bad day.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
I've used lvm in the past, but it trips me up because its one of those things you seldom interact with. Then when you really need to do something, you have to go back and relearn it.

Yeah but that's what's so nice about the Unix method of plaintext .conf files in /etc. LVM is one of those things that as you say, just sits in the background and does it's job boringly well. The kind of stuff I like, as I can rely on it.

The only issues I've ever seen were because of udev and the "we don't like Unix, lol" approach.
Quote:
I have a friend who has some distrust of it because it can scatter your data about on disk, making it harder to pick up the pieces if your data has a really bad day.

Well, first thing I always do is partition a large home, which is always just a straight partition on disk. When I have to switch machines because of hardware age, I use the old drive/home as a backup partition in the new box.

As for "scattered files" I feel all right about that, because a) the dm-mapper is at kernel level, and I trust Torvalds when it comes to the overall project, and b) file-systems can put data all over the shop anyway. This is at a much bigger chunk size, in order for the FS to work on top of it.

In any event, nothing will save you if you don't backup your data. Having all the data on one physical partition is not useful if the disk is fscked, or your bloated system software has trashed it because it's been coded by someone who thinks he's smarter than the rest of the world, or at least all the computer scientists of the past, whose work he relies on.

Still, I'm not an admin; it's not me who gets called out at 3am to sort out a server, tf ;-) That's what IRC is for when it comes to coding.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: