Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
restarting samba for just one share possible ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javeree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: restarting samba for just one share possible ? Reply with quote

When I boot my system, I share some drives to my network.
Apart from this, I have an encrypted filesystem that I have to unlock manually and then share. the decrypted filesystem is accessible through /mnt/decrypted.

So after I start, samba is just sharing /mnt/decrypted, which is an empty directory.
Then I decrypt => decrypt encrypted_FS /mnt/decrypted

When I ls /mnt/decrypted locally, I see the decrypted files. When I look at the samba share, I still see the empty directory.
In order to make the decrypted files available, I need to 'refresh' the samba share /mnt/decrypted. Actually, this means release the link that samba has to the lower lying /mnt/decrypted and relink to the system that is mounted on top of it.

However, the only way I found to do this is to restart samba completely /etc/init.d/samba restart.
Restarting samba also means all other shares are temporarily interrupted, possibly breaking the connections of other users.
So my question is if there is a way for samba to 'restart' a single share, something like 'samba --reload /mnt/decrypted'.

Alternatively, would there be a way to specify a samba share in such a way that samba automatically displays the topmost mounted filesystem of a certain directory ?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of work each time, but you could comment out the share in the smb.conf file each time before you reboot. Then do you decrypt/mount, uncomment and then do an "/etc/init.d/samba reload". That should start the share without booting off existing share users.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you look into using swat to do your samba admin from a web client, you should be able to do all of this from it. I never use it because it can tend to clobber manual settings that I have to do when dealing with life as an active directory domain member.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: