exim and aliases file
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: exim and aliases file Reply with quote

Been using a stock Gentoo exim for outgoing mail from a system for awhile. Now trying to set it up to handle incoming temporarily, but a test message to the system fails with the following in the mail.log:

Apr 27 12:03:51 free exim[16698]: 2003-04-27 12:03:51 199od5-0004LJ-00 == whit@obscuredomain.com R=system_aliases defer (-1): failed to expand "${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE}}": failed to open SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE for linear search: No such file or directory

This confuses me since /etc/aliases does exist (as well as /etc/exim/aliases and /etc/mail/aliases - just to be sure). What is Gentoo's exim defaulting to for SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE - a compile-time option, and I could look there of course, but have a lot else to do on deadline, so thought I'd ask :wink:

Further note: Hardcoding it in exim.conf to:

Code:
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
does work (along with setting access to /var/spool/mail so exim can get in) ... but it's not the "right" way, is it?
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: exim and aliases file Reply with quote

whit wrote:
Hardcoding it in exim.conf to:

Code:
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
does work

The code above is what's in my exim.conf, but I cannot remember whether I put that in myself or whether it was part of the default exim.conf file.
whit wrote:
but it's not the "right" way, is it?

I don't see why that is "wrong". That's been my aliases setup for several months with no side effects. /etc/aliases isn't going to move, so if that works you might as well leave it like that.
vgd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: exim aliases fixed in new ebuild Reply with quote

SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE is actually supposed to be replaced with a path

The install script that comes with Exim src does this.

I have submitted an updated ebuild that sets it to /etc/mail/aliases

vgd
grobian
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild simply took the wrong config file to install as exim.conf.dist, this is fixed now, thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: